The Student Room Group

Working in live television.....

Hi :-)
I've just finished my A levels in subjects totally non-media related and I'm now just starting my gap year. I've applied for a degree in management and plan on starting in September 2014 - with the intention of working in PR afterwards.
I recently went to see The Voice UK being filmed live and have had a total change of heart and have decided that I want to work in this kind of industry. I just loved the whole atmosphere and the rush to get everything done in time for when the shows airtime.
However, I know very little about this whole area and wondered whether somebody more knowledgeable about it all could answer a few questions for me?

What does a runner do?
What are the different roles of the people working on a live tv programme such as The Voice?
How hard is it to get into this industry?
What qualifications would I need? And would I need media based A levels to get onto these courses?
Do you need to be creative (I'm really not)?

And if anybody could just give me more general info then that would be great.
thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Answers:

What does a runner do?

He/she is the lowest rung of the chain in a production team and will do a range of jobs such as getting teas and coffees, driving people around, fetching carrying and basically helping out in a wide range of ways.

What are the different roles of the people working on a live tv programme such as The Voice?

There is no quick and easy answer to that question. There are literally hundreds of people involved; in production, crew, technical, facilities, post production etc etc. You need to read up about the different roles in a television team.

Very, very hard indeed. But harder than that, is to make a career in it over a long period of time. Most people do not get in, fewer make a good living, even fewere retire after a lifetime in the industry

What qualifications would I need? And would I need media based A levels to get onto these courses?

Nothing specific. No you don't need to do media based A Levels. Do the most academic subjects you can do to the highest level you can. Qualifications are way less important than experience.

No. Or rather no more than in any other field of work. everyone is "creative", even you. People in TV are not necessarily more creative than anyone else. It is a trade and a business, it is not an "art".

Beware though - live TV stdios in production are very seductive places. They look glamorous and fun, and they can be. But there is also a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes, non-glamorous and tough, behind the scenes. It may look fun, but there may well be better career paths to follow!
Reply 2
Original post by TV man
Answers:

What does a runner do?

He/she is the lowest rung of the chain in a production team and will do a range of jobs such as getting teas and coffees, driving people around, fetching carrying and basically helping out in a wide range of ways.

There is no quick and easy answer to that question. There are literally hundreds of people involved; in production, crew, technical, facilities, post production etc etc. You need to read up about the different roles in a television team.

Very, very hard indeed. But harder than that, is to make a career in it over a long period of time. Most people do not get in, fewer make a good living, even fewere retire after a lifetime in the industry

Nothing specific. No you don't need to do media based A Levels. Do the most academic subjects you can do to the highest level you can. Qualifications are way less important than experience.

No. Or rather no more than in any other field of work. everyone is "creative", even you. People in TV are not necessarily more creative than anyone else. It is a trade and a business, it is not an "art".

Beware though - live TV stdios in production are very seductive places. They look glamorous and fun, and they can be. But there is also a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes, non-glamorous and tough, behind the scenes. It may look fun, but there may well be better career paths to follow!

Thanks for all of your help!

After researching, I've decided that being a floor manager sounds the most appealing to me - is this one of the more or less competitive roles? I understand that you would need to work up to assistant floor manager first (probably from being a runner?).

How would I become a runner? I've looked on the Internet but there seem to be very few runner jobs advertised - is it more of a case of sending letters to places I would like to work?

Sorry about all of these questions - I just have no idea where to even start looking for the answers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Would a degree in management be more ideal for the role of a floor manager or more of a media related degree? (I know that a degree isn't necessary though)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
There is lots of information on the internet about how to become a runner - keep looking! And yes, essentially your first paid job will be as a runner if you wanted to be an AFM. It is phenomenally competitive, and extremely difficult to get into. Do not look at TV if you want security, guarantees of work, a pension, a well paid career or longevity.

A degree in management will not in any way lead you to being a floor manager, and a media related degree is not of particular use. Floor Management is not "management" in the sense you mean in anything but name.
(edited 10 years ago)
I cannot answer your questions, though I am sure Gus Poyet could tell you from his own experience last night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending