The Student Room Group

OCR Human Geography - Managing Change in Human Environments Tues 21st May

Hello :smile:

I could find a thread for this exam tomorrow, so thought I'd make one!

How is everyone feeling for this?
For me, its a lot of case studies to learn :s-smilie:

Revision tips or predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There aren't many studies to learn I've learnt like 7

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Pri96
There aren't many studies to learn I've learnt like 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have like over 25 case studies :P
Reply 3
I have 30 case studies and I'm sure I've forgotten them all... having the most stressful day ever. :frown:
I hate the wording of the questions, I'm struggling SO much !! :frown:
Reply 5
You guys should check the examiner reports for recent exams. You only ever need studies for the essay and 9 markers so why you got like 25 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Past 25 Markers:

Jan 13 -> energy: problems created by exploitation, tourism: sustainability
Jun 12 -> energy: sustainability, tourism: sustainability
Jan 12 -> energy: opportunities for economic development, tourism: opportunities for economic development
June 11 -> energy: two energy mixes, tourism: importance of tourism in two countries

I'm predicting a sustainability 25 marker for energy and issues of tourism.
Reply 7
What would you say are social factors affecting land uses?
- My teacher says social and economic are really closely linked, but if a question specifically says social, would it be things like, crime of an area, facilities nearby, I would say wealth of the area, but that's crossing into economic..
Reply 8
Any predictions on the energy/tourism essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Why has everyone learnt so many case studies?
I've learnt
Nairobi, Kenya urban
Harehills and Seacroft Leeds urban
Sweden and Norway energy
India energy
St Kitts and Nevis tourism
Lake District tourism
Costa del sol and sitges Spain
Reply 10
Original post by 24hoursmiles
- My teacher says social and economic are really closely linked, but if a question specifically says social, would it be things like, crime of an area, facilities nearby, I would say wealth of the area, but that's crossing into economic..

Access to services are also social I think. Think of the IMD
Reply 11
Tourism:
growth of tourism v economic development= UK and china
Social, economic and environmental issues= Jamaica, Myanmar, Nepal
Sustainability= Ecuador

Energy:
Energy use v economic development= energy mix in UK and Mali
Social, economic, and environmental issues= three gorges dam, Niger delta
Sustainability= Germany and India

Urban change:
Social and economic issues= seacroft/Harehills and kibera
Environmental issues= Mexico, london and Mumbai
Sustainability= Curitiba and Milton Keynes

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by 24hoursmiles

Segregation - ethnic groups are usually segregated. The more different they are, in comparison the the majority of the population, the more segregated. Segregation can be due to desire to share culture, e.g. food services, religious buildings or defence from prejudice/racism. This leads to the formation of ghettos.

Life Cycle - people move through a life cycle, in terms of residential use, due to changes in income and age. Young adults tend to live closer to the CBD in small apartments, due to more job opportunities and the fact that they don't need much space. Elderly people tend to migrate away from urban areas.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by casey13343
Past 25 Markers:

Jan 13 -> energy: problems created by exploitation, tourism: sustainability
Jun 12 -> energy: sustainability, tourism: sustainability
Jan 12 -> energy: opportunities for economic development, tourism: opportunities for economic development
June 11 -> energy: two energy mixes, tourism: importance of tourism in two countries

I'm predicting a sustainability 25 marker for energy and issues of tourism.

They have only once done energy mixes so my bet is on 2 contrasting areas for that for the Energy- I HATED THE OTHER EXAM AND GOD I HOPE THIS ONE ISNT LIKE IT! Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 14
Also a map question is likely for the data analyse!
Reply 15
Original post by zebramww
They have only once done energy mixes so my bet is on 2 contrasting areas for that for the Energy- I HATED THE OTHER EXAM AND GOD I HOPE THIS ONE ISNT LIKE IT! Good luck everyone :smile:

Any help on energy mix please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by River227
Any help on energy mix please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did Uk and India, how they usage has changed and why- i.e gas in uk at 47% due to 1970's 'dash for gas' as found in the North Sea meaning domestic supply so much cheeper/acessable and good alternative. Where as India high usage of Coal as they are a NIC and therefore hugh manufactoring

(get the gist) :smile:
Reply 17
Ill see everyone at jobcentre x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
How did everyone find this then?
Went alright for the most part. I think I messed up the rural question by talking about Kibera, Nairobi. I also talked about Imlil and wensleydale so can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much marks can be expected to lose?

Quick Reply

Latest