The Student Room Group

help for GCSE subjects

hello.... I'm in year 9 and I have chosen my GCSEs for next year.
I have chosen:
English lang
English lit
maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
History
Business studies
Spanish
Religious studies
The thing is that I am getting extremely paranoid about having chosen the right options...
Can you please give me some insight about the options I have chosen and whether there are some options I should not do whatsoever.
I also have some questions: what is a better option for universities and in general:geography/history?( you cant do both)
is sociology better than business?
are my choices good in general, if not what should I replace some with?
Are these choices good for medicine/law in the future?
thank you for replying:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
as it goes, i was in the same idea - medicine/law. i also chose history and business. these 2 make you look AMAZING when you are applying for law degrees. your options seem good, dont worry
thanks:smile: and you are studying law? was history/business a lot of work cos apparently they both are a lot of work together? what other subjects did you pick?:smile:
Reply 3
I'm finishing my GCSE History exams in June (I'm year 11), and I have done the whole course in one year... (as all of my GCSEs). It is not difficult to understand or anything, you'll just need to pay attention in lessons and revise/keep track of the topic you're currently doing. I wouldn't necessarily call it difficult though.

As for business, I am not personally taking it (although I will take it in AS next year), but my friends that do it told me that it's not diffucult, but it's the same as for history. And you'll have to do some research, but again, it shouldn't be too stressful.

Your choices seem fine...

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Apart from the standard sciences and english etc which are required anyway, you have chosen a language subject an essay based subject and a business related subject. I similarly chose business, french, spanish (4 years ago, i'm now at the end of year 13). The most important things are that you enjoy these subjects and the skills you gain from them are transferrable to A-level, particularly if you would like to continue one of your optional GCSE courses e.g. taking History at A-level without taking at GCSE although doable, may prove difficult for some so taking it at GCSE level would be wise. At A-level I continued only with Eng Lit, Chem, Bio and Maths, I left behind the subjects I opted for in year 9 as I decided on my career choice around year 11/12 (Medicine) and I can say that they haven't had any bearing on the direction I want to take my education in (apart from the grades I achieved in my GCSEs, which I had to list on my UCAS form). I also think that you should undertake relevant work experience and conduct your own research into the fields you are interested in, this will alow you to make a much more informed decision that you can live with; imagine taking a degree (thats a minimum of three years and currently £9000 of tuition fees a year to pay) that you don't enjoy at all because it's "better" than another! It's never too early to start looking into things, particularly as some of the courses you mentioned Law, Medicine etc, have many open days, seminars, lectures and events for year 11/12 students, it's better to be prepared to know when to attend them. Your final decision will have to be made in your summer holidays after Year 12 so you have plenty of time to think about this. Don't overthink things though and certainly don't become paranoid.
I think your better doing business than sociology :smile: For what you want to do, I think either is fine but business is the way to go :smile: History is a great one to pick, I also picked it :smile: Your choices look great, with a language, a humanity and triple award science :smile:
You have picked very well :smile: Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Seb.
I'm finishing my GCSE History exams in June (I'm year 11), and I have done the whole course in one year... (as all of my GCSEs). It is not difficult to understand or anything, you'll just need to pay attention in lessons and revise/keep track of the topic you're currently doing. I wouldn't necessarily call it difficult though.

As for business, I am not personally taking it (although I will take it in AS next year), but my friends that do it told me that it's not diffucult, but it's the same as for history. And you'll have to do some research, but again, it shouldn't be too stressful.

Your choices seem fine...

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for replying and your reply is extremely helpful:smile:
Original post by therewinder
Apart from the standard sciences and english etc which are required anyway, you have chosen a language subject an essay based subject and a business related subject. I similarly chose business, french, spanish (4 years ago, i'm now at the end of year 13). The most important things are that you enjoy these subjects and the skills you gain from them are transferrable to A-level, particularly if you would like to continue one of your optional GCSE courses e.g. taking History at A-level without taking at GCSE although doable, may prove difficult for some so taking it at GCSE level would be wise. At A-level I continued only with Eng Lit, Chem, Bio and Maths, I left behind the subjects I opted for in year 9 as I decided on my career choice around year 11/12 (Medicine) and I can say that they haven't had any bearing on the direction I want to take my education in (apart from the grades I achieved in my GCSEs, which I had to list on my UCAS form). I also think that you should undertake relevant work experience and conduct your own research into the fields you are interested in, this will alow you to make a much more informed decision that you can live with; imagine taking a degree (thats a minimum of three years and currently £9000 of tuition fees a year to pay) that you don't enjoy at all because it's "better" than another! It's never too early to start looking into things, particularly as some of the courses you mentioned Law, Medicine etc, have many open days, seminars, lectures and events for year 11/12 students, it's better to be prepared to know when to attend them. Your final decision will have to be made in your summer holidays after Year 12 so you have plenty of time to think about this. Don't overthink things though and certainly don't become paranoid.

WOW! that's enlightening....thanks:smile: what university/ties did you apply for and what were your GCSE results?
the strange thing is that i think i know what options i am going to take for A levels but choosing GCSE options seems a lot harder! :curious:
Original post by student@gcse
I think your better doing business than sociology :smile: For what you want to do, I think either is fine but business is the way to go :smile: History is a great one to pick, I also picked it :smile: Your choices look great, with a language, a humanity and triple award science :smile:
You have picked very well :smile: Good luck! :smile:

loads of people pick history so I guess i'll be fine with that:smile: apparently business is boring... did you do it? what other subjects did you pick and what year are you in?:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by onedirectioner7
WOW! that's enlightening....thanks:smile: what university/ties did you apply for and what were your GCSE results?
the strange thing is that i think i know what options i am going to take for A levels but choosing GCSE options seems a lot harder! :curious:

I'll pm you the details, not particularly comfortable about posting them here if that's alright..and no problem :smile: Also, as A-levels have a greater bearing on your degree choice, the hard part won't really be choosing the subjects you take but rather what you'd like to study/go into at university. Many people choose to keep their choices open and go for A-levels that would allow them to apply for a range of courses though so just have an idea of what you'd like to do I suppose at least..
Original post by therewinder
I'll pm you the details, not particularly comfortable about posting them here if that's alright. That's fine!:smile:and no problem :smile: Also, as A-levels have a greater bearing on your degree choice, the hard part won't really be choosing the subjects you take but rather what you'd like to study/go into at university. Many people choose to keep their choices open and go for A-levels that would allow them to apply for a range of courses though so just have an idea of what you'd like to do I suppose at least..

yah I know... what I've always thought is that they don't give you enough options to pick! Therefore, it makes you even more confused about what would be the correct options to choose in order to keep your further studying options open as much as possible!
:smile:
loads of people pick history so I guess i'll be fine with that:smile: apparently business is boring... did you do it? what other subjects did you pick and what year are you in?:smile:

A lot of my year have picked history and I'm about to start the course. From what I've read I wouldn't worry about it :smile: :smile: Yep, business is boring lol. :smile: I'm actually doing sociology and business studies :smile: (Year 11)I've done a few of my gcses but I'm in the process of starting some in September :smile:
The subjects I'm doing/done are
History, Geography, Citizenship, German, English lit, English Lang, Maths, Biology, Journalism, Business studies, Sociology, R.E., (12 in total :smile:
Original post by student@gcse
A lot of my year have picked history and I'm about to start the course. From what I've read I wouldn't worry about it :smile: :smile: Yep, business is boring lol. :smile: I'm actually doing sociology and business studies :smile: (Year 11)I've done a few of my gcses but I'm in the process of starting some in September :smile:
The subjects I'm doing/done are
History, Geography, Citizenship, German, English lit, English Lang, Maths, Biology, Journalism, Business studies, Sociology, R.E., (12 in total :smile:

what about chemistry and physics?????
isn't it compulsory????
Hey i wanted to post here because alot of you seem to being starting your options and i need advise. I was just wondering should i do History or ICT, I'm already doing Geography, German and Art what do you think? Thank you :smile:
Original post by lauren4life
Hey i wanted to post here because alot of you seem to being starting your options and i need advise. I was just wondering should i do History or ICT, I'm already doing Geography, German and Art what do you think? Thank you :smile:

In my opinion, I reckon you should do History because apparently GCSE ICT is a bizarrely boring option and all you'll learn in addition is what you already know..... However, this is entirely my opinion and it really depends on what your interests are...:smile:
You are doing a humanity and a language so you should be fine...
do ICT if you want something different and computer-based or do History if your good/like English and writing loads:smile::tongue: A thing you should know is that Art is extremely time consuming so unless you have a real passion for the subject DO NOT do it because all you'll ever do in your free time is Art work( I'm aware of this as my sister took it and whenever she wanted to revise for science/ maths / any other subject she always gets distracted by her art work load and never gets to any efficient revision for other subjects!!!) As I said, this is completely my opinion.:smile:
good luck (;
I've done both Geography and History at GCSE and have been told universities tend to view History as a more desirable subject than Geography but that is not to say it is not a subject worth taking.
I'm my opinion History is an easier subject than Geography but then again no GCSE's are entirely a walk in the park.
I haven't taken Sociology or Business though if I had the opportunity to do my GCSE's again I would seriously consider taking Business.
I feel universities would see sociology more highly but then again business is still a good subject to choose.
History and sociology are good for law and triple science ( which I've taken - PS not easy , it can be difficult but it is worth it) is in a way expected for medicine , at least take double at a bare minimum if you're considering medicine but triple science always looks good and you get more GCSE's in the long run .
I did German for GCSE which I strongly recommend as I thought it was very rewarding but any language is also valued highly .
Humanities are also valued so take one or two , I took three but two is very good .
I did Film Studies which I recommend highly but many schools don't offer this.
Media studies is also good but very stressful.
I think your options are solid and you have a very good range of different subjects , perhaps get a creative subject in there , I did Media Studies and Film Studies to add even more variation

Original post by emmadawson1997
I've done both Geography and History at GCSE and have been told universities tend to view History as a more desirable subject than Geography but that is not to say it is not a subject worth taking.
I'm my opinion History is an easier subject than Geography but then again no GCSE's are entirely a walk in the park.
I haven't taken Sociology or Business though if I had the opportunity to do my GCSE's again I would seriously consider taking Business.
I feel universities would see sociology more highly but then again business is still a good subject to choose.
History and sociology are good for law and triple science ( which I've taken - PS not easy , it can be difficult but it is worth it) is in a way expected for medicine , at least take double at a bare minimum if you're considering medicine but triple science always looks good and you get more GCSE's in the long run .
I did German for GCSE which I strongly recommend as I thought it was very rewarding but any language is also valued highly .
Humanities are also valued so take one or two , I took three but two is very good .
I did Film Studies which I recommend highly but many schools don't offer this.
Media studies is also good but very stressful.
I think your options are solid and you have a very good range of different subjects , perhaps get a creative subject in there , I did Media Studies and Film Studies to add even more variation

Right... erm, I wanted, desperetley, to do History AND geography but my dumb school decided to lay the options in a way in which you could only do one or the other ( which really took the mick!) :angry: so..... I'm stuck with business as the last option I would like to do in exchange to geography:frown: as I prefer business to the other choices but erm yeah...
my school does not do film studies and I actually don't want to take media...
Is sociology really considered better than business because from all I have heard sociology is considered a 'soft' option:s-smilie:
anyways thanks for replying:smile:
Right... erm, I wanted, desperetley, to do History AND geography but my dumb school decided to lay the options in a way in which you could only do one or the other ( which really took the mick!) :angry: so..... I'm stuck with business as the last option I would like to do in exchange to geography:frown: as I prefer business to the other choices but erm yeah...
my school does not do film studies and I actually don't want to take media...
Is sociology really considered better than business because from all I have heard sociology is considered a 'soft' option:s-smilie:
anyways thanks for replying:smile:

Doing one Humanities subject should be sufficient:smile: I hear that History is more respected than Geography as a GCSE however, note that that may depend on which courses you would like to take further into A Levels and uni. I take history gcse myself and enjoy it a lot more than what I see in my friends geography classes:smile: history is an essay based gcse and requires a lot of writing! I recently wrote around 12-13 pages in a 1 hour 45 minute mock exam!
I personally think business is a better option than sociology. Business studies is actually also considered a "soft subject", basically anything with -studies after it! I find that the course for business studies is actually quite good, you can learn quite a lot about enterprise and how businesses are run from the inside, what their priorities are etc. Depends if that's where your interest lies really:smile:

EDIT: if you want to take law, history and business would be good choices:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
what about chemistry and physics?????
isn't it compulsory????

Nope :smile: You only have to pick one science, but you can do all of them if you want. I don't want a science career so I'm just doing the basic requirements :smile:
Thank you very much. quick advise would taking both Geography and History be too much work and do they have alot of coursework? and secondly i've heard that ICT has alot of coursework. The one i would be doing is called OCR nationals which apparently isn't very good? I think it would be best i take History as i prefer it and considering i have Art i don't want alot of coursework! Haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest