The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Do I need to take English for Fashion Technology Course at Galashiels University

Hello,I am currently in the process of choosing my subjects for my last year of secondary school and I am torn between taking Higher English (a subject I don't particularly enjoy) and Advanced Higher Geography (one of my favourite and best subjects).I have checked the entry requirements for getting into the School for Fashion and Textiles university in Galashiels for the Fashion Technology Course and it says that I need AAAB (including English)I was wondering whether they would accept Advanced Higher Geography instead as I already have a National 5 in English and both Geography and English are essay-based subjects. And, in fact, Geography teaches you to write a un-biased essay in much more detail, in a much better way as it is a substantial part of the course.If I did take Advanced Higher Geography I would be wanting to write my essay on the effect of fast fashion on the environment (related to my career interests).I want honest opinions on whether I should risk it with AH geography or play it safe with English.My subject choices are due in on Monday (20th March 2023)Thanks
Original post by Gothicana
Hello,I am currently in the process of choosing my subjects for my last year of secondary school and I am torn between taking Higher English (a subject I don't particularly enjoy) and Advanced Higher Geography (one of my favourite and best subjects).I have checked the entry requirements for getting into the School for Fashion and Textiles university in Galashiels for the Fashion Technology Course and it says that I need AAAB (including English)I was wondering whether they would accept Advanced Higher Geography instead as I already have a National 5 in English and both Geography and English are essay-based subjects. And, in fact, Geography teaches you to write a un-biased essay in much more detail, in a much better way as it is a substantial part of the course.If I did take Advanced Higher Geography I would be wanting to write my essay on the effect of fast fashion on the environment (related to my career interests).I want honest opinions on whether I should risk it with AH geography or play it safe with English.My subject choices are due in on Monday (20th March 2023)Thanks

Hi!

Honestly, if they say they want English they probably do.

I'd suggest emailing the university and asking them if they will take geography instead (this would also be a good chance to ask for any tips on applying) but I would be surprised if they said anything else but that English is required. So then it's up to you to decide if you want to brave English in hopes of getting on this course or take Geography and look for other fashion courses that maybe don't require English. It's always a tough choice choosing your A-levels but don't worry too much. Trust your gut and it will all work out!

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! :smile:

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest