The Student Room Group

Any way of getting my exam paper

I have made a mistake on my English Lit paper I sat on Thursday. You get given a booklet to write in and there are boxes going down the side of the paper and you write the question number you are answering in the boxes. In my exam we had to answer two questions.
My problem is that when I went to answer the second question, I forgot to put the question number beside it, so it looks like one long essay.
Is there any way of getting it back? Can I inform aqa of what I've done? Basically, can I do anything?
Reply 1
let your exams officer at school know as soon as possible, but i think the school do check, and ive know loads of people that have done that and none seem to be downgraded or anything
Reply 2
Original post by SamA7
I have made a mistake on my English Lit paper I sat on Thursday. Is there any way of getting it back?

Not until the results come out.

Original post by SamA7
Can I inform aqa of what I've done? Basically, can I do anything?

Really, don't bother. I estimate that someone does this more or less at every school every day during the exam season (and that's based on 8 years as an exams officer and countless distraught candidates coming in and telling me they have done just what you have done). The examiner will notice; it will be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Data
Not until the results come out.

Really, don't bother. I estimate that someone does this more or less at every school every day during the exam season (and that's based on 8 years as an exams officer and countless distraught candidates coming in and telling me they have done just what you have done). The examiner will notice; it will be fine.

Thank you so much! but even if it looks like one long essay? How would the examiner know that I've answered both questions?
Reply 4
Original post by Amber May
ive know loads of people that have done that and none seem to be downgraded or anything

Thank you!! but how would they know I've answered both questions?
Reply 5
Original post by SamA7
Thank you!! but how would they know I've answered both questions?

Presumably you did at least start the 2nd question on a new line? If you did I a sure they will work it out - they are expecting 2 questions and I am sure they will manage to find them.
Examiners are humans too! They realise that in the stress of the exam, people can accidentally miss things or fill things in wrong (I mean, who hasn't almost spelled their own name wrong?)

They'll notice that the questions are different, I wouldn't worry about it!
Reply 7
Original post by Data
Presumably you did at least start the 2nd question on a new line? If you did I a sure they will work it out - they are expecting 2 questions

they were on different pages but I finished the first question filling the whole paper
I thought two different examiners mark the paper if there are two questions
Were they on different topics, or were the topics similar to one another?
As previous people have said, Examiners are not autonomous robots. The two essays are on completely different texts so it will be pretty obvious when the new essay begins since you will be discussing a different book. You're not doing yourself any favours in the examiner's eyes but I don't think it will affect your results.

But regarding the question in the title, no. The paper was probably sent off by a dedicated courier a few hours after you sat the exam/
Original post by Scoonezy
Were they on different topics, or were the topics similar to one another?

Both about poems, one was about one poem I've studied and another about an unseen poem
Original post by SamA7
Both about poems, one was about one poem I've studied and another about an unseen poem

If the poems were different, I'm sure the examiners will notice.
Don't worry about it :smile:
I'm sorry but you messed up bro. This is AQA we are talking about
You're probably not the only person in the country to have done this. Inform your English teachers and examination officer at school, and see if they can approach AQA to query the problem. So long as your essay was well-written and responds with the correct answer to the questions you answered, I'm sure the examiners will be able to figure out which question number you intended to write.

Most people in my sixth form forgot to tick the box saying which question they'd answered in most of their written subject exams. You'd think that by studying A Levels we'd know better than that but clearly not...

Everyone does it every year, don't panic too much about it. If the results do come back unexpected, you can obtain the paper and request for your paper to be remarked.
Reply 14
Original post by megantrace
If the results do come back unexpected, you can obtain the paper and request for your paper to be remarked.

For GCSE, if you pay to get the paper back they wlll not send it back until it is too late for a re-mark.
You'd have to ask for a photocopy of the paper. Once they've sent it to you, they won't remark it because you could have tampered with the paper... :/
Reply 16
You'd have to ask for a photocopy of the paper. Once they've sent it to you, they won't remark it because you could have tampered with the paper... :/

You can't get a photocopy ( or priority copy) for GCSE, it's the original (standard copy) or nothing.
Original post by Data
You can't get a photocopy ( or priority copy) for GCSE, it's the original (standard copy) or nothing.

Oh, crikey! Didn't realise!
Reply 18
Oh, crikey! Didn't realise!

I presume they don't offer them because they couldn't cope with the demand if they allowed photocopies, but it always seems unfair as you have to go for a re-mark without any idea of whether it's worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest