The Student Room Group

Jamie Oliver

Some people love him and some people hate him, Jamie Oliver's got to be one of if not the most divisive chefs out there. Personally, I think Jamie's recipes are superb, and I think his personality is pleasant if a bit too happy-go-lucky.

I know he's been involved with a lot of controversy over the years, such as when he got turkey twizzlers banned from schools, his dealings with SHELL, his folded restaurant chain that put many out of work, his hypocrisy involving the sugar tax, and many other controversial endeavors.

However, I think many people are OTT about hating the guy. He's rich and he's plastered all over the UK's culinary scene, but I don't think he's that bad of a person. Like many of us, he wants to make money out of what he's good at doing. I believe he has the best of intentions, even if he may not practice what he preaches.

What do you think of Jamie Oliver and if you hate him why?

Scroll to see replies

I used to fancy him when I was a teenager, back in his Naked Chef days.
Now I don't have an opinion on him either way.
I'd like to know why he's so rated as a restaurant chef, when he could only have worked professionally for a couple of years.
The fatty with the lisp? Not a fan.
Successfully made school dinners worse across the UK; and was an unsuccessful restauranteur.

When he sticks to helping people improve at home cooking he does well.
tribute to one of his best moments :colondollar:
An utter jerk with more ego than common sense or talent.
I prefer Cyrus Todiwala, Gizzi Erskine, Gordon Ramsay, James Martin, Mary Berry, Meena Pathak, Nigella Lawson or Vivek Singh.

His revolting 'Jamie's Italian' red grape & honey pizza put my best friend and I in hospital on my 18th.
Dreadful food that is usually far from healthy, dreadful manners, very overbearing personality and foul individual.
His behaviour in the usa was abysmal and a very poor reflection upon all the british visitors who know to conduct themselves in the manner of reasonably civilised guests with no desire to be disruptive or play the fool whilst receiving the hospitality of a foreign nation & its local citizens.
Uncle Roger: "He made all our Asian ancestors cry again HAIYAA"
Original post by mnot
Successfully made school dinners worse across the UK; and was an unsuccessful restauranteur.

When he sticks to helping people improve at home cooking he does well.

How did he make them worse beyond making them healthier? As in what was better about school dinners before compared to now?
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
Some people love him and some people hate him, Jamie Oliver's got to be one of if not the most divisive chefs out there. Personally, I think Jamie's recipes are superb, and I think his personality is pleasant if a bit too happy-go-lucky.

I know he's been involved with a lot of controversy over the years, such as when he got turkey twizzlers banned from schools, his dealings with SHELL, his folded restaurant chain that put many out of work, his hypocrisy involving the sugar tax, and many other controversial endeavors.

However, I think many people are OTT about hating the guy. He's rich and he's plastered all over the UK's culinary scene, but I don't think he's that bad of a person. Like many of us, he wants to make money out of what he's good at doing. I believe he has the best of intentions, even if he may not practice what he preaches.

What do you think of Jamie Oliver and if you hate him why?

NONONONONONO HE PUT CHILLI JAM IN EGG FRIED RICE.
His sins shall never be forgotten.
Original post by hungrysalamander
NONONONONONO HE PUT CHILLI JAM IN EGG FRIED RICE.
His sins shall never be forgotten.

He wet the rice and used packet rice
He sizzled spring onion/scallion
He break the tofu

You should see BBC make egg fried rice if you haven't already (warning: You'll probably be triggered)

I'm not Asian, but I can see why some Asians and Jamaicans (Jamie Olive Oil made Jerk Rice) aren't happy with him.
I don't know why chefs need to bend to the tradition of other cultures all the time. Foreigners will always kick up a fuss if a celebrity chef doesn't produce their dish exactly how they think it should be made.
I don't know why chefs need to bend to the tradition of other cultures all the time. Foreigners will always kick up a fuss if a celebrity chef doesn't produce their dish exactly how they think it should be made.

Nah it's not simply a matter of being exact, it's a matter of researching the dish first (if you're a professional chef who's trying to educate or show people how to make the dish) and getting the basics right (e.g not using soba noodles instead of ramen noodles for a ramen noodle dish) in my opinion.

I'm not Asian or Jamaican but I sure as hell would be triggered with Jamie Oliver's cooking if I was.
Original post by Talkative Toad
How did he make them worse beyond making them healthier? As in what was better about school dinners before compared to now?

Drastically reduced the options including lots of simple yet tasty things for marginal health gain. I wouldn’t even necessarily agree with healthier, now lets look at the actual food most schools used to serve things like chicken nuggets or turkey twizler now they largely rely on high carbohydrate meals like pasta or baguettes (basically exchanging processed protein for carbs… whilst their is n argument over ingredient nutritional value overall health is pretty questionable).

It was the classic famous person turns into social warrior when no one in society asked or wanted them to.
(edited 1 year ago)
Having said that, at least he's not an unrepentant criminal like Gino DiCampo.

PRSOM :lol: Don't like Jamie Olive Oil one bit.
(edited 1 year ago)

Imagine putting chilli jam in egg fried rice (bleurgh)
Original post by TypicalNerd
Imagine putting chilli jam in egg fried rice (bleurgh)

:s-smilie:
Nah it's not simply a matter of being exact, it's a matter of researching the dish first (if you're a professional chef who's trying to educate or show people how to make the dish) and getting the basics right (e.g not using soba noodles instead of ramen noodles for a ramen noodle dish) in my opinion.

I'm not Asian or Jamaican but I sure as hell would be triggered with Jamie Oliver's cooking if I was.

Sure if the recipe is claiming any authenticity or mentions the country that it's from. Like for example if Jamie was to do an "Authentic Spanish Paella", it definitely should not include chorizo in it-like the real paella he made, though whether that dish claimed to be authentic I don't know.
Sure if the recipe is claiming any authenticity or mentions the country that it's from. Like for example if Jamie was to do an "Authentic Spanish Paella", it definitely should not include chorizo in it-like the real paella he made, though whether that dish claimed to be authentic I don't know.

That is true but even if you don't claim it to be "authentic", you're a professional chef so need to get the basics right in my opinion. Can't call a dish a ramen noodle dish if you're not going to use ramen noodles for example lol.

I personally hold no personal strong grudges against Jamie Oliver but I can see why others do and why some say that he should stick to food that he knows how to cook properly (i.e they say that he should stick to Italian/British food and stop making Asian food (that's kind of gatekeeping though)).
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest