URL Parts - example: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/computing_new.php

http:// - Protocol to be used
www. - Data is stored on the World Wide Web
aqa.org.uk - Fully Qualified Domain Name
.org - Organisation's website
.uk - Domain was registered in the UK
www.aqa.org.uk - Address of server
/qual/gce/computing_new.php - Path to desired file on server

Hope this helped! (If anything is incorrect please do tell me)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Compiler vs Interpreter? What do they each do & what are the differences?

Compiler produces executable object code; an interpreter does not produce object code.

Compiled code (object code) will execute faster than interpreted code.

Once compiled, the compiler is no longer needed to run the program; an interpreter is always needed to run interpreted code.

Compiled code will only execute on the same processor type/instruction set for which it was compiled; interpreted code is more portable.

Once compiled, the source code is no longer needed to run the program; an interpreter always needs the source code to run the program.

Compiler translates (and optimises) whole source code at once; an interpreter analyses and executes the program line at a time.

I'm going to sound like a complete idiot here and probably shouldn't be asking this but..

How do you tell which direction the arrows go from the data bus, address bus and system bus etc?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 64
Original post by DanielCook95
I'm going to sound like a complete idiot here and probably shouldn't be asking this but..

How do you tell which direction the arrows go from the data bus, address bus and system bus etc?

Thanks in advance!

i think it will depend on which component you are connect it to!

for example: the address bus will point the arrow to the Main memory because when the processor fetch for data it will pass the address location on to the address bus and look for the data in the Main memory.

hope that helps!
Original post by jackykkkan
i think it will depend on which component you are connect it to!

for example: the address bus will point the arrow to the Main memory because when the processor fetch for data it will pass the address location on to the address bus and look for the data in the Main memory.

hope that helps!

That's what I think it is as well but for some reason my mind confuses me about it! :angry:
Reply 66
Original post by DanielCook95
That's what I think it is as well but for some reason my mind confuses me about it! :angry:

You may want to know that the address bus is the only unidirectional bus - that is it only goes one way, out of the Memory Address Register. The Data bus and control buses are both bidirectional
Original post by m00c0w
You may want to know that the address bus is the only unidirectional bus - that is it only goes one way, out of the Memory Address Register. The Data bus and control buses are both bidirectional

Jesus christ, I think I had the meanings and definitions the wrong war around. I thought unidirectional meant both ways.. :colondollar:
Reply 68
What are the main differences in compiled high level programming language, lower level and SQL?
Reply 69
Just to further add you most definitely will get asked on drawing out logic circuits and simplifying a boolean expression. There is a common trait of this from past papers including questions on fetch execute cycle, labelling internal components of a computer, HTML, knowing advantages and difference between low level and highlevel (imperative/declarative). knowing difference between application/general bespoke/system software and being able to what they are. a Data protection act or digital rights management question is usually at the end.
Reply 70
Does anybody have a copy of the jan 13 paper that they could share please? :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by m00c0w
I have done two questions where I have answered that and gotten full marks. Plus you haven't mentioned anything about the Network layer

I was just mentioning the parts you did wrong.
Reply 72

It's actually really outdated and the definitions aren't good based of the mark scheme.

It also misses out a lot of detail at places and has to much in others.
Reply 73
AQA-COMP2-QP-Jan13.pdfAQA-COMP2-W-MS-JAN13.pdf
Original post by Hicko
Does anybody have a copy of the jan 13 paper that they could share please? :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by shivishivi
I was just mentioning the parts you did wrong.

I just checked what I wrote in a mark scheme, and out of 6 points that needed to be mentioned, I mentioned 7.
Reply 75
When does everyone's study leave end? Mine ends tomorrow morning, so I have to go to school before my exam:angry:
Reply 76
I'm doing my GCSEs, so this is an early one for me. I have leave until September!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by m00c0w
When does everyone's study leave end? Mine ends tomorrow morning, so I have to go to school before my exam:angry:

I go back on Monday. If I were you I'd skip school or go in and revise for your exam. Think of how beneficial that time will be compared with a few lessons where everyone is talking because they haven't seen each other in so long.
Smart move skip school.
Reply 78
Original post by m00c0w
I just checked what I wrote in a mark scheme, and out of 6 points that needed to be mentioned, I mentioned 7.

The mark scheme constantly changes. It's better to write more, rather than less. Also, the marks aren't just a point based system. You don't mention 6 points and get 6 marks. You have to mention everything - It is banded.

I know this because my teacher knows many students who made the same mistake, and lost marks due to a harsh examiner.
Original post by amarz
What are the main differences in compiled high level programming language, lower level and SQL?

1st Generation

Machine code is the only program code a computer can execute directly.

Machine code is tedious to program - you can use hexidecimal but this is still laborious.

Each family of processors has its own machine language for its instruction set.

2nd Generation

Assembly language was created to make programming slightly easier than using machine code.

Assembly language has the same structure and instruction set as machine language, but uses mnemonics instead of numbers.

Assembly language is used when execution speed of the program is essential, or when the programmer needs to perform an operation not available in a High Level Language, such as controlling certain hardware.

3rd Generation

Imperative - the program is executed in a programmer defined sequence.

Uses English-like keywords to express the basic constructs of sequence, selection, and iteration.

One statement translates to several machine code statements/instructions.

Less tedious to program.

Platform/machine/processor independent/portable

Problem oriented

The programmer specifies how to computation is to be done to solve the problem.

Languages used for different problems:

Fortran - scientific and engineering problems

C - primarily for writing system software

PHP - server-side scripting

4th Generation

Declarative - the programmer defines what is to be computed rather than how the computation is to be done to solve the problem.

A language that does not specify the order in which to carry out actions to solve a problem.

A class of language including functional and logic programming languages.

Applications include:

Artificial Intelligence

Natural Language Processing

Querying a database

Solving logic problems

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending