The Student Room Group

Help me pass GCSE Maths

I've been really lazy with it. I passed all my other GCSEs but couldn't quite get the C, even though I did after-school classes! The resit is in a month and I have barely done anything because I've been so unmotivated and I'm sick of Maths, I'm not even in school anymore.

How can I pass it apart from past papers? My main issue is not knowing what exactly to revise.
Reply 1
Original post by Freak Out
I've been really lazy with it. I passed all my other GCSEs but couldn't quite get the C, even though I did after-school classes! The resit is in a month and I have barely done anything because I've been so unmotivated and I'm sick of Maths, I'm not even in school anymore.

How can I pass it apart from past papers? My main issue is not knowing what exactly to revise.

You're in the same position as me, so :bump:
Reply 2
When I attempt past papers, I often have my notes/book next to me. When I do this, the questions that I'm unsure about are pointed out to me when I have to look at my notes to reconfirm or reevaluate.

Anyway, the majority of a Maths GCSE is centered around Geometry, basic algebra and trigonometry. There is also the occasional statistics where you may have to construct a frequency table or histogram. Algebra is the most important of them all.
Original post by Freak Out

Find the syllabus for the exam you are doing and pick up a revision guide for a couple of quid on amazon.

Are you doing foundation or higher?
Reply 4
I would go over my notes to refresh my mind, grab hold of the syllabus/checklist of what I'm supposed to know and be able to do and sign off the areas that I am confident at, can do with a bit more work and definitely need more work doing.

Following on, I would go back over your class notes giving the areas that need most improving the most attention.

Finally, it'd be time for my past papers. Try to do one paper at a time, use your notes to help you then mark your paper yourself to see what the mark scheme wants from you on different things.

When you feel a little bit confident, take your notes away and try to time yourself (you can be nice to yourself to begin with but obviously you're gonna have to speed up for the real exam).

Fortunately, as you do more and more papers, you may find that you are getting lost less often (and maybe enjoying doing the papers, especially the parts that you that you can do).

It's up to you to decide the number of times you want to repeat all the papers (I'd suggest at least twice if you wanna feel confident in the exam) but remember that not only do papers help improve your exam skills but they also help you see where you need to put your head down most.

Since you don't have much time, make the going over notes brief but not bit where you tick off the checklist/syllabus. The amount of practise you have will determine how long you spend answering the questions in the exam, how little/long you'll have to check over your answers and how many times you check your answers (I once checked my core 1(A level exam) paper 3x and each time I found something to correct and then I got full marks on it whereas with core 2 I didn't have much time to check my answers ( only checked answers once) so I realised that I had got somethings wrong as I got out. With core 3 I didn't even finish the paper so I had got quite a bit wrong and now I need to rock core 4 to get the grade I want which is gonna be hard).

The more time you put in now, the less you'll have to stress later on so don't be lazy and the exam worthwhile :smile: I can definitely relate because I consider myself the laziest person of all times :smile: and this is what I do to survive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest