The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Best degrees at the OU

what ones are the best (career wise) and is the OU worth it after doing A-Levels?
Original post by Anonymous
what ones are the best (career wise) and is the OU worth it after doing A-Levels?

It all depends on what your career goals are. Also it's better to a degree you enjoy than a degree you'd be miserable doing.

I finished my A-levels in 2022, took a gap year then applied to OU earlier this summer. So far the course content is good quality and support offered by tutors seem quite good. The student support team is excellent too. So I'd say it's worth it unless you feel like distance learning isn't for you.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
It all depends on what your career goals are. Also it's better to a degree you enjoy than a degree you'd be miserable doing.

I finished my A-levels in 2022, took a gap year then applied to OU earlier this summer. So far the course content is good quality and support offered by tutors seem quite good. The student support team is excellent too. So I'd say it's worth it unless you feel like distance learning isn't for you.

I’m doing A-Levels from home so thankfully I am prepared for distance learning even though a degree will be harder but oh well!

I’m considering Law, business or psychology! Not sure on what I want to do but im doing my A-Levels so have a while to decide! Just curious about my options.

What degree are you doing? And the OU seems really good! I will definitely consider that option. Are u studying full-time or part-time?
I’m doing A-Levels from home so thankfully I am prepared for distance learning even though a degree will be harder but oh well!

I’m considering Law, business or psychology! Not sure on what I want to do but im doing my A-Levels so have a while to decide! Just curious about my options.

What degree are you doing? And the OU seems really good! I will definitely consider that option. Are u studying full-time or part-time?

That's cool which A-levels are you doing? Yeah a degree requires effort whether you do it through OU or a brick uni so might as well do what works best for you.

Those are interesting courses, Have a look at the moodules offered on each course and see what interests you the most. And if you still can't decide the OU offers Access courses, that explires different disciplines, although the psychology access course is seperate from the business & law access course.

I applied for BSc Computing and decided to study part-time to ease myself back into studying. It's only been a year but I need to refresh my study skills lol
Reply 4
That's cool which A-levels are you doing? Yeah a degree requires effort whether you do it through OU or a brick uni so might as well do what works best for you.

Those are interesting courses, Have a look at the moodules offered on each course and see what interests you the most. And if you still can't decide the OU offers Access courses, that explires different disciplines, although the psychology access course is seperate from the business & law access course.

I applied for BSc Computing and decided to study part-time to ease myself back into studying. It's only been a year but I need to refresh my study skills lol

I’m doing RS, psychology and sociology! What A-Levels did you study?

I like the courses especially Psychology but psychology can’t take me anywhere nor can Business. I do like working with people - I work with customer service and I absolutely love talking to people so perhaps I could teach Psychology do you think? Law is also very interesting and there are lots of sectors in Law to choose from. However, Law is very very competitive and I don’t think it would work. I will definitely look their access if I cannot decide!

That’s lovely! Your course sounds really interesting. Do you think the OU is a better choice than a brick one? I just feel like some people (like myself) wouldn’t like the brick unis and with the OU it seems really flexible because you can work alongside. It’s good that you went for part-time as full-time is definitely hard especially when self-studying/teaching the content I'd imagine. How many hours of studying a week donyou do?
I’m doing RS, psychology and sociology! What A-Levels did you study?

I like the courses especially Psychology but psychology can’t take me anywhere nor can Business. I do like working with people - I work with customer service and I absolutely love talking to people so perhaps I could teach Psychology do you think? Law is also very interesting and there are lots of sectors in Law to choose from. However, Law is very very competitive and I don’t think it would work. I will definitely look their access if I cannot decide!

That’s lovely! Your course sounds really interesting. Do you think the OU is a better choice than a brick one? I just feel like some people (like myself) wouldn’t like the brick unis and with the OU it seems really flexible because you can work alongside. It’s good that you went for part-time as full-time is definitely hard especially when self-studying/teaching the content I'd imagine. How many hours of studying a week donyou do?

I did a level 3 diploma in IT alongside A-level business

I think you have to be very passionate go into teaching tbh. Maybe have a look at the social sciences degrees as well to see if they interest you?

The OU is really good in terms of the flexibility offered and slightly lower tuition fees too, altough you don't get maintenance loan like at a brick uni. If you live at home though you won't really need to. You can also work part-time as well.

I recommended hours for part-time is 18 hours per week but that may be less or more depending on your ability and the amount of work you have. My modules officially start this Saturday (7th October) but I've been given access to my assignments early so have already made a head start

Quick Reply

Latest