The Student Room Group

Can’t take AH Modarn, what should I do ???

Hi, I’m currently in S5 making choices for S6 and I took Ah history Ah modern H geography and H pe but have recently discovered my school isn’t running Ah modern and it’s too late to apply for collage.
I want to study law at Glasgow 🤞and the requirements say 5As at Higher ( I’m predicted 4As and a B this year) and an AH humanitarian subject or English, of which I’m taking AH History for as I’m not the best at English.
Would I be ok with one AH and replace Modern with another higher.Or should I try to crash AH Geography and replace H Geography with a different higher. Or should I try take a YAS course which I think is basically open uni and study “law making in Scotland” which is worth 10 SCQF points or study “economics in context” which will get me 30 points.
I know this is a bit of a ramble but some guidance on what people think will be best would be lovely:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Zesty lemon
Hi, I’m currently in S5 making choices for S6 and I took Ah history Ah modern H geography and H pe but have recently discovered my school isn’t running Ah modern and it’s too late to apply for collage.
I want to study law at Glasgow 🤞and the requirements say 5As at Higher ( I’m predicted 4As and a B this year) and an AH humanitarian subject or English, of which I’m taking AH History for as I’m not the best at English.
Would I be ok with one AH and replace Modern with another higher.Or should I try to crash AH Geography and replace H Geography with a different higher. Or should I try take a YAS course which I think is basically open uni and study “law making in Scotland” which is worth 10 SCQF points or study “economics in context” which will get me 30 points.
I know this is a bit of a ramble but some guidance on what people think will be best would be lovely:smile:

Surely you'll be ok with just History if it only requires one Advanced? Usually taking a crash Advanced Higher is recommended against btw.

I do YASS, and 2 AH (English and history), i’d imagine you’d be totally fine just doing history AH
Reply 3
Original post by AMH_2007
Surely you'll be ok with just History if it only requires one Advanced? Usually taking a crash Advanced Higher is recommended against btw.
I thought so but then i don’t know cause that’s the standard entry so I was wondering if doing more AH look better or more highers :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous8876
I do YASS, and 2 AH (English and history), i’d imagine you’d be totally fine just doing history AH

If you don’t mind me asking what YASS course did you do? And what was your experience? I’ve been looking into it and thought the economic course may be interesting or the law one. But I’m not to sure if the points are ucas points or not ? Thank you :smile:
If you don’t mind me asking what YASS course did you do? And what was your experience? I’ve been looking into it and thought the economic course may be interesting or the law one. But I’m not to sure if the points are ucas points or not ? Thank you :smile:

i do the law making course, they don’t count towards UCAS i don’t think, but i’m not totally sure x
(edited 1 month ago)
I'd advise against taking AH Geography!

You say you're not good at English. Are you currently taking it at Higher?
Reply 7
Original post by 1582
I'd advise against taking AH Geography!
You say you're not good at English. Are you currently taking it at Higher?
yes I took higher this year and the English department at my school is shockingly bad ! I barely scraped an A in my higher prelim and have been performing at around a B/C in receant tests 💀
Also why would you advise against AH geography? I know it’s a lot more content but I took three socials at higher this year ( modern studies, politics and history) but never took biology and I feel that may be important but I’m not sure :/
yes I took higher this year and the English department at my school is shockingly bad ! I barely scraped an A in my higher prelim and have been performing at around a B/C in receant tests 💀
Also why would you advise against AH geography? I know it’s a lot more content but I took three socials at higher this year ( modern studies, politics and history) but never took biology and I feel that may be important but I’m not sure :/

Good luck with English, and self-teach if you have to! And of course ask questions on here if there is something you don't understand.

You haven't taken Higher Geography, so AH Geography doesn't sound like a good choice. Have you tried speaking to the geography teachers at your school and seeing if they think AH Geography is a good idea for you without having taken the Higher first?

Biology is a fantastic subject, but I'm admittedly biased because I'm a scientist by training. I don't know how relevant it is in law.

What other subjects have you taken this year? I know that the admissions team for Law at UofG likes to see an A in Higher Maths.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 1582
Good luck with English, and self-teach if you have to! And of course ask questions on here if there isn't something you don't understand.
You haven't taken Higher Geography, so AH Geography doesn't sound like a good choice. Have you tried speaking to the geography teachers at your school and seeing if they think AH Geography is a good idea for you without having taken the Higher first?
Biology is a fantastic subject, but I'm admittedly biased because I'm a scientist by training. I don't know how relevant it is in law.
What other subjects have you taken this year? I know that the admissions team for Law at UofG likes to see an A in Higher Maths.

Hi, the geography department basically said the same as you which I agree with tbh but thought it was worth a shot :smile:
I also have been informed my School isn’t running AH English any way next year so that’s also of the table.
This year I have taken (all higher predicted all As bar maths which I’m predicted a B): History, Modern Studies, Politics, English and maths.
Then next year i have three hopefully confirmed subjects: AH History, higher Geography and higher p.e and now have two other subjects to fill so was thinking somthing down RMe route or business 🙂 although I could also take higher German which ik would look good but I’m dyslexic and struggled at Nat 5💀😂
Thank you thought for the guidance, I’m going to try talk to a guidance teacher ( mine isn’t in and says course choices isn’t her job) or my head of year tmrw !
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi, the geography department basically said the same as you which I agree with tbh but thought it was worth a shot :smile:
I also have been informed my School isn’t running AH English any way next year so that’s also of the table.
This year I have taken (all higher predicted all As bar maths which I’m predicted a B): History, Modern Studies, Politics, English and maths.
Then next year i have three hopefully confirmed subjects: AH History, higher Geography and higher p.e and now have two other subjects to fill so was thinking somthing down RMe route or business 🙂 although I could also take higher German which ik would look good but I’m dyslexic and struggled at Nat 5💀😂

Have you considered AH Maths? A B in that would be considered equivalent to an A at Higher, which Glasgow Uni recommends Law applicants have.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending