The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4440
Original post by Fabay
I've got one at Leeds tmra. For the presentation, do we like go through our folder? Like should I prepare how to present it or just literally show them what I've done and discuss it? I need to practice some maths and some potential questions they might ask. SO NERVOUS esp cos leeds is my first choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck tomorrow! I'm so nervous - of all my interviews Leeds is by far the most demanding and difficult. The list of things we have to bring and prepare is ridiculous.. but guess it has to be done :smile: I assume we guide them through the tasks and plan we have made, maybe giving reasons why. I'm worried because mine is really quite similar to the example plan they have given i.e. my extra tasks are geography and art so I'm thinking of maybe adding another subject too so it doesn't look like i've just copied the sample. How many extra plans have you done?
Maths is the test I'm most worried about. I did a few practice tests for the skills test and they went so badly that I've had to postpone it until the 21st Jan. So i'm spending today revising decimals, long multiplication and fractions in case the test is really difficult. How are you preparing?
Reply 4441
Original post by nimgreen
Good luck tomorrow! I'm so nervous - of all my interviews Leeds is by far the most demanding and difficult. The list of things we have to bring and prepare is ridiculous.. but guess it has to be done :smile: I assume we guide them through the tasks and plan we have made, maybe giving reasons why. I'm worried because mine is really quite similar to the example plan they have given i.e. my extra tasks are geography and art so I'm thinking of maybe adding another subject too so it doesn't look like i've just copied the sample. How many extra plans have you done?
Maths is the test I'm most worried about. I did a few practice tests for the skills test and they went so badly that I've had to postpone it until the 21st Jan. So i'm spending today revising decimals, long multiplication and fractions in case the test is really difficult. How are you preparing?

I know I've got other interviews after Leeds and they already seem easier! I used the sample plan, but for like my extra subjects I've only put in the table the links to the curriculum, the task and the resources.. Do we have to make it the same as English and say what the learning intentions are? (I don't know what they would be for art and music cos the curriculum for them is quite vague) I've linked mine to art, music and geography.. My geography idea is kinda of similar to theirs because I've focused on the same link to the curriculum (human and physical features).
I don't think it will matter because you are using a different book. But, if you have the time and want to link it to another subject then I guess it would look better cos it will show how you can link it to various subjects etc.. But then I do think you will be fine with two subjects..have you just included the plan or put other things in like examples?

Me too, I'm terrified for maths. Same, I've postponed my maths test to end of jan but I've done literacy. It's hard for me cos I have a 5,000 word essay due on Friday morning and I've got like 1000 words left to write (so stupid for leaving it late) so I'm going get that written then do some maths revision.. And might look at preparing answers for PGCE questions. I'm really nervous about reading the book to them as if they are children, it's going to feel so strange lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there anyone else out there going for the University of Manchester interview on Friday, so far, it feels like I am the only one?
Reply 4443
Original post by Fabay
I know I've got other interviews after Leeds and they already seem easier! I used the sample plan, but for like my extra subjects I've only put in the table the links to the curriculum, the task and the resources.. Do we have to make it the same as English and say what the learning intentions are? (I don't know what they would be for art and music cos the curriculum for them is quite vague) I've linked mine to art, music and geography.. My geography idea is kinda of similar to theirs because I've focused on the same link to the curriculum (human and physical features).
I don't think it will matter because you are using a different book. But, if you have the time and want to link it to another subject then I guess it would look better cos it will show how you can link it to various subjects etc.. But then I do think you will be fine with two subjects..have you just included the plan or put other things in like examples?

Me too, I'm terrified for maths. Same, I've postponed my maths test to end of jan but I've done literacy. It's hard for me cos I have a 5,000 word essay due on Friday morning and I've got like 1000 words left to write (so stupid for leaving it late) so I'm going get that written then do some maths revision.. And might look at preparing answers for PGCE questions. I'm really nervous about reading the book to them as if they are children, it's going to feel so strange lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I thought that - it's gonna seem really weird reading to them as if they were a child. I have an interview next week where I have to actually read to a group of 15 y1/2 children and I genuinely think I prefer that! (I hope they're well behaved though - as I'm not overly confident with disciplining them while I'm being observed for the first time!)

I think I will add an extra subject to my plan just to show I have thought of other subjects other than the ones they gave examples for. I've literally just written the plan like the examples, filled it out with a bit more info and curriculum links and then made a couple of resources to go alongside! Just to fill out the A4 display folder more than anything and hope it looks impressive.

I think I'm gonna buy an online package today like numeracy ready and do 2 or 3 hours worth.
Reply 4444
Original post by nimgreen
Yeh I thought that - it's gonna seem really weird reading to them as if they were a child. I have an interview next week where I have to actually read to a group of 15 y1/2 children and I genuinely think I prefer that! (I hope they're well behaved though - as I'm not overly confident with disciplining them while I'm being observed for the first time!)

I think I will add an extra subject to my plan just to show I have thought of other subjects other than the ones they gave examples for. I've literally just written the plan like the examples, filled it out with a bit more info and curriculum links and then made a couple of resources to go alongside! Just to fill out the A4 display folder more than anything and hope it looks impressive.

I think I'm gonna buy an online package today like numeracy ready and do 2 or 3 hours worth.

Yeah, that would be much better cos then at least you can involve them into the story etc.
ok, I've done pretty much the same then. Good luck for tomorrow and for the rest of your interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an interview for Nottingham Trent next week! Only Leicester to hear from now...
I am anxiously awaiting Derby's response post-interview. I hope it comes soon as I just want to know either way (preferably positive lol)!!
Reply 4446
Anyone had an interview at Oxford and know how long it lasts? I'm trying to book trains etc.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4447
Original post by Fabay
Yeah, that would be much better cos then at least you can involve them into the story etc.
ok, I've done pretty much the same then. Good luck for tomorrow and for the rest of your interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you too! See you tomorrow :smile:
Reply 4448
Hi there,I have an interview for Bradford college PGCE (General) Primary in 2weeks-got my update on track today.So i'm yet to receive a letter through the post for details.I don't suppose u could give me a head start on what the structure was like for the day,time scale,did you have to do a maths,written test etc.Thank you.
Original post by JungleeBilli
I have been rejected from 2 out of my 3 choices for Primary PGCE. Although, my application clearly states that I have the relevant experience of 3 years and running for volunteering in a Primary school. My enthusiasm and passion for the love of teaching is in me and concisely expressed on my personal statement too. However, this doesn't seem to be enough for institutions.

My self-esteem and self-belief that I can become a teacher has dropped six-feet under and now I don't know whether I should continue to pursue a career that is filling my life with rejections.

Is this a sign from somewhere that is saying stop trying to pursue teaching as a career? Although, without a doubt I know I will be able to make learning and education so much fun for young people.

My persistence is running out and I don't know how much defeat I can handle anymore.

Can somebody provide some guidance?

Hello! Don't feel like that. I know exactly how you feel I was rejected by 2 of mine 2 days after interview and I was gutted. I was dreading going to my final one because I thought I wouldn't get it. Never the less I went - learnt from my other two interviews and put everything and more into getting on. I found out the next day I had got on it and I just completed my skills tests yesterday.

Don't give up!!! You can do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JungleeBilli
I have been rejected from 2 out of my 3 choices for Primary PGCE. Although, my application clearly states that I have the relevant experience of 3 years and running for volunteering in a Primary school. My enthusiasm and passion for the love of teaching is in me and concisely expressed on my personal statement too. However, this doesn't seem to be enough for institutions.

My self-esteem and self-belief that I can become a teacher has dropped six-feet under and now I don't know whether I should continue to pursue a career that is filling my life with rejections.

Is this a sign from somewhere that is saying stop trying to pursue teaching as a career? Although, without a doubt I know I will be able to make learning and education so much fun for young people.

My persistence is running out and I don't know how much defeat I can handle anymore.

Can somebody provide some guidance?

Hi there,

I imagine it depends who you are applying to but for Primary PGCE I managed to secure 3 interviews from my application and only have 2 weeks experience volunteering so I don't think it's the length that counts so much but evidencing your reflective experiences.

I was advised to evidence specific examples in the sense of 'I did ............ with a child and I felt ............. but I found that by doing ..................the child was able to ..............which resulted in........... In future i would...............' I gave 2 examples with a passionate response and a general blurb about how I discovered I wanted to teach. I don't know if you are able to change your personal statement for Apply 2?

You may have already done this, or it might be that competition for your choices was just very fierce, but try not to be too downhearted. It doesn't sound like experience is your problme, possibly just a technicality in your Personal Statement.

Hope this helps a bit.

x
Reply 4451
What is the TA’s Numeracy Skills Test?

The test at my interview will be based on that and I have no idea what it is....
Original post by znh

The test at my interview will be based on that and I have no idea what it is....

I would assume it means the normal skills test in numeracy.

When you book your skills test you are given a TA number...

Not sure though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by znh

Teaching Association perhaps? I assume they mean these...http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/professional/b00211213/numeracy/practice-numeracy but I could be wrong!
Original post by Katiebarnes1991
Hi, i have been doing the practice literacy and numeracy tests online and i know that on the literacy it says pass or fail but on the maths it just brings up all the questions you got correct or incorrect. how do you know if you pass?

Hi, you need to get 18/28 to pass…that's just over 62% I believe, which is the pass mark :smile:
Reply 4455
I have an interview for a secondary English place and need some advice.
I've been told to prepare a 2 minute presentation on a resource - would it be best to go for a traditional resource such as worksheet or literacy mat? Or should I think of something which is a bit more 'out there'? I don't know whether it would be too risky to do that it whether playing safe is risky!
Original post by Esmeralda4
I have an interview for Nottingham Trent next week! Only Leicester to hear from now...
I am anxiously awaiting Derby's response post-interview. I hope it comes soon as I just want to know either way (preferably positive lol)!!

Hey…I've been offered a place for upper primary at Leicester :smile: how did you find the interview? Have you got a first choice? x
Just ordered a dress for my interviews. :biggrin: It might be silly but I'm really excited! Wish I didn't have to wait til February.
Found out that at the interview I have on Friday, they give you the questions for the individual interview half an hour before the actual thing, how handy!
Reply 4459
Original post by xxstace123xx
Got an interview this Friday and next Monday, I was just wondering what people wore (trivial issues haha)

I am applying for early years, I want to be comfortable and I have to do a task with year 2 children.

Do you think a just above knee length black dress with a blue print, thick tights, black flats, black blazer would be ok? Or should I stick to shirt and trousers, I just feel so uncomfy and awkward in trousers, I never wear them!

What you plan to wear sounds fine! I went to an interview in trousers, a smart top and a cardigan and was definitely in the minority - nearly all the other girls were wearing dresses!

Latest

Trending

Trending