The Student Room Group

Mathematics Combinations

Hello Everyone This Is My First Post!!! I am an aspiring Chemist and Engineer. I would like to study Mathematics but my school is not running it because hardly anyone picked it. I will have to self teach. I would like to do Maths and Further Maths. I am thinking of doing Edexcel but will have to speak with the Exams Director. What are your recommendations for modules? My other A Level Options are Biology; Chemistry; Psychology; General Studies (Compulsory to AS). I have very good time management and i am willing to work very hard for Maths.
Original post by JosephSF
Hello Everyone This Is My First Post!!! I am an aspiring Chemist and Engineer. I would like to study Mathematics but my school is not running it because hardly anyone picked it. I will have to self teach. I would like to do Maths and Further Maths. I am thinking of doing Edexcel but will have to speak with the Exams Director. What are your recommendations for modules? My other A Level Options are Biology; Chemistry; Psychology; General Studies (Compulsory to AS). I have very good time management and i am willing to work very hard for Maths.

Welcome
You are going to have to do 12 units for the 2 A Levels.

C1-4
M1-3
S1-2
D1
FP1-2

There is one combo. I think regardless of degree choice a range of modules is good. D1 could go for S3 or M4 or D2 could come in for M3 as an example.
FP3 is also an option and (IMO) ideal for the more able mathematicians.
The exam board will jiggle things around to give you the highest grade.
You won't be able to do engineering without Physics regardless.

This is the combination I give to people:
C1-4
FP1-3
M1-3
S1-2
Reply 3
Original post by L'Evil Fish

C1-4
FP1-3
M1-3
S1-2

If someone's wanting to do engineering they'd be much better off switching S2 for M4. M4/M5 is where mechanics gets difficult and generally more representative of the kind of mechanics you do see doing a maths/physics/engineering degree.
Reply 4
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Welcome
You are going to have to do 12 units for the 2 A Levels.

C1-4
M1-3
S1-2
D1
FP1-2

There is one combo. I think regardless of degree choice a range of modules is good. D1 could go for S3 or M4 or D2 could come in for M3 as an example.
FP3 is also an option and (IMO) ideal for the more able mathematicians.
The exam board will jiggle things around to give you the highest grade.

C1-4
FP1-3
M1-3
S1-2

Thanks! What do you recommend I do in Year 12 then Year 13? L'Evil Fish It is an Open University BEng Honor Degree It says their are no formal requirements http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/q65.htm
Original post by Noble.
If someone's wanting to do engineering they'd be much better off switching S2 for M4. M4/M5 is where mechanics gets difficult and generally more representative of the kind of mechanics you do see doing a maths/physics/engineering degree.

Yeah, but then I don't see the point in having any stats if it's just S1, so I'd say do the full FP and M with no S or D.

I think M4/5 is for top top students, so I wouldn't go in faint heartedly. I agree though.

My combination is the one I give to all, but I'd adapt on degree.

Realistically, he won't get into engineering without physics, so I focused on chem, where the two stats would be nice to have.

Psychology or Biology or even Medicine I'd give more stats modules.

OP wants to do an Open University course... BEng...

Anyway, I'd recommend to you.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

With your self teaching. (of maths and f.maths)

I'd do...

C1-4
FP1-3
M1-3
S1-2

And you can learn some M4/5 extra, that's my opinion.
Reply 7
OP wants to do an Open University course... BEng...

Anyway, I'd recommend to you.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

With your self teaching. (of maths and f.maths)

I'd do...

C1-4
FP1-3
M1-3
S1-2

And you can learn some M4/5 extra, that's my opinion.

No one in the schools science department is qualified/teached up to A Level Physics (**** School)
No one in the schools science department is qualified/teached up to A Level Physics (**** School)

Can you just do two a levels and gen studies? And then do C1-4, FP1-3 and M1-5?
Reply 9
Can you just do two a levels and gen studies? And then do C1-4, FP1-3 and M1-5?

I am really set on the Psychology as i did it at GCSE and loved it, I know it is hardly relevant to my loved job but i need a sort of balance and Gen Studies is only to AS. Exams don't bother me i can cope with 12 exams
I am really set on the Psychology as i did it at GCSE and loved it, I know it is hardly relevant to my loved job but i need a sort of balance and Gen Studies is only to AS

Well then, if you must...

Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and General Studies AS.

C1-4, FP1, M1, S1

Them Chemistry, Biology (maybe Psych?) A2

FP1-3, M2-3, S2
Reply 11
Well then, if you must...

Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and General Studies AS.

C1-4, FP1, M1, S1

Them Chemistry, Biology (maybe Psych?) A2

FP1-3, M2-3, S2

Yah cool, I have to have Chemisty; Biology to A2 can hold out Psych because it is actually easy from my teachers view. Could I ad M2 to year 12 and do M4 in 13?
Yah cool, I have to have Chemisty; Biology to A2 can hold out Psych because it is actually easy from my teachers view. Could I ad M2 to year 12 and do M4 in 13?

Yeah, you could.
Reply 13
Yeah, you could.

Cool! Can you recommend any textbooks?
Cool! Can you recommend any textbooks?

You're Edexcel right? I think the books with the CDs are good generally...

I myself bought this huge further pure book for £30, only.to.find I can't learn properly from books :lol:
Reply 15
You're Edexcel right? I think the books with the CDs are good generally...

I myself bought this huge further pure book for £30, only.to.find I can't learn properly from books :lol:

Yah! Okay cool! I have someone in the family who is a mathematician so i can ask for help. Imagery Numbers are my fav!
Yah! Okay cool! I have someone in the family who is a mathematician so i can ask for help. Imagery Numbers are my fav!

You'll like you some De Moivre then :tongue:
Reply 17
You'll like you some De Moivre then :tongue:

Yah! My school is setting up the EPQ and i was thinking of using De Moivre and Structures around us ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest