The Student Room Group

Architecture

Which GCSEs should I take for Architecture?
Hi, a few months back I was choosing GCSE options fand I want to be an Architect too :smile:. I’ve created TSR threads but I don’t know how to link them, but if you look at my posts you could find them.

In the end I chose German (got put on the EBACC), Computer Science, 3D-Design, and History, I also got put on Single Science (3 GCSE’s).

A creative subject is ideal for a portfolio and it also helps you improve your drawing. The coursework is a lot but it’s fine as long as you keep on top. What kind of creative GCSE’s does your school offer? For me I chose 3D-Design, which is making models, and figuring out how to make them, not many schools offer this though. Art would also work :smile:

Doing Geography or History would be a good idea. Geography can show you where to build buildings, and History can show you how they were built historically.

Doing single science, is good as you usually do a science for A-level when trying to be an Architect. It helps to bridge the difficulty gap but if not, it isn’t the end of the world.

For the rest do subjects you like or think your good at, this got a bit long, but I hope it helps. If you have any other questions let me know :smile:
Original post by Moonlight:)

... you usually do a science for A-level when trying to be an Architect. It helps to bridge the difficulty gap but if not, it isn’t the end of the world.

That's not true - only a few unis require a science (usually physics or maths) at A level for architecture:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Original post by F - Farida
Which GCSEs should I take for Architecture?

GCSE subject choices do not matter at all in terms of admissions. The ones they will be looking for specific grades in are the subjects you're required to take anyway.

However doing a creative arts GCSE might be a useful preparation for a creative arts A-level, which is often required - if not then a portfolio is often required in any event, and a creative arts GCSE might help begin developing your skills to prepare one (although I doubt any work from the GCSE would be of a suitable level to include in the portfolio ultimately).

Quick Reply

Latest