The Student Room Group

AS A Level English Language B Unit 01 24th May am Categorising Texts

Anyone have any good tips on how to group? I always get in a panic, we did a mock and it took me 20 minutes to group them.. (I know it was really bad) so I desperately need some help!

Also, I get a bit confused with what exactly to write in my groups. Like if I grouped them by multi-modality, after every point I make, do I have to say this shows that it is multi-modal because...?
I don't know if I'm making sense (I'm not in my head) but if anyone can help me please that would be helpful :smile:
Reply 1
Make the groupings really simple. For example: graphology, written to persuade, informative etc. That way you will be left with room to talk about both similarities and differences between the texts, relating to their grouping.
Which section B question are you planning on doing and have you got any tips on how to revise for it/ structure the essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
im doing this exam too! im planning on spending a bit longer on the catagorising texts section (1hour 10/15 mins) so i have time to properly read and become farmiliar with the texts so when i identify aspects i will start to see groups forming. Usually after i state which ones i am grouping i will start to compare them and cover any grey areas (eg if there is a similarity between 2 of the 3 texts and one outside the grouping).
Also, at the top of each text write genre, audience and purpose so they leave you with some groups to fall back on. Try to go for more subtle groups for example, shared aspects of spontaneous speech or the use of modifying noun phrases then give examples and explain then analyse other parts of the texts which may be revelevant.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Sam7890
Make the groupings really simple. For example: graphology, written to persuade, informative etc. That way you will be left with room to talk about both similarities and differences between the texts, relating to their grouping.
Which section B question are you planning on doing and have you got any tips on how to revise for it/ structure the essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently graphology is quite a weak grouping so I might use that if it's like last resort!

I'm planning on doing gender, I have basically looked at past papers and studied the mark schemes to see where you can pick up marks.. like the main thing to remember in Section B is to always use context since you get 32 marks for contextual awareness and 16 marks for AO2 which is concepts and issues! I've also read the examiners reports too, because the people who will be marking our exams have wrote them so it's helpful to see what they want in it :smile:
I might look at some past example essays though somewhere to see how to structure it!
For revision just revise over the language devices and theorists I guess :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by RachelRose
im doing this exam too! im planning on spending a bit longer on the catagorising texts section (1hour 10/15 mins) so i have time to properly read and become farmiliar with the texts so when i identify aspects i will start to see groups forming. Usually after i state which ones i am grouping i will start to compare them and cover any grey areas (eg if there is a similarity between 2 of the 3 texts and one outside the grouping).
Also, at the top of each text write genre, audience and purpose so they leave you with some groups to fall back on. Try to go for more subtle groups for example, shared aspects of spontaneous speech or the use of modifying noun phrases then give examples and explain then analyse other parts of the texts which may be revelevant.
Good luck! :smile:

We're allowed to write in text booklet and annotate/highlight it if necessary aren't we? :smile:
Reply 5
Hey, I'm also doing this exam on Friday (arghh:bawling: ). Here are a few pointers that we have given by our teacher and also what I've just generally picked up from revision/looking at mark schemes etc. Some of these should seem pretty obvious but I'll put them down anyway!
1)Analyse and annotate all texts before writing your answer. Link to CRAP (context, register, audience and purpose) and the frameworks and write down possible groups you could use the text in to refer to later.
2) make your possible categories and write them all down in rough so you don't end up repeating yourself/getting mixed up in your answer.
3) Start your category by clearly stating what it is!! ('I am putting text A, B and C in to a category of persuasive language').
4) The first time a text has been used, state GAP (genre, audience and purpose) so the examiner knows instantly what you are talking about and you can refer back to it later on for context marks!
5) Explain why each text is in the category and compare them. Make sub-categories and say why you could put them together.
6) In your next category, link a text from the previous category to show fluency and 'a range of concepts and ideas' ('I could also put text B in a category of imperatives with text E and G').
Do not:
Make a category of only one text.
Ignore a text and not categorise it at all in your essay, you can loose marks!!!
Make too many or too little categories, aim for at least three and not many more than five.
Try not to talk about texts too much in isolation, examiners want to see you compare!
Have a look at this site which gives a good range of possible categories. However, remember when categorising to not look for features you already have in your head and try and make them fit the texts awkwardly but to look at what's in front of you! http://nfgsa2englishlanguage.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/categorising-texts Good luck for Friday!! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by chellls
We're allowed to write in text booklet and annotate/highlight it if necessary aren't we? :smile:

yeah :smile: we were told our question papers dont need collected in so we can write as much as we want on them, i suggest you right a good bit so you dont forget things when it comes to actually writing the answer.
We were told to only use graphology as a last resort because it doesnt show off understanding of language so try to focus more on lexis and grammar. But dont completely ignore graphology!
Reply 7
How did everyone feel about it? :smile:
Reply 8
I barely remember it now! But i dont think ive done as well as i could have, my timing was a bit off, i remember finding it difficult to fit on of the texts into a group and section B wasnt the best. But i cant change it now! how did you find it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending