The Student Room Group

£6.99 for a monthly sub?!

Seems slightly excessive, given there's essentially nothing more for the additional money.

Can only assume it's so that TSR's owner(s) can do this with subscriber's money:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zjs
Seems slightly excessive, given there's essentially nothing more for the additional money.

Can only assume it's so that TSR's owner(s) can do this with subscriber's money:

You've been misinformed, you get other benefits like free access to the sister TSR site which allows you to create revision cards, upload essays etc, but still, it's not worth it for 6.99 and alot of outrage has been created amongst the subs.
Technically, it is a significant saving if you want access to the sister site study tools, then you get the additional TSR sub benefits at either no or a very low cost.

Ofcourse, if you have no desire to access the sister sites, it is a significant increase.
Reply 3
It's £39.99 for the year, I believe. So not even £4 a month!
Original post by OU Student
It's £39.99 for the year, I believe. So not even £4 a month!

It's also almost a Netflix subscription
Reply 5
where is this pricing? when i look at the sub page it just says tsr is till working on it
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Apocaly
where is this pricing? when i look at the sub page it just sats tsr is till working on it

There has been a communication from the community team to existing subscribers, but I don't believe that the same has yet been done more widely. Hopefully this should be done soon.
It's quite nice to see who negs/reps you. Also having more reps to give makes your effect on the community somewhat amplified.
£6.99 is a lot for a subscription to an internet forum but I can see the rationale behind it (assuming what I think the rationale is, is correct), which I can appreciate and agree with.
Have people been thoroughly informed of this decision (been given reasons) or have they simply been told of the price increase? If they haven't been offered reasons I think doing so would prove beneficial assuming this price is causing some upset. If people have been subscribing for some time I could assume that they have a sense of loyalty to the forum and i'd imagine that they would care about the forum as well as their cash (I could be wrong though).
I actually have a friend on here who is inactive yet they still pay for their subscription :rolleyes:
(for the frugal: i've tried to get them to cancel it - 'can't be bothered' is the response I get).

I know this may sounds obvious, but here's why I think the price has been increased:
The people who own tsr are trying to grow tsr and the affiliate sites.

People don't like change. It's a part of life but people are quite happy with what they know and this is a problem for a company that is trying to move forward and build a bigger future.
Despite the internet being as big as it is and despite the young population spending the majority of their time on the internet, a lot of people still prefer the paper way of studying and making their own flashcards and various other paper resources.
Not many people will change the way they do things on the spur of the moment, especially when that's the way they have been studying for their 10ish years of education. People need a push to change and people need a reason to try something new (most of the time).

I don't know the other sites that well, but i'd assume the actual SR is the biggest asset. If you're getting a membership to these other sites for such a hefty price, do you think you'd be more likely to give those other sites a go? It doesn't mean you'll like it, and it doesn't mean you'll go back there more than once - but would you be more likely to give it a go? Just once?

They want you to use it, they want it to grow. Is that really a bad thing?

I seriously doubt the extra money is just for the employees to get a bigger salary - it isn't good business sense. It will be being put back into their company somewhere else. Perhaps get another worker in to improve the tsr forum, or another build another affiliate. I don't know where but it'll be put somewhere. If the owners really just wanted to sit on our money and that was it (in response to the OP and the YouTube vid) I really don't think they would have been looking after and growing this site for over 10 years. I mean, it's possible, but not likely.

This is just my two cents and I could be completely wrong, but this is just how i'm looking at it.

this could backfire a bit -
some people on TSR may be from wealthy backgrounds who wouldn't think twice about the new price and so may be less inclined to be 'pushed' to try out the affiliate sites.
Laughably expensive. I can pay for web hosting for a fith of a TSR subscription per month. Shouldn't be more than £2-3 IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,

At the moment we don't have a subscription to TSR - we've paused the old subscription model and are planning to launch the new subscription later this week. All we've done at the moment is inform current subscribers and started to update our FAQ's.

We'll be doing a lot more shouting about the new sub' and why it's way better than the old one then, but the new model will essentially be made up of 3 parts. A subscription to TSR, a subscription to our epic essay library with essays marked by A* students and teachers, and a subscription to our premium revision tools.

If you have any immediate questions, do let me know. Otherwise all will be revealed later this week (we're currently planning for Thursday, but with any tech development dates may change!)
Reply 11
Original post by .:Twilight:.
They want you to use it, they want it to grow.

Sounds like you're discussing something else here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zjs
Sounds like you're discussing something else here.

I felt like I needed to as I assumed it would be linked to the price increase rather than simply sitting on the cash as I thought was your worry. I couldn't discuss them sitting on a pile of money if that's not what I thought :redface:. I do have a tendency to go off track and get ahead of myself though :tongue:
Original post by The_Last_Melon
It's quite nice to see who negs/reps you. Also having more reps to give makes your effect on the community somewhat amplified.

Isn't that sad though? Effectively you're paying for influence that you don't even have. ..rather than earning it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by de_monies
It's also almost a Netflix subscription

If someone subscribes and finds the extra academic content useful leading to them getting better exam results then £40 doesn’t seem that steep in the scheme of life?
Original post by CJ
Hey everyone,

At the moment we don't have a subscription to TSR - we've paused the old subscription model and are planning to launch the new subscription later this week. All we've done at the moment is inform current subscribers and started to update our FAQ's.

We'll be doing a lot more shouting about the new sub' and why it's way better than the old one then, but the new model will essentially be made up of 3 parts. A subscription to TSR, a subscription to our epic essay library with essays marked by A* students and teachers, and a subscription to our premium revision tools.

If you have any immediate questions, do let me know. Otherwise all will be revealed later this week (we're currently planning for Thursday, but with any tech development dates may change!)

Hello Chris! Hope you're well and all that ...

Can I subscribe to TSR without subscribing to other websites? I have no desire for "revision tools" (premium, or otherwise) and I've been known to pen a fairly "epic" essay myself once-in-a-while ... I assume it would be charged at one-third the stated price.
Original post by Idle
If someone subscribes and finds the extra academic content useful leading to them getting better exam results then £40 doesn’t seem that steep in the scheme of life?

Adopting your skewered logic, you could justify charging £200 in the ambiguous "scheme of life" ....

Presumably students have access to a teacher, a library, and a Waterstones store. What possible "extra academic content" that only TSR could offer - at that ludicrous price? Or is this merely a surreptitious ploy designed to prop-up a different website certain people have a pecuniary interest in?

If anything, a fairly obvious and necessary condition of studying and revision should be to turn off the laptop. TSR used to be great for chatting, debating and generally wasting time. Of course you could ask the odd question, but it didn't pretend to be anything more than it is.
If it's a choice between a Spotify sub and a TSR sub (with a load of other websites I have no intention of using and no need for), then Spotify will win every time.

IF anything you should LOWER the sub fee - I always thought it was a bit heafty. £2 is a more appropriate level.
Reply 18
Original post by Lord Hysteria
Adopting your skewered logic, you could justify charging £200 in the ambiguous "scheme of life" ....

Presumably students have access to a teacher, a library, and a Waterstones store. What possible "extra academic content" that only TSR could offer - at that ludicrous price? Or is this merely a surreptitious ploy designed to prop-up a different website certain people have a pecuniary interest in?

If anything, a fairly obvious and necessary condition of studying and revision should be to turn off the laptop. TSR used to be great for chatting, debating and generally wasting time. Of course you could ask the odd question, but it didn't pretend to be anything more than it is.

Not everyone has amazing teachers who are passionate about their subject, some self teach. Some people are willing to pay 4 figures a year on private schools and tutoring. It's a little bit more than a large big mac meal for a month, if someone tries it and doesn't think it helps them then what have they lost?

The Study Help forums have millions of posts with people asking or giving help, I personally don't use the site much for academic help and use it how you describe but a lot don't. The stand alone sites have large subscriber bases so it would appear a lot of people find them helpful.. But yeah I really am not interested in getting into a drawn out debate over this. If you feel differently, fair enough :yy:
Original post by Idle

As people have said before, a tiered system would be much better ie: for those that want the extra features, they pay the £6.99. For those that don't, they pay less.

I'm also guessing the extra academic content would be for people from sixth form and below, purely due to the vast diverse range of uni courses? If that's the case, there really is NO benefit for the extra academic content for me. A tiered system is far far better. People do keep saying this, but TSR doesn't listen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending