The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE ENGLISH (foundation)

​Hey! I just wanted to know what overall level I might have got for my English Langauge GCSE, here are all the c.a, s+l and exam scores I got:69/80 for the English Language exam
8/20 8/20 12/20 12/20 for controlled assessments (I did ridiculously bad in those, probably because I never knew how serious my English GCSE is.)
9/15 9/15 12/15 for my speaking and listening.

I would be so grateful if you was able to give me an outline of what I might have got, I haven't given any averages in the above scores so I have no idea, I'm like so worried because my teacher keeps mentioning not being able to do English lit. if you don't pass (C). :frown:
Original post by Someone help me

I haven't got the most up to date grade boundaries, so I've had to use the grade boundaries from 2012 (although they shouldn't be too dissimilar).

69/80 in the Unit 1 Exam converts to 83 UMS - a C
30/45 in the Unit 2 Speaking is less stellar and converts into 38/60 UMS - a C (people tend to do best in Unit 2, which doesn't do you any favours).
40/80 in the Unit 3 Controlled Assessments converts into 65/120 UMS - a D.

The total UMS is 186. The UMS boundary for a C is 180. This means that (assuming my calculations are correct and that Units 2+3 are the same for Higher and Foundation) that you would still scrape a C with those marks. Having said that, these are using last year's grade boundaries and they would only have to increase by a tiny amount this year for those scores to be worth lower than a C. For security, I would suggest possibly taking the higher english language exam to try to increase the UMS for that, or possibly retaking some of the controlled assessments/speaking and listening assessments to try to increase the safety buffer. You only really need an extra 10 UMS to increase the security of the C.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I haven't got the most up to date grade boundaries, so I've had to use the grade boundaries from 2012 (although they shouldn't be too dissimilar).

69/80 in the Unit 1 Exam is outstanding and converts into full UMS (120) - an A*.
30/45 in the Unit 2 Speaking is less stellar and converts into 38/60 UMS - a C (people tend to do best in Unit 2, which doesn't do you any favours).

The total UMS is 223. This means that you should get a B in total for all of the units. Even though your performance in Units 2 and 3 isn't great, the full UMS in Unit 1 really boosts your score.

In the title they said they were doing foundation, so I'm guessing they meant they did foundation for the exam.
Original post by GekoFan
In the title they said they were doing foundation, so I'm guessing they meant they did foundation for the exam.

I didn't notice that. Updated my post, thanks!
Original post by Chlorophile

69/80 in the Unit 1 Exam converts to 83 UMS - a C

The total UMS is 186. The UMS boundary for a C is 180. This means that (assuming my calculations are correct and that Units 2+3 are the same for Higher and Foundation) that you would still scrape a C with those marks. Having said that, these are using last year's grade boundaries and they would only have to increase by a tiny amount this year for those scores to be worth lower than a C. For security, I would suggest possibly taking the higher english language exam to try to increase the UMS for that, or possibly retaking some of the controlled assessments/speaking and listening assessments to try to increase the safety buffer. You only really need an extra 10 UMS to increase the security of the C.

unfortunately, my school isn't letting us retake any controlled assessments, I personally think my work was marked so harshly and I'm pretty sure it's incorrect, I'm now absolutely frightened for these results, already failed :frown:
Reply 5
unfortunately, my school isn't letting us retake any controlled assessments, I personally think my work was marked so harshly and I'm pretty sure it's incorrect, I'm now absolutely frightened for these results, already failed :frown:

Can you not sit the higher English exam this summer? It might be too late to enter i don't know.

Though there's a November re-sit of the English exam you can do, if you get your final grade and it is a D (which it might not be anyway), you can apply for the higher English re-sit for November.

Also, I think the controlled assessments gets moderated anyway, so your marks may even go up.
I don't really know how it works though.
Original post by GekoFan
Can you not sit the higher English exam this summer? It might be too late to enter i don't know.

Though there's a November re-sit of the English exam you can do, if you get your final grade and it is a D (which it might not be anyway), you can apply for the higher English re-sit for November.

Also, I think the controlled assessments gets moderated anyway, so your marks may even go up.
I don't really know how it works though.

I passed!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Wey hey congrats! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending