The Student Room Group

risotto vs paella rice

Is there any difference between paella and risotto rice sold in the supermarkets?

They're both shortgrain so there can't be much of a difference.

We usually buy whichever works out cheapest and use that for paellas and risottos, and they taste fine, does anyone else? or do you have both kinds of rice and use the correct one?
Reply 1
As far as I was aware, and I could he wrong, but I thought risotto rice was the same thing as paella rice and also the same thing as rice pudding rice

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S
Reply 2
I believe two different types of rice are used for Paella and Risotto. The risotto rice has a much creamier and sticky texture to it when cooked (it has a higher starch content). As for the rice used in Paella it sticks together but does not have the same creamy aspect to it.

Risotto Rice - Arborio, Baldo, Carnaroli, Maratelli, Padano, Roma, and Vialone Nano.
Paella Rice - Bahia, Balilla, Bomba, Senia, and Calasparra.

I tend to use the Arborio for my risotto and just general white rice for paella but its just down to taste I guess.
Original post by Grawr
I believe two different types of rice are used for Paella and Risotto. The risotto rice has a much creamier and sticky texture to it when cooked (it has a higher starch content). As for the rice used in Paella it sticks together but does not have the same creamy aspect to it.

Risotto Rice - Arborio, Baldo, Carnaroli, Maratelli, Padano, Roma, and Vialone Nano.
Paella Rice - Bahia, Balilla, Bomba, Senia, and Calasparra.

I tend to use the Arborio for my risotto and just general white rice for paella but its just down to taste I guess.

This, they are from different 'families' of rice. Rissoto rice as stated is more creamy, starchy etc. Paella rice will soak up the liquid more and secrete less startch, it also has a bit more of a cruch/is more al dente.

Quick Reply

Latest