The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
I just pressed the REFERENCE REQUEST BUTTON!!
I can't change my application now! :frown: The wait begins!

Fingers crossed for you, the wait will hopefully be worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woah! What you applied for? Getting a bit scared now. :frown:

Manchter met and Worcester for Psychology and IoE for Social Sciences.

Don't be worried, even the assesors seemed to dislike the new UCAS system. Just a waiting game, they only offer my courses in 3 or 4 institutes and i'm not sure of the competition for places, so it may be that they're getting applicants in ASAP
Original post by LaurieLee
Fingers crossed for you, the wait will hopefully be worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, Laurie! :smile: What have you applied for? :smile:
Original post by pthomas112
Manchter met and Worcester for Psychology and IoE for Social Sciences.

Don't be worried, even the assesors seemed to dislike the new UCAS system. Just a waiting game, they only offer my courses in 3 or 4 institutes and i'm not sure of the competition for places, so it may be that they're getting applicants in ASAP

All the best! :smile:
Oh God!!!
Application is over. Pressing a button will send a reference request to my refeeres and will make me unable to make further changes to my application. This is it.

Good Luck! :smile:
Which ones?

Congrats, Airyfairy!

Edge Hill and Sheffield Hallam :smile:
Ah got my final reference, so application is now sent. Now just for the wait! NERVOUS.

Good luck to all those with interviews this week :biggrin:
Reply 2547
Original post by tory88
A word of warning to some of you waiting on references - all of the examples posted on here come across as whiney and self-important. I appreciate it is very stressful (I felt terrible waiting for mine) but make sure to put yourself across professionally. A quick e-mail saying you just wanted to check if you'd received the request as some people have been seeing it go straight into junk is fine, as if one follow-up mentioning that the course can close on thursday. But if I was being constantly badgered, I really wouldn't want to write any sort of reference for you, especially a nice one.

A good point to make for sure. I do trust that everyone here knows where to be professional and where they can let that guard down, i.e, on TSR. My relationship with my reference is very casual and informal - in another community we'd be going for a drink together, for example - and although I'm relying slightly on this and allowing a little bit more of a cheeky plea in my communication, it still remains appropriate and she knows I am a professional person. I know she understands the situation fully and has likely been in it before from both my current position and hers, and wouldn't judge a mildly frantic tone even if it did arrive. It's so understandable to be fretting because your future is both under deadline and in the hands of someone else, and that someone else is being ignorant and self-important themselves if they didn't allow you a couple of cracks in your demeanor. Those cracks are meaningless, the job just has to be done, that's all that matters. I do appreciate it's slightly different with a more formal ref-applicant relationship.

Congrats those who are posting with good news. :biggrin:
As always, if anyone has any Nottingham news please let us nervous Notts applicants know...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2548
Has anyone applied for the PGDE at Dundee?
Yes! Got an interview at MMU for Social Science, happy bunny :smile:
Reply 2550
Original post by arhall92
Has anyone else got Primary interviews for Gloucestershire or Chichester next week? Very nervous! Also has anyone heard anything from Bath Spa? Haven't heard anything from them

I've applied for Bath Spa as well, for early years. I haven't heard anything from any of mine, not even an email acknowledgement. It's not even been a week yet and I'm already a nervous wreck, especially as so many people are getting interviews. My other places are UWE and Somerset SCITT.
Reply 2551
Original post by alabelle
I wouldn't say anyone here has been unprofessional in their actual emails to referees. I've seen plenty of people whining on here (including me!) but it's fine to complain here because it's not like our references will see.

I have my first skills test booked for Friday, and I'm hoping my application will be in then. :smile:

You don't have to have your references in to sit the skills tests. As long as you have actually submitted your part of the application you are fine. Take a print out of the application form and of your UCAS id number. I did mine on Friday and they didn't ask for any proof at all which was weird. It wasn't until I left that I realised. I was so stressed at the time to remember what they were meant to be doing.
Reply 2552
Original post by Captainconehead
Still waiting on my 2nd reference which is very stressful.

Does anyone know if the 2 week rule for closing courses actually includes the Thursday as a full day or is Wednesday the last day to have references submitted??

I'm applying for history at edge hill, liverpool and Manchester and I'm in a panic that they will all close on Thursday.

Edge Hill is my 1st choice as it is round the corner from me so really keen to get it in before they potentially close and fill up all the places!

I have also applied for secondary history. Not at any of the unis you have though. I'm not sure if it is Wednesday or Thursday and two weeks is only a minimum the unis keep their applications open for... I do however know that some people have already got interviews schedules for History at Edge Hill.

Best of luck with the application! :biggrin:
Reply 2553
Original post by Andrew240
Yippeeee, got an interview in early January for Secondary History at Edge Hill :smile:!

Why are people so worried about skill tests before application/slightly after? I haven't even booked mine yet, should I get them done before my interview?

Andy

Congratulations!!!
I haven't done the skills test yet, I was going to book them if I got an interview. I know some unis prefer you to have them before interviews - but it depends on the uni.

There are practice ones online which are useful...
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't got a referee to send a reference off yet! I reminded him on Monday and he said he'll try to do it sometime this week, so hopefully it'll done soon. Does anybody have any advice on what to do if he doesn't do it?

Well done to everybody who has interviews already! Good luck!
Reply 2555
I don't know if I should bother emailing the Headteacher for my reference. He only accepted the request last Thursday. The last time I emailed him was a week before that, to check if he had received the reference request which he didn't reply to. Then last Thursday I sent him another ucas email notification.. Partly by accident and he accepted that.
I kinda think I should leave it and just let him do it whenever he wants. But then I do think I should email him just to let him know that he needs to hurry up a bit (in a professional way) because all I am waiting for is him to do my reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
I don't know if I should bother emailing the Headteacher for my reference. He only accepted the request last Thursday. The last time I emailed him was a week before that, to check if he had received the reference request which he didn't reply to. Then last Thursday I sent him another ucas email notification.. Partly by accident and he accepted that.
I kinda think I should leave it and just let him do it whenever he wants. But then I do think I should email him just to let him know that he needs to hurry up a bit (in a professional way) because all I am waiting for is him to do my reference.

I emailed the head teacher I've been volunteering with and just said that I realise that this is a very busy time of year and he's got a lot to do, but UCAS allows applications to close on the 5th December and the universities I'm applying to have already starting offering interviews to candidates, so I'd really appreciate it if she could do it as soon as possible. I also added if she couldn't do it, could she let me know so that I had time to organise another one.
Reply 2557
Original post by etiquette
I emailed the head teacher I've been volunteering with and just said that I realise that this is a very busy time of year and he's got a lot to do, but UCAS allows applications to close on the 5th December and the universities I'm applying to have already starting offering interviews to candidates, so I'd really appreciate it if she could do it as soon as possible. I also added if she couldn't do it, could she let me know so that I had time to organise another one.

Did she reply to you? This puts us in such a difficult position because I know the Headteacher is busy and this is not his priority so I don't want to nag him and be annoying etc but then if I leave it, he might forget or take even longer and it's a risk for me then .. So annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2558
Original post by Fabay
Did she reply to you? This puts us in such a difficult position because I know the Headteacher is busy and this is not his priority so I don't want to nag him and be annoying etc but then if I leave it, he might forget or take even longer and it's a risk for me then .. So annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a tough one. Like people have said they are doing you favours and they are very very very busy!

But at the same time if people asked for a reference a while ago they are not being rushed now. As a teacher I personally would write a reference ASAP if someone asked and save it somewhere, as I wouldn't want to have to hold them up later on and I'd also find it easier to remember stuff sooner rather than later! But maybe that's just because I've only just graduated so know the system now a bit better. Plus I know the urgency of this year due to extra applications if it's for PGCE.

On the other hand if I had only found out recently so not pre-written it it might not be possible to do it quickly, due to the sudden and nature driven deadline of things you have to do in teaching, let alone if you're a head!

xxx
Original post by chumpyjumpy
Yes! Got an interview at MMU for Social Science, happy bunny :smile:

well done! me too, is yours on the 11th? seems like a really relaxed interview!

Latest

Trending

Trending