The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 French (6FR04) - 14th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by girlikemoixx
I don't think you need to worry because you could still do two B-grade essays and come up with an A in that exam. Is that what you need?

Yeah I need an A for french overall. Perhaps the oral can bring me up a bit if it went well? I need 71% this year for an A overall, so if I got like 4/10 for the translation, then like 35/45 for the research essay and 31/45 for the discursive that would be 70 which would be enough I guess...though I really don't know if the research essay went well. I liked the question I'm just so annoyed I didn't really use the word 'style' as I thought it was self-explanatory in my essay but ugh do you think I'll get marked down for not answering the question? :frown:
Reply 141
Original post by GB_OH
Our teacher often uses it when talking about Francophone Africa.. Just fortunate I'd come across it before.. There wasn't much grammar in the translation, as there usually is, mainly vocab which I really didn't like.

What did anybody do did the Historic Study RBE think of the question? I rather liked it!

I did the social aspect one on immigration, just did my own research outside of the rest of the class as the literature one is hard i find.
Original post by Morgasm19
Yeah I need an A for french overall. Perhaps the oral can bring me up a bit if it went well? I need 71% this year for an A overall, so if I got like 4/10 for the translation, then like 35/45 for the research essay and 31/45 for the discursive that would be 70 which would be enough I guess...though I really don't know if the research essay went well. I liked the question I'm just so annoyed I didn't really use the word 'style' as I thought it was self-explanatory in my essay but ugh do you think I'll get marked down for not answering the question? :frown:

I don't think you will get marked down too harshly for not answering the full question but if it seems you answered aspects of the question, you can still get very good marks.
Reply 143
I was so happy with the paper! I loved it!! the third-world chapter was the only one my teacher focused on because she's really into the whole helping the children of africa thing so i knew most of the world except for the tiers-monde ( i put troisieme monde:confused:) then the scientifique essay was the same as my speaking as i did about the cellules souches and OGM and the literature essay was fine as well as everyone predicted that style/technique would be in so i studied it well!!! i just hope my vocab is good enough and i didn't make any grammatical mistakes!
Original post by GB_OH
Didn't like the translation either, had massive blanks and forgot words I know like 'homeless people'... So annoyed!!

'Third world' is 'tiers-monde'... I wanted to put 'en voie de developpement' (more PC :P) but didn't want to risk the mark!

I put 'tiere monde' :frown:
Reply 145
Thing is, there are sometimes alternative words/phrases they actually accept..... I doubt troisieme monde will be one of them though.

for example, there's one part where i'm sure you could of said either occident/l'ouest meaning the West.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think you will get marked down too harshly for not answering the full question but if it seems you answered aspects of the question, you can still get very good marks.

It's irritating me because I did answer the question I think but they could be pedantic and just say I didn't. Also seems like everyone loved this paper so the grade boundaries probably won't be lenient :frown: . Ahhh I don't have an insurance uni I'm screwed :frown:
Reply 147
It's irritating me because I did answer the question I think but they could be pedantic and just say I didn't. Also seems like everyone loved this paper so the grade boundaries probably won't be lenient :frown: . Ahhh I don't have an insurance uni I'm screwed :frown:

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, so long as you're writing about stuff that's related to style it shouldn't be an issue :smile: Also, I think they prefer you to use synonyms instead of relying on the title, it's not like in Literature where you have to repeat the words in question, like, every four lines!

I think I did alright, was very happy about the RBE question, and I did question one about science/tech. I think I could have written more about other issues instead of too much about medical advances, but it's such a wider-ranging topic so it's difficult to include every useful point.
Original post by Nostromo
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, so long as you're writing about stuff that's related to style it shouldn't be an issue :smile: Also, I think they prefer you to use synonyms instead of relying on the title, it's not like in Literature where you have to repeat the words in question, like, every four lines!

I think I did alright, was very happy about the RBE question, and I did question one about science/tech. I think I could have written more about other issues instead of too much about medical advances, but it's such a wider-ranging topic so it's difficult to include every useful point.

Thanks for the reassurance :smile:

Sounds like you did really well! I chose that question too :smile: Yeah I didn't really talk much about technological progress but as you say it's such a big topic it's difficult to include everything!

I guess I'll just try and forget about it till August :smile:

Thank you :smile: I hope it will be fine x
Can we post the translation and what everyone put for it?

All I remember is:
la pauvrete touche egalement le monde entier. Bien que

and thats it. help would be appreciated???:smile:
I also remember the last word bit was il a ajoutee. And that the word for homeless people was les gens sans-abri

if everyone posts what they remember we should be able to piece it together.
Original post by frenchalevelhelp
I also remember the last word bit was il a ajoutee. And that the word for homeless people was les gens sans-abri

if everyone posts what they remember we should be able to piece it together.

noooo I wrote 'sans-abris' :frown: I genuinely think I got like 1 for the translation
noooo I wrote 'sans-abris' :frown: I genuinely think I got like 1 for the translation

i'm sure they'll be lenient its only 1 letter. can you remember what was after bien que? pretty sure I forgot subjunctive.
i'm sure they'll be lenient its only 1 letter. can you remember what was after bien que? pretty sure I forgot subjunctive.

It was although we see I think so 'bien qu'on voie' then it went on to say disturbing images on the television of people suffering from malnutrition I think?
in the discursive essay for the scientific and technological thing i put advantages and disadvantages of technology as part of my essay?
do you think i'm on the right lines?
Reply 156
AAAHH when i saw the style question i was gonna scream out LOOOUUD i was actually crying tears of joy. it was the most simple question EVER omg not even a two part question.
For the discursive essay i did the technology question seems like many did that question
And as for the translation...................................... well i probably got 2/10 lol. the thing is the grammar wasn't even hard it was all the vocab i just couldn't remember GGGRRRRR the amount of blanks i left is ridiculous. all the other alternative phrases, i knew there were not right. the examiner would just look at it, laugh and then cross it out so i thought let the examiner save some ink lol
Reply 157
Original post by mcj24
AAAHH when i saw the style question i was gonna scream out LOOOUUD i was actually crying tears of joy. it was the most simple question EVER omg not even a two part question.
For the discursive essay i did the technology question seems like many did that question
And as for the translation...................................... well i probably got 2/10 lol. the thing is the grammar wasn't even hard it was all the vocab i just couldn't remember GGGRRRRR the amount of blanks i left is ridiculous. all the other alternative phrases, i knew there were not right. the examiner would just look at it, laugh and then cross it out so i thought let the examiner save some ink lol

I was exactly the same seeing the research question!! it was literally the exact question I had done the best research for and learnt :')
I did the A2 papers for French, Spanish, and German this year. Whilst I speak fluent French, I found the paper quite challenging. I found the French translation exercise harder than the Spanish or German.
I wrote the historical essay for question 3. I wrote about the revocation of the Edict of Nantes by the introduction of the Edict of Fountainebleau in 1685.
For question 2 I wrote the essay about whether we should stop advancements in technology because they only cause harm.

Overall I think I did well, but certain terms in the translation part had me pondering for a while. I.e. 'to provide' is 'fournir', etc..
It was also important that you didn't translate 'although' as 'même si'; 'même si' means 'even if'. The correct answer was 'bien que' or 'quoique'.

I didn't supply a bibliography for my historical essay. Can I lose marks for that?

Ummm was it something like we see disturbing images on television of people suffering from malnutrition or something? I really can't remember I'm sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending