The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magic_box
Just found out I've got an offer from St Mary's! :smile: Exciting!

I'm really happy as I loved it on the interview day - however the condition is to have passed my Skills Tests by the 28th Feb! I've already passed Literacy but some serious maths revision to commence over the Christmas holidays I think! (booked for 18th Jan)

Aww congrats :smile: Good luck for the numeracy, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Just had interview at Sunderland uni for Design tech and it wasn't half as bad as I thought! She was very positive and even said I was a pleasure to be around AND that I'd make a great teacher...but I'm not banking on anything, hopefully I find out tomorrow. Got another interview on Monday. I'm a lot more relaxed about the next even though I have to do a presentation. Finger crossed I get accepted, then I have to book my key skills for Feb
The tutor said to me do not sit the maths skills test unless you can pass the test papers several times over, she accepted 30 students onto the course last year and only 19 passed the maths key skills :-(
Original post by Lucy_jucie
The tutor said to me do not sit the maths skills test unless you can pass the test papers several times over, she accepted 30 students onto the course last year and only 19 passed the maths key skills :-(

Lucy have you signed up for Numeracy Ready? I definitely wouldn't have passed my skills test if it wasn't for that website!
Reply 3484
I'm a weirdo...

And I am wondering if anyone else is one too. :biggrin:

Is anyone hoping to NOT hear back from unis too soon after interview? I have two interviews next week - one on Wednesday and one on Thursday, so if they both let me know quite soon afterwards then making a decision won't be too difficult (if I am offered a place at both - wishful thinking... and it would still be better if I'd had an interview at all three of my choices).

Originally I only had one interview next week and I was dreading getting a decision before I had been to my other choices as I think we only get 10 days or 14 days or something to respond to any decisions? Something like that? I was nervous that I might have one interview, get a quick decision and then not have time to go to my other choices for interviews before I had to let the first provider know!

Now I have two interviews within two days, I am not as worried about it.

But I hated the idea of having to accept or reject a choice without having any idea whether I was going to get an interview - let alone an offer - from my other choices. I just imagined me saying "YES!" to the first place that (hopefully) gave me an offer, then getting other offers later and thinking "woops" - or the other scenario, rejecting an offer hoping the other two will pull it out of the bag only to not even get an interview/get rejected.

So on that basis...... I'd actually prefer to get the opportunity to hopefully have three interviews and then see who offers me what, if anything, and then be able to make a choice out of all my offers (assuming I get any).

Maybe it is me being weird but I don't have a preference as of yet to any provider in particular. I don't have a hierarchy in my head like this is the one I want to go to, this is second best, this is third best etc. I've not thought about it, I just applied and put all my effort in to that. So I really want the chance to visit all my choices and then be able to make an informed decision should I receive offers... rather than get a quick ass decision and have to rush in to making a decision that I might possibly regret :colondollar:

So providers, if you're reading - don't assume all of us want super quick decisions... some of us actually don't have a frigging clue where we want to go because we spent so much time on our personal statement/application... and we'd appreciate having the chance to check as many choices of ours out as possible. Thank you in advance :colone:

This is all of course very presumptuous/positive thinking. It could be that we receive no offers/don't get interviews etc. and so the decision will never come down to us. Just that, if it does come down to us, it'd be nice to be able to compare our choices and make an informed decision. Rather than desperately replying YES TAKE ME to the first one that possibly gives us something.

As long as I hear back by the end of January/start of February (near the beginning of Feb is when my 40 days are up) then that's fine by me.
Original post by bellylaugh
Lucy have you signed up for Numeracy Ready? I definitely wouldn't have passed my skills test if it wasn't for that website!

No I haven't but I will now lol
Reply 3486
Original post by Deja Vu
I'm a weirdo...

And I am wondering if anyone else is one too. :biggrin:

Is anyone hoping to NOT hear back from unis too soon after interview? I have two interviews next week - one on Wednesday and one on Thursday, so if they both let me know quite soon afterwards then making a decision won't be too difficult (if I am offered a place at both - wishful thinking... and it would still be better if I'd had an interview at all three of my choices).

Originally I only had one interview next week and I was dreading getting a decision before I had been to my other choices as I think we only get 10 days or 14 days or something to respond to any decisions? Something like that? I was nervous that I might have one interview, get a quick decision and then not have time to go to my other choices for interviews before I had to let the first provider know!

Now I have two interviews within two days, I am not as worried about it.

But I hated the idea of having to accept or reject a choice without having any idea whether I was going to get an interview - let alone an offer - from my other choices. I just imagined me saying "YES!" to the first place that (hopefully) gave me an offer, then getting other offers later and thinking "woops" - or the other scenario, rejecting an offer hoping the other two will pull it out of the bag only to not even get an interview/get rejected.

So on that basis...... I'd actually prefer to get the opportunity to hopefully have three interviews and then see who offers me what, if anything, and then be able to make a choice out of all my offers (assuming I get any).

Maybe it is me being weird but I don't have a preference as of yet to any provider in particular. I don't have a hierarchy in my head like this is the one I want to go to, this is second best, this is third best etc. I've not thought about it, I just applied and put all my effort in to that. So I really want the chance to visit all my choices and then be able to make an informed decision should I receive offers... rather than get a quick ass decision and have to rush in to making a decision that I might possibly regret :colondollar:

So providers, if you're reading - don't assume all of us want super quick decisions... some of us actually don't have a frigging clue where we want to go because we spent so much time on our personal statement/application... and we'd appreciate having the chance to check as many choices of ours out as possible. Thank you in advance :colone:

This is all of course very presumptuous/positive thinking. It could be that we receive no offers/don't get interviews etc. and so the decision will never come down to us. Just that, if it does come down to us, it'd be nice to be able to compare our choices and make an informed decision. Rather than desperately replying YES TAKE ME to the first one that possibly gives us something.

As long as I hear back by the end of January/start of February (near the beginning of Feb is when my 40 days are up) then that's fine by me.

I'm pretty sure that you only have to decide which place you want when you have heard back from all three! So don't worry :smile: And also about not knowing which one to choose I'm kind of going by the feel of the place and the area and where the placements are likely to be. All of mine had a little presentation thingy about the course as well so that might help you choose! :smile: Hope some of this helps in some way haha x
Reply 3487
Original post by Callie_
I'm pretty sure that you only have to decide which place you want when you have heard back from all three! So don't worry :smile: And also about not knowing which one to choose I'm kind of going by the feel of the place and the area and where the placements are likely to be. All of mine had a little presentation thingy about the course as well so that might help you choose! :smile: Hope some of this helps in some way haha x

I've been told that is is within 10/14/*whatever the number of days is* of that individual offer being made - so if you get an offer from choice A on the 5th January, you have to reply to that individual offer within 10/14/*whatever the number of days is* of 5th January.

This was what my careers department at uni said. I will try and find some info! Hopefully you're right.... that would be better :biggrin: I'd be happy with that! :biggrin:

Yep both of my interviews so far say there is an intro to the course at the start. I am hoping this well help make the differences clear between courses/providers.

I'm also going armed with 80761 questions. I know it's an interview and they're asking me questions, but I also have about 3 hours worth of questions to ask them at the end :biggrin:

"Any questions?"

"Let me get my list...." :redface:
Reply 3488
Original post by Callie_

YOU'RE RIGHT! I checked and you're right! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

In Apply 1, the 10 working days starts when you’ve had a decision from all your choices.

The date when your ten working days is up will appear on Track.

You can only accept one offer. If you’ve got more than one, you’ll have to decline the others.
But if you don’t want to accept any of the offers, you can decline them all.

Source: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/what-happens-next

So my uni careers department were wrong... again. Bless them.

This is so much better. Now I know this, I hope to hear back with decisions really quickly :biggrin: :wink: :smile: :cool:
Reply 3489

I'm really happy as I loved it on the interview day - however the condition is to have passed my Skills Tests by the 28th Feb! I've already passed Literacy but some serious maths revision to commence over the Christmas holidays I think! (booked for 18th Jan)

Hey congratulations!!! That is brilliant very happy for you! SUper quick response… did they tell you they would get back to you so quickly? I had mine yesterday and I fell in love with the place… but they said could take up to two weeks to hear from them!! Good luck with skills test :smile:
Reply 3490
Original post by Deja Vu
I've been told that is is within 10/14/*whatever the number of days is* of that individual offer being made - so if you get an offer from choice A on the 5th January, you have to reply to that individual offer within 10/14/*whatever the number of days is* of 5th January.

This was what my careers department at uni said. I will try and find some info! Hopefully you're right.... that would be better :biggrin: I'd be happy with that! :biggrin:

Yep both of my interviews so far say there is an intro to the course at the start. I am hoping this well help make the differences clear between courses/providers.

I'm also going armed with 80761 questions. I know it's an interview and they're asking me questions, but I also have about 3 hours worth of questions to ask them at the end :biggrin:

"Any questions?"

"Let me get my list...." :redface:
Oh right! That's gonna make me panic if that is true D: I was sure it said differently on the UCAS website but I'll have to check back through it all to make sure. Hopefully we can find out the right answer haha. Ah well good luck with everything, it definitely sounds like you are prepared! And it'll be good because you'll be showing your interest too :biggrin:
Reply 3491
Original post by Deja Vu
YOU'RE RIGHT! I checked and you're right! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Source: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/what-happens-next

So my uni careers department were wrong... again. Bless them.

This is so much better. Now I know this, I hope to hear back with decisions really quickly :biggrin: :wink: :smile: :cool:

I just realised you had replied again! haha. yayy that's really good! silly department!
Reply 3492
Original post by Lucy_jucie
I've got an interview tomorrow for Secondary Design and Tech and my brain is over loaded with information. I don't know how much more I can cram. I have to do a 30 min written essay, I just wish I knew what they will ask. I have been told that Sunderland Uni interviews arnt that full on and are quite laid back so hoping I can relax and the info will flow. I think what I have to remember is I'm not a qualified teacher, I will be paying them £8,500 to train me to become a teacher, so they will not expect me to know everything in detail. But still so nervous lol

Definitely, they won't want a fully formed teacher as otherwise they can't put their stamp on you! And you might not be as receptive to constructive criticism.

Original post by Airfairy
I'm guessing some of these questions don't have a right or wrong answer, and as long as you've done some reading you could then use your opinions based on what you've read?

They don't like to see too strong an opinion. Obviously we all have them, but an interview is not the best place to go rambling on about hating Michael Gove, especially as someone new coming in to the profession. So yeah, pretty much, it doesn't matter what the answer is, but it would be nice to show you have considered both sides of the argument.

Original post by sandyN91
Where can we find educational issues/changes informations? Any recommended websites?

Original post by Airfairy
I was just about to post about this. I'm finding it the hardest bit to prepare for! It's all well preparing my presentation and reading about my subject and thinking of questions I might be asked, but it's hard to read up on educational issues when there are so many. Plus my interview is next Tuesday and I've only just started preparing. I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and read the TES because I think that's the best place, but I've just been reading news articles online about random things :dontknow: A website I was reading summed the issues up as :
National curriculum
GCSE/A-Level reform - examinations and assessment
Free school and academies
SEN

Although that is for secondary.

I mainly just used BBC Education. It's more about being passionate enough to be interested in issues, rather than being able to remember lots of facts about what's happening.

xxx
My uni tutor has not sent the reference yet. :frown: I sent the request on the 2nd. My second reference was sent on the 4th. And since then I have been waiting for my uni tutor. I checked with him a couple of days ago to check he received the ucas notification and he said yes. I am growing impatient and feel like I should send an email to him on Monday 16th or tomorrow just to remind him that I need him to do it asap. It is his responsibility to do references, right?

Everybody is getting interviews. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Grant23
Just got feedback there from UCAS (nerve racking stuff when that email appears with a notification alert!)

University of Glasgow have given me an interview for the 10th January 2014 - so happy! :biggrin:

I have an interview at Glasgow on the 10th too! Exciting :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not sure about anyone else, but my track now says the date on which I should have an answer from my choices - which is the 30th January
Reply 3496

Congrats :smile: I have an interview there next Tues. I'm just wondering how the day went. Was it quite relaxed? Did you find the English and maths tests easy? I just want to be prepared. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3497
Original post by Jo_Marie
Oh yeah, sorry don't mean to panic, I just refer to it as pack for the nine or so pages it has!! Lol that and the lady on phone referred to it as the pack. It was just everything that was under the main body of email. Don't worry I've not got anything you haven't!!

Dont forget your photos, i nearly forgot to pack them!

Hi, just wondering how your interview went? :smile:
Had my PGCE interview yesterday. Didn't go that great.

Better get to work on prep for the second interview soo
[MOD EDIT: discussion of specific interview tasks and questions is against TSR rules and will result in a warning.]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rso101
When is your interview? I've got mine for early years on 16th January. I've also got one at Bath Spa on the 18th December and haven't heard back from Somerset SCITT yet. How about you?

Mines on the 16th too, but I applied for 5-11 rather than early years. I haven't heard anything from Bath Spa (5-11) yet and had an acknoloedgement from Wiltshire SCITT. I'm sure you'll hear back from Somerset soon x

Latest

Trending

Trending