The Student Room Group

A levels exam

So I’m very new to a levels, and I am taking a course online for them. However, I am planning to do the first year in my country, then move to UK to complete the second year. Does anyone know if I would be able to take AS level exams, or if I can be accepted to do the second yr of a levels at a college/uni in the UK when I move there next yr? (this is on the assumption that my grades are above average).
Original post by Nah_7
So I’m very new to a levels, and I am taking a course online for them. However, I am planning to do the first year in my country, then move to UK to complete the second year. Does anyone know if I would be able to take AS level exams, or if I can be accepted to do the second yr of a levels at a college/uni in the UK when I move there next yr? (this is on the assumption that my grades are above average).

One complicating factor with your plan is that A levels in most of the UK (i.e. in England) no longer work the way they work overseas or in the rest of the UK. In England it is a single qualification, taken across two years - it is not split into AS and A2 exams. This means that there is no pre-set order in which the different topics must be taught - as long as they've all been covered by the end of the second year. So you could find yourself arriving in England without having covered some topics that others in your class covered the year before, and then being taught topics you already know.

For that reason, you might want to target Wales or Northern Ireland rather than England for your 2nd year. (Scotland has a completely different education system.) You'll also want to ensure that the school / college you join in the UK is using the same exam board that you've studied for the first year, and that they both doing A levels or both doing International A levels. Are you studying and science subjects? If so, then you have the added complication of required practicals which form part of the A level specification (but which I don't believe appear in the International A level specification).

What's the motivation behind this plan? It seems fraught with complication and risk. If you're hoping that studying the second year of A levels in the UK will allow you to qualify for "home" fees / student loans / etc., then you'll be surprised to learn that it won't.
Original post by Nah_7

This sounds unnecessarily complicated, as @DataVenia has mentioned.

If you're doing A Levels outside of the UK, then you're likely doing International A Levels. If you're doing A Levels in the UK, they would be UK A Levels. The specifications are different, even if there is a lot of overlap in content. See the following as examples for Maths:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/mathematics-7357/specification-at-a-glance
https://www.oxfordaqa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/oxfordaqa-international-as-and-a-level-mathematics-specification.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-specification-issue4.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2018/Specification-and-Sample-Assessment/International-A-Level-Maths-Spec-Issue3.pdf
https://ocr.org.uk/Images/308723-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-mathematics-a-h240.pdf
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/597421-2023-2025-syllabus.pdf

What is key to note is that in UK specs, they allow you to do AS or A Level, but not A2 i.e. you can do AS and then stop but then not allow to come back to it later; If you intend to do the full A Level, you would need to sit for the whole A Level.

Whilst there are colleges that do offer international A Levels, they're usually at colleges that are difficult to find. It would be easier if you continue your education online during your second year unless you can find a college that adheres to the international A Level spec.

If you do happen to go for a standard 6th form college where they only do UK A Levels, then you would need to discuss with the college themselves to see if you can go straight into your second year after your AS. If not, you are likely required to start A Levels from scratch, assuming you're at most 17 by the time you enroll for college. This is a case by case basis, so you would need to see what individual colleges would say.

On the other hand, if you studied UK A Levels whilst you're outside of UK, you should be able to pick up where you left off when you enroll in a UK 6th form college. However, this would again depend on whether the college would accept you based on your results and whether they accept the circumstances of your current study. This is a case by case basis.

The first thing I would do is to email all of the 6th form colleges that you wish to enroll into in the UK and see what they say. If they can be particular about your AS studies, you can offer the suggestions that I mentioned above to see whether they would sway their opinion. (Good luck though.)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
One complicating factor with your plan is that A levels in most of the UK (i.e. in England) no longer work the way they work overseas or in the rest of the UK. In England it is a single qualification, taken across two years - it is not split into AS and A2 exams. This means that there is no pre-set order in which the different topics must be taught - as long as they've all been covered by the end of the second year. So you could find yourself arriving in England without having covered some topics that others in your class covered the year before, and then being taught topics you already know.

For that reason, you might want to target Wales or Northern Ireland rather than England for your 2nd year. (Scotland has a completely different education system.) You'll also want to ensure that the school / college you join in the UK is using the same exam board that you've studied for the first year, and that they both doing A levels or both doing International A levels. Are you studying and science subjects? If so, then you have the added complication of required practicals which form part of the A level specification (but which I don't believe appear in the International A level specification).

What's the motivation behind this plan? It seems fraught with complication and risk. If you're hoping that studying the second year of A levels in the UK will allow you to qualify for "home" fees / student loans / etc., then you'll be surprised to learn that it won't.

Ah I see. Well the course I’m taking online gives me access to the books for two years, so on the chance that I do continue a levels in the UK, I will also be doing a lot of studying on my own. I’ll look into Wales and Northern Ireland.

Yes I am taking Bio, Psych and Math UK A-levels (not international), and the practical aspect is also something I’m being cautious of. My exam will be done in the UK. Thank you for the advice to look into what exam board the colleges offer, as well as the fact that I wouldn’t be able to take the AS exams separately from A2 exams. I was trying to find this info, but could not.

The reason for this plan was just to keep my options open, with the UK being the better place to go. My country does not offer A-levels, and the only place that does is a private secondary school which is not in my budget. They also do not offer further learning such as bachelors, masters etc. So along with applying for colleges in Canada and US (as a backup), I am looking into places in the UK, since my country offers scholarships there, as well as the first 2 years (A levels), being free. But yes this is something I’ll look into further, thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
This sounds unnecessarily complicated, as @DataVenia has mentioned.

If you're doing A Levels outside of the UK, then you're likely doing International A Levels. If you're doing A Levels in the UK, they would be UK A Levels. The specifications are different, even if there is a lot of overlap in content. See the following as examples for Maths:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/mathematics-7357/specification-at-a-glance
https://www.oxfordaqa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/oxfordaqa-international-as-and-a-level-mathematics-specification.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-specification-issue4.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2018/Specification-and-Sample-Assessment/International-A-Level-Maths-Spec-Issue3.pdf
https://ocr.org.uk/Images/308723-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-mathematics-a-h240.pdf
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/597421-2023-2025-syllabus.pdf

What is key to note is that in UK specs, they allow you to do AS or A Level, but not A2 i.e. you can do AS and then stop but then not allow to come back to it later; If you intend to do the full A Level, you would need to sit for the whole A Level.

Whilst there are colleges that do offer international A Levels, they're usually at colleges that are difficult to find. It would be easier if you continue your education online during your second year unless you can find a college that adheres to the international A Level spec.

If you do happen to go for a standard 6th form college where they only do UK A Levels, then you would need to discuss with the college themselves to see if you can go straight into your second year after your AS. If not, you are likely required to start A Levels from scratch, assuming you're at most 17 by the time you enroll for college. This is a case by case basis, so you would need to see what individual colleges would say.

On the other hand, if you studied UK A Levels whilst you're outside of UK, you should be able to pick up where you left off when you enroll in a UK 6th form college. However, this would again depend on whether the college would accept you based on your results and whether they accept the circumstances of your current study. This is a case by case basis.

The first thing I would do is to email all of the 6th form colleges that you wish to enroll into in the UK and see what they say. If they can be particular about your AS studies, you can offer the suggestions that I mentioned above to see whether they would sway their opinion. (Good luck though.)

Thank you. My other plan was to continue the full a-levels online. I will look into the 6th form colleges to see what the situation would be like. I am doing UK a levels so hopefully I can just continue where I stopped (even if I have to relearn some topics). Thank you again!
Original post by Nah_7
Thank you. My other plan was to continue the full a-levels online. I will look into the 6th form colleges to see what the situation would be like. I am doing UK a levels so hopefully I can just continue where I stopped (even if I have to relearn some topics). Thank you again!

Kind of forgot to mention: 6th form colleges tend to teach their A Levels according to specific exam boards that the teachers chose. If you are currently studying A Levels in a different exam board, there might be nuances/differences in other exam boards you might need to make up for when it comes to studying at a specific 6th form college.
Having said that, all the exam boards tend to be similar in the content they cover, so it's not going to be exactly a Herculean task or will strictly require you to do everything over.

Quick Reply

Latest