The Student Room Group

Further Maths Modules

I want to do Physics at university, so I thought that doing mechanics modules for my further maths would be best. Speaking to professors at particular universities they said that doing all the mechanics modules will put me in a good position in particular the module about SHM (M5).

In January I didn't do exceptionally well in Maths as I focused more on my science subjects, but I got:
C1: 72 (B)
D1: 85 (A)
S1: 77 (B)

Although, after working on all of them for the summer exams, I think I did better in C1 for definite and I think I scored around the 90s for C2. Also in M1, I've been constantly getting high marks in the past papers and I got full marks in my mock. So from this do you think I could be able to self-teach M4/M5?

I'm on the AQA syllabus for Further Maths and Maths and my current selection is:
AS: (Done)
C1, C2
FP1
S1B, M1B, D1

A2:
C3, C4
FP3 (According to my teacher FP3 is easier than FP2)
M2, M3, M4, M5

As you can see, if I do all of the mechanics modules, I'll have one extra module. I was wondering whether it's worth the effort in doing the extra mechanics module. I can substitute it out for another module, if I did better in it.

Is there a lot of material I can use to self-teach M4/M5? I practically self-taught myself FP1, but only managed to do so because of the amount of support ready for it. Trying to look online for M4/M5 resources for my exam board, I couldn't find any apart from outdated books. I was wondering whether anyone who does AQA M4/M5 could give me any tips? Am I capable of even doing M4/M5? If not which would would you suggest I should do (M4 or M5). Which one would be more beneficial? Also what resources are there to help me with learning it?

Also if any other people from other exam boards know of the similarities between their exam boards modules with AQA I'd be happy if you could give some material for me to look at as well.

Scroll to see replies

If you've been accepted to do Physics at university, I'm sure you have the ability to do all the mechanics modules. The real question is whether or not you have the motivation/perseverance to self-teach.

No point doing an extra module imo. If you want to do them all before uni, do the extra one over the summer.
Reply 2
Original post by sohailkm96
I want to do Physics at university, so I thought that doing mechanics modules for my further maths would be best. Speaking to professors at particular universities they said that doing all the mechanics modules will put me in a good position in particular the module about SHM (M5).

In January I didn't do exceptionally well in Maths as I focused more on my science subjects, but I got:
C1: 72 (B)
D1: 85 (A)
S1: 77 (B)

Although, after working on all of them for the summer exams, I think I did better in C1 for definite and I think I scored around the 90s for C2. Also in M1, I've been constantly getting high marks in the past papers and I got full marks in my mock. So from this do you think I could be able to self-teach M4/M5?

I'm on the AQA syllabus for Further Maths and Maths and my current selection is:
AS: (Done)
C1, C2
FP1
S1B, M1B, D1

A2:
C3, C4
FP3 (According to my teacher FP3 is easier than FP2)
M2, M3, M4, M5

As you can see, if I do all of the mechanics modules, I'll have one extra module. I was wondering whether it's worth the effort in doing the extra mechanics module. I can substitute it out for another module, if I did better in it.

Is there a lot of material I can use to self-teach M4/M5? I practically self-taught myself FP1, but only managed to do so because of the amount of support ready for it. Trying to look online for M4/M5 resources for my exam board, I couldn't find any apart from outdated books. I was wondering whether anyone who does AQA M4/M5 could give me any tips? Am I capable of even doing M4/M5? If not which would would you suggest I should do (M4 or M5). Which one would be more beneficial? Also what resources are there to help me with learning it?

Also if any other people from other exam boards know of the similarities between their exam boards modules with AQA I'd be happy if you could give some material for me to look at as well.

Whilst mechanics is of relevance to physics, I think you may be dipping out on the pure side of things, things like complex numbers, De Moivre and hyperbolic functions will probably come up a lot at uni, but it's your choice :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by electriic_ink
If you've been accepted to do Physics at university, I'm sure you have the ability to do all the mechanics modules. The real question is whether or not you have the motivation/perseverance to self-teach.

No point doing an extra module imo. If you want to do them all before uni, do the extra one over the summer.

I haven't applied yet I'm going to be this coming September, are you saying I should just learn the content but not do the exam?

Original post by joostan
Whilst mechanics is of relevance to physics, I think you may be dipping out on the pure side of things, things like complex numbers, De Moivre and hyperbolic functions will probably come up a lot at uni, but it's your choice :smile:

I see what you mean, I heard there is a fair amount of pure stuff, although I do like it, I just enjoy mechanics a lot more and I do better in it than the pure, I could look over the stuff for the pure, but I don't think I'd do better in it exam-wise. Do you think I am capable of doing all the mechanics modules?
Reply 4

I see what you mean, I heard there is a fair amount of pure stuff, although I do like it, I just enjoy mechanics a lot more and I do better in it than the pure, I could look over the stuff for the pure, but I don't think I'd do better in it exam-wise. Do you think I am capable of doing all the mechanics modules?

I'm not really in any position to judge, looking at your module scores, I'm gonna come clean and say it doesn't look promising, but then again who am I to judge?
I've never met you, or seen you do a maths problem :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by joostan
I'm not really in any position to judge, looking at your module scores, I'm gonna come clean and say it doesn't look promising, but then again who am I to judge?
I've never met you, or seen you do a maths problem :redface:

I know my module scores don't look good, but I didn't put a large amount of effort into them compared to what I did in June, but if I put a lot of effort into self-teaching myself M4/M5 could I realistically do it and get a good grade in them?
Reply 6
I know my module scores don't look good, but I didn't put a large amount of effort into them compared to what I did in June, but if I put a lot of effort into self-teaching myself M4/M5 could I realistically do it and get a good grade in them?

As I said, I have no indication of your inherent ability.
If you work hard, then you'll probably get a decent grade. :smile:
That's pretty much how it works unless you're something really special :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by joostan
As I said, I have no indication of your inherent ability.
If you work hard, then you'll probably get a decent grade. :smile:
That's pretty much how it works unless you're something really special :tongue:

Ah okay, I see what you mean, have you yourself done equivalent to the AQA M4/M5. If so how did you find it?
Reply 8
There are two issues. First, you need to get into university. Second, you need to do well once you're there.

I don't teach AQA but, having looked at the specification, M3, M4 and M5 are not sequential and you are allowed to do any combination of these. You do not, therefore, need to do all three and end up with one module too many. If you did take all three and end up with a spare module, you could use it as a sort of insurance policy, as they'll take the best twelve to make your two A levels.

I think your primary focus should be getting high grades in your A levels. It would be nice, perhaps, to know about SHM before you arrive at university, but it's not strictly necessary. Since you can be offered a place to read Physics without even having done Further Maths, there will certainly be students whose knowledge is far less than yours and the course will have to take this into account. You won't be unduly penalised or be at a significant disadvantage if you don't do every mechanics module; indeed, very few people will have done so.
I haven't applied yet I'm going to be this coming September, are you saying I should just learn the content but not do the exam?

Yep.
Reply 10
Original post by profmatt
There are two issues. First, you need to get into university. Second, you need to do well once you're there.

I don't teach AQA but, having looked at the specification, M3, M4 and M5 are not sequential and you are allowed to do any combination of these. You do not, therefore, need to do all three and end up with one module too many. If you did take all three and end up with a spare module, you could use it as a sort of insurance policy, as they'll take the best twelve to make your two A levels.

I think your primary focus should be getting high grades in your A levels. It would be nice, perhaps, to know about SHM before you arrive at university, but it's not strictly necessary. Since you can be offered a place to read Physics without even having done Further Maths, there will certainly be students whose knowledge is far less than yours and the course will have to take this into account. You won't be unduly penalised or be at a significant disadvantage if you don't do every mechanics module; indeed, very few people will have done so.

I understand what you mean, I looked at the specification for the mechanics modules and I really liked everything you need to know in them, which is why I want to do all of them. I was just wondering whether it's worth the effort in doing all of them and if not what ones would be beneficial for me to do.
Original post by electriic_ink
Yep.

Ahhh okay, I might just do that.
If you are needing to self teach the FM then it certainly makes more sense to do the Ms rather than anything else

IMO the Ms are logical and the easiest to self teach ... I have only taught M1,2,3 but have had students who self taught 4 quite happily

Your teacher is correct about FP3 - it will be more beneficial to you as it is mainly focussed on Differential equations
Reply 12
Original post by TenOfThem
If you are needing to self teach the FM then it certainly makes more sense to do the Ms rather than anything elseIMO the Ms are logical and the easiest to self teach ... I have only taught M1,2,3 but have had students who self taught 4 quite happilyYour teacher is correct about FP3 - it will be more beneficial to you as it is mainly focussed on Differential equations
Yeah my teachers said that they teach : M1, 2, 3 , S1,2, D1 and FP1,3. If I wanted to do any other modules id have to self teach. Im not that keen on stats so I thought M4/5 would be best. What resources did your students use to self teach? I haven't done a lot of self teaching before and what I did for fp1 was repeated and taught properly by my teachers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah my teachers said that they teach : M1, 2, 3 , S1,2, D1 and FP1,3. If I wanted to do any other modules id have to self teach. Im not that keen on stats so I thought M4/5 would be best. What resources did your students use to self teach? I haven't done a lot of self teaching before and what I did for fp1 was repeated and taught properly by my teachers.

I had some old mechanics books lying around

Then I did support them a bit
Reply 14
if I were you I'd learn some of the pure stuff like in FP2 and maybe FP4 because its more useful than learning the mechanics ones (remember that mechanics is the application of the pure modules). once you have done those (they aren't too bad) then you're in a better position to choose one of the M modules based on your strengths from the Pure... for example if you are good at differential equations in FP4 then that would go well with SHM in M5 because SHM is basically differential equations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by LeeMrLee
if I were you I'd learn some of the pure stuff like in FP2 and maybe FP4 because its more useful than learning the mechanics ones (remember that mechanics is the application of the pure modules). once you have done those (they aren't too bad) then you're in a better position to choose one of the M modules based on your strengths from the Pure... for example if you are good at differential equations in FP4 then that would go well with SHM in M5 because SHM is basically differential equations

Posted from TSR Mobile

In AQA FP3 is based on differential equations, FP4 is mainly vectors and matrices, so I thought that's why my teacher said FP3 would be better. Although I think I may look at a few topics in FP2/FP4 as some of them do look pretty interesting. But I see what you mean, but if I do FP2 and FP4, I'll have 3 extra modules including M5...
Reply 16
In AQA FP3 is based on differential equations, FP4 is mainly vectors and matrices, so I thought that's why my teacher said FP3 would be better. Although I think I may look at a few topics in FP2/FP4 as some of them do look pretty interesting. But I see what you mean, but if I do FP2 and FP4, I'll have 3 extra modules including M5...

oh I thought my friend told me it was the other way round xD well all those pure things would be more useful to know before uni because they start from the beginning with the mechanics because not everyone does mechanics...the mechanics modules are basically optional at A level. if you do have three extra modules at A level then that gives you an extra AS in maths, so if you're willing to teach yourself all that then I suppose that's another option. IMO I don't think its too bad, but this is looking back in hindsight xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
oh I thought my friend told me it was the other way round xD well all those pure things would be more useful to know before uni because they start from the beginning with the mechanics because not everyone does mechanics...the mechanics modules are basically optional at A level. if you do have three extra modules at A level then that gives you an extra AS in maths, so if you're willing to teach yourself all that then I suppose that's another option. IMO I don't think its too bad, but this is looking back in hindsight xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I understand I need to know the pure things I just don't think I'm excellent at them cause I never see the application of them, which is why I like mechanics more. So I thought doing the mechanics modules would be better for me than doing the pure modules. I know 3 modules count for an AS, but an AS in what? AQA doesn't offer additional further, only further and normal maths. I would probably look at the other further pure modules but I don't think it's worth me taking an exam in them. Especially if I do terrible in them XD
Reply 18
Yeah, I understand I need to know the pure things I just don't think I'm excellent at them cause I never see the application of them, which is why I like mechanics more. So I thought doing the mechanics modules would be better for me than doing the pure modules. I know 3 modules count for an AS, but an AS in what? AQA doesn't offer additional further, only further and normal maths. I would probably look at the other further pure modules but I don't think it's worth me taking an exam in them. Especially if I do terrible in them XD

IMO the pure at a level is easier because you don't have to extract information from a context as much, it just tells you what to do and you crack on.

and that's weird, I expect though if you put in your PS that you did additional modules and did well blah blah then they would like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
x

Original post by TenOfThem
x

Original post by joostan
x

Hey guys, sorry for revisiting this post: but on my exams for maths and further maths, I got:

C1: 88/100 C2: 92/100 M1: 87/100 FP1: 100/100 D1: 85/100 S1:77/100

So I got As in both Maths and Further maths,

Given this new information do you think it's reachable for me to do all the mechanics ~ although my M1 isn't 90+ I'm not sure why because I thought the exam went really well, but I did get full UMS On FP1. Based on this information do you think it's worth me doing the extra mechanics module?

Quick Reply

Latest