The Student Room Group

Higher Geography

how is everyone finding geography? the only topic i can not seem to understand is biosphere which my teacher said suppose to be the easiest topic?! anyone able to help me understand soil profiles

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Eh, trying drawing them then try memorising them from there. That is how I memorised them :]
Original post by CSM1996
Eh, trying drawing them then try memorising them from there. That is how I memorised them :]

suppose its just the features and characteristics of the profiles that am having difficulties with
Hi :smile:,

Haven't started studying for Geography yet but will hopefully be after I get my Human Biology, English and Maths exams done and dusted!:smile:

Anyone have any predictions on whats to come up ??

Thanks,
Reply 4
Geography... My nightmare!
I don't even want to think about it until after my Biology exam.

I have good soil profiles sheets and I will scan and post them here after my Biology exam, so probably on Thursday :smile:

Here are the predictions my teacher made:

Compulsory Questions:
Atmosphere - Atmospheric Circulation, Ocean Currents, Heat Budget
Biosphere - Sand Dune Succession
Rural - Commercial Farming
Urban - Advantages/Impacts of shopping malls, Traffic

Optional:

Hydrosphere - Describing Rivers/Valleys (Map), Describing River Feature(s).
Lithosphere - Recognizing limestone features (Map), Describing Feature(s)
Population - Immigration, Birth/Death Rates
Industrial - Reasons for Growth of Industry, Industrial Location (Map)

Hopefully something from this will come up... Pity these are just predictions :frown:
Reply 5
I'm not even looking at geography until after maths! Hoping atmosphere isn't a compulsory question I hate it :frown:
Reply 6
the biosphere unit is one of the dullest things i've ever experienced in my entire life, they're taking the sand dune succession and soil stuff out of it to show mercy to the following years.
Reply 7
Please be Coasts in Paper 2 <3
Original post by Nessie162
Geography... My nightmare!
I don't even want to think about it until after my Biology exam.

I have good soil profiles sheets and I will scan and post them here after my Biology exam, so probably on Thursday :smile:

Here are the predictions my teacher made:

Compulsory Questions:
Atmosphere - Atmospheric Circulation, Ocean Currents, Heat Budget
Biosphere - Sand Dune Succession
Rural - Commercial Farming
Urban - Advantages/Impacts of shopping malls, Traffic

Optional:

Hydrosphere - Describing Rivers/Valleys (Map), Describing River Feature(s).
Lithosphere - Recognizing limestone features (Map), Describing Feature(s)
Population - Immigration, Birth/Death Rates
Industrial - Reasons for Growth of Industry, Industrial Location (Map)

Hopefully something from this will come up... Pity these are just predictions :frown:

Thank you so much and good luck to everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by ChrissyH
Please be Coasts in Paper 2 <3

I think it will be glaciation because it goes in a sort of order unless the sqa decide for a wee change :[

I'm praying for glaciation though, Corrie, terminal moraine and eskers are so much easier to describe than coastal and limestone features :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by CSM1996
I think it will be glaciation because it goes in a sort of order unless the sqa decide for a wee change :[

I'm praying for glaciation though, Corrie, terminal moraine and eskers are so much easier to describe than coastal and limestone features :frown:

Has it not been Coasts, Glaciation and Lithosphere in the last few years.

2012-Limestone, 2011-Glaciation 2010-Coasts 2009- Glaciation

Hopefully it won't be Limestone 2 years in a row and I would hope Glaciation doesn't show up again...-.-
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Has it not been Coasts, Glaciation and Lithosphere in the last few years.

2012-Limestone, 2011-Glaciation 2010-Coasts 2009- Glaciation

Hopefully it won't be Limestone 2 years in a row and I would hope Glaciation doesn't show up again...-.-

I think glaciation occurs every 2 years, with coasts and limestone at either side of it. I don't know why that is but that is the pattern for quite far back! Hopefully it is the same for us.

Well if it is coasts in paper 2, you are going to get limestone or glaciation in paper 1 anyway :tongue:
Reply 12
Dreading it

i will fail
Reply 13
No, just coasts :frown:
anyone kind enough to lend me notes on glacial depositions as i have lost my notes on them :frown: ?
Reply 15
Original post by n x
Dreading it

i will fail

Tash stop kidding yourself, you won't fail it!

No, just coasts :frown:

I wish it was just glaciation. Although I hate glaciation on maps :[
:s-smilie: I really hope those predictions are wrong I hate atmosphere, I think it's just cos our teacher rushed it. Did anyone else not get all the topics covered? my class had to cover urban and industry and hydrosphere at home cos we ran out of class time! Really stressful stuff!
I hope its a limestone 50 marker, i know the limestone stuff like the back of my hand :tongue:
Reply 18
I got 49/50 for my Coasts NAB, give me Coasts please!
The Lithosphere question is always the same as the RLR question the year before. Last year the RLR question was Limestone, so this year the Lithosphere question will be Limestone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending