The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Physics Paper 2 June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dommarko
Ahh unlucky, I thought about that at first

But there was no hot air because liquid oxygen is at -183 so I think it was cold air sinks down. It's like the freezer principle where cold air sinks down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Even though i did really well in the first paper, the max mark im gonna get from paper 2 is going to be 30! Not a single person out of my 100s of classmates did well in paper 2! I dont know what the reason was to create such a hard paper for edexcel, but i think you all agree that due to the change of specification in our exam we saw most of the questions for the first time! The papers' difficulty should have been totally evened out and since the results are gonna be so bad, expect to see the boundaries being lowered
Reply 22
I except the boundaries to be low 130s. Totally strange paper. Just had no clue how to go about answering the questions.
Reply 23
for the liquid oxygen lid thing I talked about convection currents not being able to form? I mean you need hot air to rise.. but there wasn't any? plus the previous two were talking about radiation and conduction so it just.. fit? idk by that point my brain was just freaking out and I was too focused on not being anle to answet other questions.
Reply 24
it might be just me.. but I feel as if some questions weren't based on the specification? or if they were ive never approached the syllabus at that angle before. physics is my strongest subject and ive never (in any subject let alone physics) had nothing to write.. I always come up with something which usually makes sense. im just really disappointed and glad that im not the only one that thinks they've done terribly. I think if we had more time (since I only just managed to finish) to think about the questions it would have been possible to do. but if you remember that 'what does 30W show about energy transference' I was like WOAH. hold up, how do you mix chapter 8 with chapter 18? I was so confused.. but I think if id had a good 15 mins to think about it, the connection between coulombs could have been made. I came out of the exam and thought and thought about it then finally found the connection. too bad it was too late. I hope the boundaries are low because I was guaranteed and A* and hope I get it (although70/75% isn't a satisfactory grade, even if its an A* its 20% less than ive ever gotten before in my life so its not something I would be proud of anyway).
Reply 25
Original post by omdavis
Hot air is less dense so it rises and therefore it wouldn't fall into the cup from above.. Not sure though..
Posted from TSR Mobile

did you guys have a problem with the last last question? the one where it said why to change direct current to alternating current? it confused me because I thought generators, since in an electromagnetic field follow Flemings left hand rule and thus generate an alternating current anyway?
plus the question before that on why are voltages increased before transmition? it was 4 marks but all id ever learnt was that current decreases so less energy is lost as heat.. how is that 4 marks?
Reply 26
I did a bar chart and I wrote that as voltage increased so did wavelength of the colour
As power=current*voltage, if voltage increases current must decrease if input power and output power are the same (should be in an 100% efficient thing)
I'm not sure about dc/ac question but I put that dc is converted to ac as mains electricity is run on ac and mains powered appliances are designed to be used with ac.
The format of the questions or at least the particular angle from which the topics were approached was unlike in any previous past paper: there was far more emphasis on "description questions" and far less on the mathematical side of physics...I totally wasn't prepared for it. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by dommarko
Was it convection for the lid? How hot air expands becomes less dense and rises?

for this I wrote that liquid oxygen was denser then The hot air so it could not escape through the top on the lid therefore no lid was needed, it's kind of visa-versa to the other answers I've seen but hopefully ill still get the marks.
Original post by ei200496
did you guys have a problem with the last last question? the one where it said why to change direct current to alternating current? it confused me because I thought generators, since in an electromagnetic field follow Flemings left hand rule and thus generate an alternating current anyway?
plus the question before that on why are voltages increased before transmition? it was 4 marks but all id ever learnt was that current decreases so less energy is lost as heat.. how is that 4 marks?

I put because they have to use step-up and step-down transformers (to stop as much energy being wasted in forms of heat etc) and transformers only work with AC current.
Reply 30
Original post by calliper
what about the momentum and moment one?

I said that because force=change in momentum/time that force caused the load to shift, and for the moment one i quoted the conservation of moment
Reply 31
I feel like this paper didnt have enough physics and had too much writingg
Reply 32
What did people put for the boilng water question when it asked about water changing into a gas. I just made it up... I said something along the lines of the boiling water means that the water molecules have more kinetic energy meaning faster movement and as it is boiling (very hot) the water expands, becomes less dense and rises.. Becoming water vapour - gas.
Reply 33
Hey guys, people in my school found this exam impossible (even the clever ones :P). I was just wondering if you guys drew a line graph or a bar chart. I did a line graph because I rearranged the colours into ascending frequencies and it turned out to resemble a sort of straight line when I plotted it. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong though, everyone else seemed to do a bar chart.
Reply 34
Original post by Gloham
Hey guys, people in my school found this exam impossible (even the clever ones :P). I was just wondering if you guys drew a line graph or a bar chart. I did a line graph because I rearranged the colours into ascending frequencies and it turned out to resemble a sort of straight line when I plotted it. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong though, everyone else seemed to do a bar chart.

I did a bar chart, i think thats what you had to do because it didnt specify and also didnt say put in a line of best fit
Reply 35
I managed to get the lid question right but i was so flustered i did not explain it properly so i think i only got 1 out of the 2 marks.
I talked about convection currents transfer heat and oxygen is needed to be kept cool so no need for lid.
Reply 36
oh and you have to understand, for the bar chart question, that the data you were given was CATEGORIC hence you draw a bar chart.''and the tick box question did you put "same speed in free space?"
Reply 37
Original post by Polydeuces
oh and you have to understand, for the bar chart question, that the data you were given was CATEGORIC hence you draw a bar chart.''and the tick box question did you put "same speed in free space?"

didnt know what free space was so assumed vaccum and ticked same speed
Original post by Yazzah
didnt know what free space was so assumed vaccum and ticked same speed

All EM waves travel at the same speed so the answer is same speed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys for detailed discussion of the paper type int he search "edexcel igcse 2013 physics paper 1P"
People have discussed so much on paper 2 there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending