The Student Room Group

Can someone help me understand the difference between these degrees

Hi I was wondering if someone could explain this to me. If I study business and choose economics as my modules does that count as me having a an economics degree as well as a business degree?
Also what is a named degree pathway?
Does a business with economics degree pathway count as having an economics degree?

What is the difference between a business degree with economics modules. And an named degree pathway of business with economics?

If I wanted to become an economist would I have to study a pure economics degree or can I go through a business degree route?

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Stephen! :smile:

Right, so if you study economics modules within your business degree, even extra elective modules, it remains a 'business' degree - if it's more 50:50 with economics and other business modules then you're effectively studying a business and economics 'joint', but only if that's the formal degree title (check what your UCAS course code gives you as title - this will be on your certificate!).

If you apply for a 'named pathway' then it may be something like a 'BA(Hons) Business Management (Economics)' which is classed as covering both general and specific aspects and, depending upon what the uni offers, you could either study this from the first year or transfer across later in the degree - at the university where I teach (I'm a business lecturer) our students do two years on the generic business degree, and then can transfer to a pathway in HR, marketing, enterprise or economics for the final year, or stay on the generic route.

So, in practice, you may actually be studying similar modules on both/all options (!!) but again the deciding factor will be the 'name' of the degree you apply for and then are enrolled on, so do check. There may be options to transfer early or later though, so do ask.

Finally re: your career, it probably doesn't matter - I was involved in some research a few years ago and degree subject was actually quite a way down the list of what employers are looking for, well below the skills you develop. So you may well have just as much of a chance studying biology! :wink: BUT do check, particularly if you want to work for one of the 'big' economists as you may be up against candidates with a 'pure' economics degree and/or the company may insist on this - just give them a call, they won't mind honestly. But most employers should be fine with either, so go for what you enjoy - both in terms of course content and uni.

Hope this helps? Take care and good luck...Helen :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Edu-Eye

Right, so if you study economics modules within your business degree, even extra elective modules, it remains a 'business' degree - if it's more 50:50 with economics and other business modules then you're effectively studying a business and economics 'joint', but only if that's the formal degree title (check what your UCAS course code gives you as title - this will be on your certificate!).

If you apply for a 'named pathway' then it may be something like a 'BA(Hons) Business Management (Economics)' which is classed as covering both general and specific aspects and, depending upon what the uni offers, you could either study this from the first year or transfer across later in the degree - at the university where I teach (I'm a business lecturer) our students do two years on the generic business degree, and then can transfer to a pathway in HR, marketing, enterprise or economics for the final year, or stay on the generic route.

So, in practice, you may actually be studying similar modules on both/all options (!!) but again the deciding factor will be the 'name' of the degree you apply for and then are enrolled on, so do check. There may be options to transfer early or later though, so do ask.

Finally re: your career, it probably doesn't matter - I was involved in some research a few years ago and degree subject was actually quite a way down the list of what employers are looking for, well below the skills you develop. So you may well have just as much of a chance studying biology! :wink: BUT do check, particularly if you want to work for one of the 'big' economists as you may be up against candidates with a 'pure' economics degree and/or the company may insist on this - just give them a call, they won't mind honestly. But most employers should be fine with either, so go for what you enjoy - both in terms of course content and uni.

thanks a lot Helen. Much appreciated.
Reply 3
Original post by Edu-Eye

Which is preferred by lecturers like you? Should I go for pure Business or choose many Economics modules?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending