The Student Room Group

Budget/rent for research council stipend

Hi! I'm starting my postgrad soon and getting standard UKRI stipend (not London) - was wondering if anyone who gets this would be willing to share how much they end up spending on rent/bills and what they get for it? I'm a bit clueless about what I can actually realistically afford and haven't found much recent helpful discussion about it
Hi @eeeli.
My name is Lucie and I am a PhD student with UKRI stipend. Regarding your question: I think it depends where you live and what are your monthly needs. I have extra job (Student ambassador for Cranfield university 😊) because my expenses are quite high.
So where do you live, and are you living alone or in the sharehouse? Have you got a car?

All these factors change a situation. For example if you live in sharehouse outside of city without any car, the UkRI stipned could be theoretically sufficient for you.

Looking forward to hearing your answers 😊

Lucie,
PhD student
Cranfield University
Reply 2
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi @eeeli.
My name is Lucie and I am a PhD student with UKRI stipend. Regarding your question: I think it depends where you live and what are your monthly needs. I have extra job (Student ambassador for Cranfield university 😊) because my expenses are quite high.
So where do you live, and are you living alone or in the sharehouse? Have you got a car?

All these factors change a situation. For example if you live in sharehouse outside of city without any car, the UkRI stipned could be theoretically sufficient for you.

Looking forward to hearing your answers 😊

Lucie,
PhD student
Cranfield University

Thanks Lucie! I’ll be living in Birmingham and was hoping to live alone rather than in a shared house, but I don’t have a car.
Hi @eeeli. 😊
I think it is possible that you can live in a studio in Birmingham, but please make all the necessary calculations of monthly expenses: rent, bills, food, transport, leisure. Ask yourself following questions: “Will the stipend be sufficient to cover all those or will I have to find extra income?”
I suggest you do some research on how much are rents of studios in Birmingham and the bills too (monthly bill is higher when you live alone compared to when you live in sharehouse and you sharing electricity amd water with other people).

I believe you will find a solution for yourself so you can live comfortably and have safe environment to study ☺️

Lucie,
PhD student,
Cranfield university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending