The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Physics Paper 2 June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Although I was flustered, I think i did not do too badly. (in terms of getting an overall A*) Only will find out in August >.<
Time to put it behind me and get on with other exams.
Reply 41
Original post by ei200496
did you guys have a problem with the last last question? the one where it said why to change direct current to alternating current? it confused me because I thought generators, since in an electromagnetic field follow Flemings left hand rule and thus generate an alternating current anyway?
plus the question before that on why are voltages increased before transmition? it was 4 marks but all id ever learnt was that current decreases so less energy is lost as heat.. how is that 4 marks?

"plus the question before that on why are voltages increased before transmition? it was 4 marks but all id ever learnt was that current decreases so less energy is lost as heat.. how is that 4 marks?"

answer for this question:
higher voltage so current decreases. Less energy losses, so becomes more efficient. Thinner cables could be used so cost is less.
Original post by apselv
"plus the question before that on why are voltages increased before transmition? it was 4 marks but all id ever learnt was that current decreases so less energy is lost as heat.. how is that 4 marks?"

higher voltage so current decreases. Less energy losses, so becomes more efficient. Thinner cables could be used so cost is less.

Transformers need AC to be transmitted not DC so they must be converted to DC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by alexgr97
I except the boundaries to be low 130s. Totally strange paper. Just had no clue how to go about answering the questions.

Grade boundaries will definitely be low this time.
Original post by apselv
Grade boundaries will definitely be low this time.

Lol I wouldn't lie but people are expecting the grade boundary to be around 140. Some people did find this paper easy as well but not me :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Hey guys, something I found interesting about the bar chart question and an in-depth explanation as for why the student was right:
Planck's equation tells us that E=hf.
We know from the wave equation that f=c/λ. Therefore, E=hc/λ.
We know from our definition of potential difference that: V=E/Q.
Therefore, rearranging V=E/Q for E, we obtain E=VQ.
Therefore, substituting into Planck's equation we get VQ=hc/λ.
Rearranging for voltage, we get V=hc/Qλ, hence proving that voltage is inversely proportional to wavelength!
:smile:
Reply 46
Hey guys, something I found interesting about the bar chart question and an in-depth explanation as for why the student was right:
Planck's equation tells us that E=hf.
We know from the wave equation that f=c/λ. Therefore, E=hc/λ.
We know from our definition of potential difference that: V=E/Q.
Therefore, rearranging V=E/Q for E, we obtain E=VQ.
Therefore, substituting into Planck's equation we get VQ=hc/λ.
Rearranging for voltage, we get V=hc/Qλ, hence proving that voltage is inversely proportional to wavelength!

nice! will be useful for AS levels lol since gcse Physics is finished >.>
ans yeah i got that answer too but i explained it in words rather than mathematical symbols
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by apselv

I talked about it being needed travelling long distances in the national grid, efficiency, V=IR (less resistance therefore less electrical energy lost as heat therefore more efficient) Will i still get 4 marks?
Reply 48
I hope the boundaries will be low... but I'm worried that the exam board might suddenly decide to raise the grade thresholds, simply because way too many people have been getting A*/A in the recent years and also this paper was the first one for the new specification (June 2013) so it might be the best opportunity for the examiners to do nasty things to us...
Reply 49
Original post by KashimaK
I hope the boundaries will be low... but I'm worried that the exam board might suddenly decide to raise the grade thresholds, simply because way too many people have been getting A*/A in the recent years and also this paper was the first one for the new specification (June 2013) so it might be the best opportunity for the examiners to do nasty things to us...

agreed :frown:
Reply 50
Why was it suppose to be a bar chart??
I don't get it
Reply 51
Original post by hhalai96
I don't get it

I think that we were meant to draw a bar chart, with the different colours along the horizontal axis, and with the (minimum) voltage along the vertical axis.
Reply 52
i understand the moment one, but for momentum is it force= change in momentum/ time?
Reply 53
Original post by legolas2
i understand the moment one, but for momentum is it force= change in momentum/ time?

yep
Reply 54
Original post by hhalai96
I don't get it

the x-axis variables were discrete not continuous. some of my friends drew a scatter chart. that could get marks but im not sure.
Bar chart bar chart bar chart

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
no the data was categoric. You should know that when the data is presented in categories, you always draw a bar/line/pie chart. That is indisputable. It is basic science/statistics.

Anyways lets put this exam behind us, we do not have a physics paper 3. What's done is done... for now. (those who are doing AS)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
You say that its categoric data, and that's the simple conclusion to jump to. However if you correctly realised that you should rearrange the colours into ascending frequencies (Red orange yellow green blue), and plotted this information, it was quite clear that a straight line of best fit was the way to go. So even though it had names, it wasn't simply names, it was frequencies. Just my opinion, still could be wrong...
Reply 58
i totally forgot about the order of frequency when plotting my graph :frown: could that be a marking point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by Gloham
You say that its categoric data, and that's the simple conclusion to jump to. However if you correctly realised that you should rearrange the colours into ascending frequencies (Red orange yellow green blue), and plotted this information, it was quite clear that a straight line of best fit was the way to go. So even though it had names, it wasn't simply names, it was frequencies. Just my opinion, still could be wrong...

Exactly, this is what I did. We should still get some of the marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending