The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2013

Scroll to see replies

for the last question, I got 4 values, but 3 of my values were the answers. Dont know where the random value came, any ideas on how much marks i'll be able to get?
Original post by kiraeil
What was the working for 5ii) the question on finding the perimeter? Thanks.

Use the cosine rule to find BD= 12.2

Use s=rθs=r \theta to find the arc BC = 16 x 0.8

Add DC to BC to BD
Original post by eggfriedrice
Thanks Mr M! Looks like I made two stupid mistakes :/

Q3) I put 64+960x +3000x ^2
Q 4) ii a =1/2 (didn't notice the ^- so didn't flip)

How many marks lost?

Drop 1 mark for Q3 and probably 1 mark for Q4.
Original post by milesw97
For question 9)ii) I inspected the cubic correctly to get a linear and a quadratic factor but somehow managed to get the + and - signs the wrong way round when I factorised by quadratic, getting (2x+3)(x-1). How many marks do you think this will cost me? Also, I then carried this error forwards into 9)iii) but used the correct method and got 2 of the 3 answers. Is there an allowance for error carried forwards or will I lose more marks here?

Drop 2 marks on 9 ii) and get full marks on 9 iii) probably.
Original post by CalBeans
I got the value for C as 24 and dont understand how it is -11 can you explain the answer in more detail please?

Well if you work out the coefficient of x you obtain:

8640+384c=44168640+384c=4416
Original post by kiraeil
Thanks- If I worked out the missing side and arc length correctly but made a silly mistake for the length of the last side how many marks would i get. Thanks

drop 1 or 2 if you are unlucky
Original post by 5foot
How many marks will I get for the area under the curve if I got the equation of the tangent wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

you need to provide more information
Reply 67
I put (x+0.5)(2x+2)(2x-3) for 9ii- this multiplies out the same, will i still get the marks? Thanks :smile:
Original post by kiraeil
How many marks do you think I would get if worked area of small triangle and equation of tangent correct- 2 marks?? Thanks

(Original post by kiraeil)
For the area under curve question would I get some marks for workings as i worked out equation of tangent and area of small triangle but got complete wrong answer?
thanks

3 marks
Original post by MR.Mlover
Mr M, i love you, take me back :colondollar:

I've moved on.
Reply 70
Original post by Mr M
Well if you work out the coefficient of x you obtain:

8640+384c=44168640+384c=4416

(3*3*960)+(64*6) = 4416 (just to clarify for you) (for MrMlover, not sure why it went to MrM)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ellie_Rosa
For question 8 i a and b I put y=1 and y=4 instead of coordinates - will I lose the marks?

Unfortunately yes.
Original post by NZK1W1
This went so well :biggrin: thanks for putting up your answers Mr. M, they were all the same as what i got! :biggrin:

You must be mega-brainy then.
Original post by geekD96
Heeeey for (4b) I never got this (i) (2 marks)
I got -6x^-4+k can u explain what I did rong

When you integrate you add one to the power, not subtract one.
Reply 74
For 6ii my working were completely correct it came out correct . I did the logs bit and got 17.2 because that was the actual answer. Would I lose marks for not rounding it down?
Thanks
Original post by mcavengers
For 7ii) I forgot to put the exact value so I put 1.23 (3sf) instead of 37/30. How many marks will I lose? :s

Drop 1 mark if you showed supporting working.
Original post by Namige
For 8 i) i said it crossed y axis at x= 0 therefore...

But i didn't state the coordinates specifically ie. In the format (x,y). Would i still get the mark ?

I don't think you will get any credit for that - sorry!
Reply 77
Original post by Mr M
Unfortunately yes.

Dear Mr M,

For the geometric sequence question where n was less than or equal to 17.193..., I acheived that result with working out (which I believe was sufficient) and then I put n is less than or equal to (_<) 17 as it must be a whole number. However, I did not write n = 17, I wrote n _< 17 (less than or equal to). This seems to be quite a precarious mark because would I lose a mark, as technically N can limit up to 17, and it can't go past, but then I know that you could argue N could be any integer value below 17. Do you think I would lose a mark, and if so, only 1?
Original post by Whyllee
I got 59-62 marks do you think this will be an A? Everyone is saying it was easy, could you hazard a guess at the grade boundaries? :smile:

and also for 9ii) I got wrote (2x-3)(x+1) without the previous answer but then I wrote so x= -1/2 +2/3 or -1 will I lose a mark for having not written (2x+1)(2X-3)(X+1) ???

I don't guess grade boundaries. Think you will lose one for failing to fully factorise f(x).
Original post by dakenSoren
For 4b ii) evaluated it as lim n -> infinity 12/n = 0 therefore it is
(0) - (-12/a) = 3 therefore a = 4, as I forgot the square sign on the a and left it as a = 4 how many marks would I lose for this?

Drop 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending