The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone sat the UKCAT test before or know of anyone who has? I would like to know how difficult this is and what you need to get in the test to be considered for medicine?
Anyone got any tips or things to read or study whilst preparing for the UKCAT test?
Original post by StephanieGlacken
Has anyone sat the UKCAT test before or know of anyone who has? I would like to know how difficult this is and what you need to get in the test to be considered for medicine?

Hi :smile: Sorry this is going to be a block of text since my enter key isn't working! I did the UKCAT in 2011. It's not hard as such, it's just the timing that makes it's difficult. You could probably answer most of the questions given more time, but some sections work out at about 30 seconds per question, which obviously makes things harder! I got an average of 620, which is pretty average itself. I hope to get higher next time though! There are lots of strategies which can be used to improve scores, like only answering 80% of questions to give yourself more time, you kind of need to experiment and see what works for you. I used the UKCAT 100 questions book. It's good since there are loads of questions to practice, and there is an explanation as to how to get the answers. There are also practice tests. It's not too expensive either, I think it was about £20 on amazon. That book will be slightly out of date now since for 2013 entry they trialed a new section. Not sure if that will be included or not and I haven't found a book with it in, but there are loads of website. Just practice really! And book the test for July time so that you have time to alter your application if you do better/ worse than expected. Every med school uses UKCAT differently. Some have cut offs, which vary so you'll have to check with them, some use it to distinguish between two similar candidates, some don't really use it at all. They all state how they use it on their websites so just have a look :smile: . Sorry for the block of text!
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hey :smile: Have you tried applying to hospitals for stuff like voluntary work? Most of them have application forms that you fill in on their websites. They'd have to take you seriously since you're applying for a role!

Yeah! I've been working in A and E for a while now, but every time I apply to get shadowing work they will always give preference to A level students. I guess that is fair enough, but it has been a year now...
Reply 24
Original post by Brownie anyone?
Yeah! I've been working in A and E for a while now, but every time I apply to get shadowing work they will always give preference to A level students. I guess that is fair enough, but it has been a year now...

Speak to or email doctors directly. From the sounds of it, you're getting trapped in a bureaucratic net with the work experience people. If a doctor is happy for you to shadow them, you or they can then just inform HR/the work experience people that it is happening, and they should just have to deal with that fact.
Original post by Ronove
Speak to or email doctors directly. From the sounds of it, you're getting trapped in a bureaucratic net with the work experience people. If a doctor is happy for you to shadow them, you or they can then just inform HR/the work experience people that it is happening, and they should just have to deal with that fact.

how do you get a doctor to let you shadow then if you dont know any doctors. I rang a few of the local hospitals today and they all literally just got rid of me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Brownie anyone?
Can I just ask how you managed to get shadowing experience? (I study English and I am really struggling to get anyone to take me seriously!)

Luckily a friend of the family is a GP and so he has been a huge help in getting me some shadowing work.
Make sure you apply to GP surgery's away from your town due to confidentiality reasons (knowing people in your town etc). Just send them an email stating that you are applying to graduate entry medicine this year (or whenever you are applying) and that you are looking for any experience that they could give you. It might also help to attach a copy of your academic CV (you should always keep one saved and up to date)

I also emailed a letter off to a local hospice, which might be useful for you to try. Luckily I got a reply and I am going in for an interview next week to see if I can shadow the doctors on the ward.

I've never had any luck with getting experience in a hospital, it is literally impossible! :frown:

If you cant get any shadowing experience then always do volunteering over the holidays! They love volunteering! Weather it be befriending the elderly, or young adults with learning difficulties, helping in memory cafes stuff like that!

Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by XXSimranXX
how do you get a doctor to let you shadow then if you dont know any doctors. I rang a few of the local hospitals today and they all literally just got rid of me

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to ask to speak to HR or the work experience department if you ring a hospital. If you ring or write to a GP surgery, it seems to usually be the Practice Manager who calls the shots about shadowing. Sometimes a letter is best because they can't fob you off like on the phone and it looks more formal, but on the other hand it's easy to throw a letter in the bin. My advice to the other poster about contacting doctors directly was because she is being rejected by the work experience teams at hospitals because they usually only deal with people applying from Sixth Form. If you cannot find anywhere to take you though, you can try finding doctors' email addresses on hospital websites and asking them nicely (and formally) via email, explaining who you are and why you would like to shadow them.
Reply 28
I'll be applying for 2015 entry too! Excited :smile:
Original post by Ronove
You need to ask to speak to HR or the work experience department if you ring a hospital. If you ring or write to a GP surgery, it seems to usually be the Practice Manager who calls the shots about shadowing. Sometimes a letter is best because they can't fob you off like on the phone and it looks more formal, but on the other hand it's easy to throw a letter in the bin. My advice to the other poster about contacting doctors directly was because she is being rejected by the work experience teams at hospitals because they usually only deal with people applying from Sixth Form. If you cannot find anywhere to take you though, you can try finding doctors' email addresses on hospital websites and asking them nicely (and formally) via email, explaining who you are and why you would like to shadow them.

thanks for the advice. I think Im going try writting letters and if that doesnt work ill try the doctor thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I am (hopefully) applying for 2015 entry :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
i'm applying in 2015 too! I applied for 2012 entry for foundation medicine but didn't get in. Hopefully we will get a place this time round!
Reply 32
thanks for the advice. I think Im going try writting letters and if that doesnt work ill try the doctor thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've emailed what feels like hundreds of doctors, most of whom have ignored my messages the ones that do reply are usually quite helpful. I suggest emailing them months in advance. I've already sent a lot of applications for summer next year and quite a few are already booked up.
Original post by naila
I've emailed what feels like hundreds of doctors, most of whom have ignored my messages the ones that do reply are usually quite helpful. I suggest emailing them months in advance. I've already sent a lot of applications for summer next year and quite a few are already booked up.

yhh I emailed a few a while ago and didnt get any replied but i think i contacted departments and not individual doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
yhh I emailed a few a while ago and didnt get any replied but i think i contacted departments and not individual doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe try individual doctors and hospitals that have a work experience department?
Original post by naila
Maybe try individual doctors and hospitals that have a work experience department?

but where would i get contact details for this? when i look online i can only find department contact details. Also when i tried ringing all my local hospitals to speak to a work expereince coordinator they all forwarded my call to a number which never picked up haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I'm planning to apply for medicine too. Do you think that volunteering in a hospice as a tea lady is a relevant role to show my empathy skills? Also I am planning to volunteer in a hospital cafe, is that useful?
Original post by lovablebean
Hi guys, I'm planning to apply for medicine too. Do you think that volunteering in a hospice as a tea lady is a relevant role to show my empathy skills? Also I am planning to volunteer in a hospital cafe, is that useful?

I'd say it is :smile: you're in a caring environment and get patient contact.

Has anyone though about where they're going to apply? Would be great to meet people on open days!
Does anyone know the best way to get gp shadowing in London in particular because they all seem packed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
but where would i get contact details for this? when i look online i can only find department contact details. Also when i tried ringing all my local hospitals to speak to a work expereince coordinator they all forwarded my call to a number which never picked up haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I know the feeling. It depends on the hospital some put them up and others don't, it's usually under the 'our services' tab, click on the department and they might show you who's working there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending