The Student Room Group

Law or Sociology? can't decide!!

okay, i realise this may sound stupid but i love both Sociology and law, so naturally i want to do them at uni, but my problem is that i havent found a uni yet that combines them both. So what am i supposed to do? :colondollar::confused:
Reply 1
Pretty sure Edinburgh does, and I think Surrey too. There'll be quite a few, but I think I've seen those combinations available at those uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Please do not do sociology. It's the worst of the Arts degrees out there. Law will open so many more doors.
Reply 3
Troll loves to troll!
Ah sociology and other unemployable degrees.
Reply 6
It's true Sociology won't be quite as "good" a degree as Law at face value, but i'm doing a sociology degree and i absolutely love it. if you aren't a detail oriented/factual person you'd probably enjoy sociology far more, as law contains all sorts of dates and bills that you have to remember, whilst sociology has a manageable amount of that type of thing. it's like studying life, and so relevant to your own life, it's brilliant. the opportunity is there to be creative with the subject too, and i often enjoy exams because i can argue my personal opinion, even if it is unconventional, and still get a good mark.

If you're intending to do a masters, it really doesn't matter which you go for. i'm intending to do a masters in marketing/business to go into advertising. It's also true that having law on your CV will be an automatic "i am smart and i can work very hard" to employers, but i think that advantage is overstated (especially by those who have law degrees). all degrees require a lot of hard work.

all i'd say is don't listen to those who say sociology degrees mean nothing, because their strength is that they are very flexible (plus work experience placements are the most important thing after you have a degree), but at the same time don't listen to those who say "just pick the degree you want to do" because law degrees may give you that little boost you need to get a particular job, particularly if you aren't doing a masters.
Reply 7
Thanks guys that's actually helped. But no matter how much I love law, sociology is a more accessible degree than law. So I guess I have to pick sociology anyway :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Tridentus
It's true Sociology won't be quite as "good" a degree as Law at face value, but i'm doing a sociology degree and i absolutely love it. if you aren't a detail oriented/factual person you'd probably enjoy sociology far more, as law contains all sorts of dates and bills that you have to remember, whilst sociology has a manageable amount of that type of thing. it's like studying life, and so relevant to your own life, it's brilliant. the opportunity is there to be creative with the subject too, and i often enjoy exams because i can argue my personal opinion, even if it is unconventional, and still get a good mark.

If you're intending to do a masters, it really doesn't matter which you go for. i'm intending to do a masters in marketing/business to go into advertising. It's also true that having law on your CV will be an automatic "i am smart and i can work very hard" to employers, but i think that advantage is overstated (especially by those who have law degrees). all degrees require a lot of hard work.

all i'd say is don't listen to those who say sociology degrees mean nothing, because their strength is that they are very flexible (plus work experience placements are the most important thing after you have a degree), but at the same time don't listen to those who say "just pick the degree you want to do" because law degrees may give you that little boost you need to get a particular job, particularly if you aren't doing a masters.

Thank you, you have cleared some things up for me :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by hussains8
okay, i realise this may sound stupid but i love both Sociology and law, so naturally i want to do them at uni, but my problem is that i havent found a uni yet that combines them both. So what am i supposed to do? :colondollar::confused:

You can do both at a number of unis :smile:
here is a link to the ucas search tool http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Query=law+and+sociology&Location=&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending