The Student Room Group

Help me choose my 3rd A level

I am predicted to achieve all 8s and 9s at GCSE and am going to sixth form in September. I aspire to pursue a law degree, hopefully at a respected university.
I have chosen history and law A level as my first two options . I have seen many people say that law a level is not necessary for a degree but I need it so that I can experience the subject and make sure that I am passionate about it and actually want to study it at degree level.
For my 3rd option I am stuck between politics, sociology or criminology. Due to the small size of my sixth form, I can only do either politics or sociology, I cannot do both. However, I can do criminology as a fourth option.
So, please offer me some guidance on which subject would be best for my future ambitions and whether or not I should pursue criminology as a fourth option. Also, would doing 4 subjects be better than doing 3 and an epq?
Original post by Xrffyuhstyhbf
I am predicted to achieve all 8s and 9s at GCSE and am going to sixth form in September. I aspire to pursue a law degree, hopefully at a respected university.
I have chosen history and law A level as my first two options . I have seen many people say that law a level is not necessary for a degree but I need it so that I can experience the subject and make sure that I am passionate about it and actually want to study it at degree level.
For my 3rd option I am stuck between politics, sociology or criminology. Due to the small size of my sixth form, I can only do either politics or sociology, I cannot do both. However, I can do criminology as a fourth option.
So, please offer me some guidance on which subject would be best for my future ambitions and whether or not I should pursue criminology as a fourth option. Also, would doing 4 subjects be better than doing 3 and an epq?

dont do 4 subjects
Reply 2
Original post by billawarra
dont do 4 subjects

i'd say do 4 if you think you can handle it and still excel/get good grades. just do what you enjoy the most as that's what you'll be most likely to work hard in and therefore do better in. it's definitely better to do 3 subjects (+ epq) and do well in all of them rather than do 4 and do worse.
Reply 3

i'd lean more towards sociology/criminology if i was in your position as i think it links more into a career into law - plus they sound really interesting too, esp criminology (wish my school offered that!). politics is often not really required for any uni courses, imo it's just useful if you want a career in politics and the skills are pretty similar to history as they're both essay based subjects i believe but if you're most interested in politics i'd say take that as your fourth if you want to.
best of luck!

Dont take 4 subjects. Universities make offers based on 3 so you dont need and there is a possibility that taking 4 will mean you spread the load too thinly and end up missing your offer. AAA is always better than BBBB and you should be doing what you can to maximise your chances of achieving the highest grades.

I assume the criminology you are considering is the WJEC level 3. Do not take it if you are looking at the top universities. Some top universities do not accept it as an A level. Whether you decide on politics or sociology depends on which subject you prefer. It wont make any difference in you getting offers.

Quick Reply

Latest