The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madl24903
Congrats! :biggrin: Did you find out by UCAS or email?

I submitted my application on Tuesday so big turn around. I have my English on Tuesday and Maths in two weeks!

I found out by email from them
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Oh right :frown: for what subject though? I guess different subjects may have their own way of doing things. What have you applied for?

I think it's P.E he has the interview for. I've applied for Secondary History, but not concerned at all, yet haha. You?
Original post by Andrew240
I think it's P.E he has the interview for. I've applied for Secondary History, but not concerned at all, yet haha. You?

I've applied for R.E. I'm not so much concerned, just impatient! I'll be getting concerned towards the last week of the 40 days they have to let us know :tongue:

Good luck with your application!
Original post by blondie23456
I submitted my application on Tuesday so big turn around. I have my English on Tuesday and Maths in two weeks!

I found out by email from them

What's the minimum notice they would give you for an interview do you think?
Have they asked you to prepare a presentation?
You picked a topic already?
i got an interview with them last year but had to pull out
Original post by Brooksy1704
When did you submit the application?
have you already sat the skills tests?

not long to prepare presentation etc!!
x
ps Wednesday is the 4th!

Oh thanks yeah I mean the 4th! all happened to quickly. skills tests are for next week and the week after x
Original post by Fen2k
I am waiting on my second reference to complete. This process is really unfair. It puts pressure on the applicant and on the referee. Surely UCAS could open the process 2 weeks before the application date, giving everyone the chance to have a fully completed application when the 21st came around. I know it's only been a week but with a number people getting interviews its really worrying me my application will be too late. My referee has a life and job, and some time around that they've got to do me a favour and write a reference, meanwhile I'm bricking it because its taken them a week. Seriously a week is no time at all, especially when they have million othrr things to do. Argh!

I can't help but agree with you. I was lucky my secondary reference was my boss and line manager, but even then due to him being on annual leave I was having to make absolutely sure he could do it before he went on holiday. My primary reference was the teacher who oversaw my experience and had no real leverage with...Added to this I messed up my first application and had to do a new one, so then had to try and explain that whole process to them. I can't help but think they could redesign the process around references - I mean, I am not saying they aren't valuable, but surely your personal statement/experience/interview is what matters, not a letter from someone who is very, very unlikely to say anything negative about you. It is backwards compared to how a job application goes surely?
Original post by Brooksy1704
What's the minimum notice they would give you for an interview do you think?
Have they asked you to prepare a presentation?
You picked a topic already?
i got an interview with them last year but had to pull out

I have no idea, but I think its v short notice. The presentation is on educational issues for teachers .. any ideas to stand out?

Oh where have you applied this yr?
Original post by blondie23456
I have no idea, but I think its v short notice. The presentation is on educational issues for teachers .. any ideas to stand out?

Oh where have you applied this yr?

I've applied for man met too :smile:
only sent mine yesterday tho!

worried about the short notice! Might have to start working on the presentation!
i can't remember mine from last year think it's upstairs somewhere but have moved house since then!
will let you know if I find it!
ive got my maths test next Wednesday!
Unis don't seem to be using track - seems to be all through post/e-mail at the minute. I'm more obsessed with checking those!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25104936

Article on the filling of school direct places/universities having their allocations cut. Thought some people here might find it interesting!
Reply 2150
hey,

i submitted my application this week (after waiting for what felt like ages for my references to respond) but I have just realised I made an error in the exam board section. I did a national diploma on top of an english a level, and I put the wrong exam board for the diploma. I also guessed most of the exam boards for my GCSE's because all my certificates were lost when I moved house a few years ago, and I didn't want to wait until I was able to get new ones before applying as that would have been leaving it late.
I've emailed the course providers to mention that I made a mistake on my diploma exam board.
Do you think this will be much of a problem? Or if I guessed some of the exam boards for my GCSEs wrong, do you think it will matter? Just stressing out a bit!
Thanks
Original post by alabelle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25104936

Article on the filling of school direct places/universities having their allocations cut. Thought some people here might find it interesting!

Thanks for this. It is interesting. Anyone know why they are so focused on shifting towards school direct?
Original post by crm
hey,

i submitted my application this week (after waiting for what felt like ages for my references to respond) but I have just realised I made an error in the exam board section. I did a national diploma on top of an english a level, and I put the wrong exam board for the diploma. I also guessed most of the exam boards for my GCSE's because all my certificates were lost when I moved house a few years ago, and I didn't want to wait until I was able to get new ones before applying as that would have been leaving it late.
I've emailed the course providers to mention that I made a mistake on my diploma exam board.
Do you think this will be much of a problem? Or if I guessed some of the exam boards for my GCSEs wrong, do you think it will matter? Just stressing out a bit!
Thanks

id try and get in touch with your school to find out the exam board was I think it could be a problem as they will check your results and don't think it will sit well with the uni.
Try and find the correct boards and be honest with the uni I say x
Thanks for this. It is interesting. Anyone know why they are so focused on shifting towards school direct?

It's their new preference for teacher training, they wanted the brightest graduates trained on the job. As for why, I'm not sure. Guess it's just how they think they'll get the best teachers.
Reply 2154
Has anyone applied to Edge Hill, Cumbria or Sheffield Hallam? Have you got even an acknowledgement?

I've applied to Edge Hill. No response / acknowledgement so far. Put mine in on 25th Nov.
Original post by alabelle
It's their new preference for teacher training, they wanted the brightest graduates trained on the job. As for why, I'm not sure. Guess it's just how they think they'll get the best teachers.

Yeah, seems that way. There's hardly any spaces on school direct for my subject compared to PGCE (2 compared to 20) so a shift that way would be bad for my subject...
Original post by JMR26
I've applied to Edge Hill. No response / acknowledgement so far. Put mine in on 25th Nov.

Cool, not just me then!
Reply 2156
Interview at MMU for Seconday Maths on 11th Dec - hooray! Feeling nervous now!
Oh my, clearly when I was trying to complete the application form quickly I became a bit dense.

I've answered 'Fee Payer' with 'Private finance' ... which is not true! I think I must have thought fee payer for the form (as I say, dense moment)

Will this be an issue?
Reply 2158
Original post by JMR26
Interview at MMU for Seconday Maths on 11th Dec - hooray! Feeling nervous now!

Woooo good luck!
Yeah, seems that way. There's hardly any spaces on school direct for my subject compared to PGCE (2 compared to 20) so a shift that way would be bad for my subject...

Cool, not just me then!

I think the idea is that they're creating more school direct places over time. But like the article said, schools are struggling to fill them and the universities are picking up the pieces...

I know my university (Hull) have had their PGCE allocations halved this year in order to make way for school direct. Not great news, but there's still way more PGCE places out there than SD.

Latest

Trending

Trending