The Student Room Group

Internships

Hello,

I will be first year student in the University of Edinburgh and already started planning an internship during the next summer.

Is it possible to get one after first year Computer Science studies? I know that most people find it easier to get one after their second/third year but wonder whether it's possible. One of my friends got one in Android Development even though he does not know anything about it. The guy who interviewed him handled him materials to learn and gave him time until June :biggrin:

I have some skills in programming/problem solving/mathematics already and currently got into learning about web design which I find interesting too.

I consider myself having an intermediate knowledge of Java/Python and beginner understanding of web technologies and C#

Do you know any websites on internships or maybe you know some people who are interested in employing a young, eager to learn person?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I couldn't recommend any specific list of placements, although as it's very competitive to get graduate jobs then in general you should try to get as much experience as possible. This means applying for internships early on in your degree for during any of the holidays, as well as for after the second year which is the most common time to do internships.
Original post by Valentas
Hello,

I will be first year student in the University of Edinburgh and already started planning an internship during the next summer.

Is it possible to get one after first year Computer Science studies? I know that most people find it easier to get one after their second/third year but wonder whether it's possible. One of my friends got one in Android Development even though he does not know anything about it. The guy who interviewed him handled him materials to learn and gave him time until June :biggrin:

I have some skills in programming/problem solving/mathematics already and currently got into learning about web design which I find interesting too.

I consider myself having an intermediate knowledge of Java/Python and beginner understanding of web technologies and C#

Do you know any websites on internships or maybe you know some people who are interested in employing a young, eager to learn person?

Thanks.

Approach local IT companies about any possible work experience/internship that you can do for them through phoning or emailing them. It shows that you are interested and motivated. It will allow you to network with others and help gain that all important reference that will help getting jobs easier in the future.
I just applied to local companies, it seemed to work as I had a related job each summer. Although seeming you're in Edinburgh, there's http://www.e-placementscotland.com/ that covers IT, although I never used them.
I think you should take every opportunity to get your foot in the door with companies and get the experience of graduate job applications. The more experience you have applying for these jobs, the easier it will be when you apply for a graduate position in your final year. And it will be a bonus if you can get an internship after year one.
Reply 5
I found some cool companies I want to work for but I lack skills to start there: mainly Python, good understanding of web technologies, so currently I'm pushing forward with python and django :smile:

Thanks for advice.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't get an internship in the summer after your first year. The fact that you already have some skills and are working to develop others will really appeal to potential employers. I would target both local companies directly and look online for summer placements, there are lots of websites advertising them. Even just the process of applying for them will help you later when you come to apply for a placement year or graduate position.
(edited 10 years ago)
We (http://careers.metaswitch.com/internships/) offer internships to first-years. (We also have an Edinburgh office, if you're keen to stay in the city for the summer, though most interns go to our north London office.)
Reply 8
Original post by ThePants999
We (http://careers.metaswitch.com/internships/) offer internships to first-years. (We also have an Edinburgh office, if you're keen to stay in the city for the summer, though most interns go to our north London office.)

Hi, thank you for an input. I am planning to stay in Edinburgh during the summer. Though time will show. Are there opportunities for part-time work. Not only during summer?
Original post by Valentas
Hi, thank you for an input. I am planning to stay in Edinburgh during the summer. Though time will show. Are there opportunities for part-time work. Not only during summer?

Do you mean part-time, or do you mean temporary? We can take interns at any time of year as long as they can commit to a minimum of 8 weeks, but all the roles are full-time. Coming at a time other than summer, though, will mean you miss out on the intern community.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending