The Student Room Group

Typical uni timetable?

Hi, just curious how many lectures/classes you have at uni per week. I'm gonna be studying religious studies if that gives some idea.
Original post by Robyn_13
Hi, just curious how many lectures/classes you have at uni per week. I'm gonna be studying religious studies if that gives some idea.
Hey there 😀

The specifics of a course timetable can vary depending on the university and the structure of the course, making it difficult to provide a definitive answer. I would suggest contacting your university through any available communication channel to inquire about it directly.

However, to offer you a general idea, contact teaching hours typically range between 10-15 hours per week, spread across 3 or 4 days.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Hi @Robyn_13

Following on from De Montfort University, it does depend on the university and stage/level of study.

I personally had 3 days per week where I was on campus during my first and second year. Now, in my third year, I am only in 2 days a week. My lectures are usually 3 hours long and I have 3 per week, so a total of 9 contact hours.

Hope this helps:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Hi @Robyn_13 ,

Like others have said, it varies from person to person!

Some courses have a lot of contact hours and some don't have as many. It also depends on the university that you go to as it offers a lot from University to University. I have 9 contact hours a week - 3 lectures which are an hour long each and 3 seminars which are 2 hours long each.

If you are doing religious studies, I'd imagine that you'd have around 10-15 contact hours per week, but this is just a guess as it isn't a practical course! However, as I said it varies a lot at each Uni so I wouldn't take my word for this.

My best advice would be to get in contact with your university and see if they can help you with this. It's unlikely they will be able to tell you specifically how many hours you will have until your timetable comes out which won't be until September time but they will be able to tell you roughly what hours people on your course have this year so it is worth contacting them!

It's also usually quite random what days you will be in - just because I only have 9 contact hours it doesn't mean it's only 2 days as it varies a lot what you have on each day. Last year I had something on every day even if it was just for an hour!

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Hi there

I am currently a third year law student. Right now my timetable consists of 8-9 hours per week, requiring me to be on campus for four days. However in second year, my timetable consisted of 12 to 13 hours per week, requiring me to be on campus for three days a week. This difference is mainly dependent on what modules you are taking, it will also depend on what you are studying. Timetable arrangements really differ for each student, some of my friends only have to be on campus for two days a week, whilst others will have to be on campus five days a week.

In some circumstances, you may be able to have your timetable rearranged, so that you can be on campus for less days if you want. However, you will likely need to have a legitimate excuse for this.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep
Hey,

To reiterate what everyone else has been saying, it does vary on an individual basis.

I study politics and was in university 4 days a week in my first year. In my second year, i was in 3-4 days a week. I'm now in my final year of university and am in university 2-3 days a week.

But once again, it truly does depend on how your modules stack up. For every module that I study, I have 2 hours a week (one lecture, one seminar),

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Iris - third year Politics student at City, University of London
Hi there,

The amount of lectures/seminars you have each week can depend on a few factors: Your course, your year and maybe even your university. But on average, it is 2-3 days per week whether that be on campus or online but science related courses like medicine or pharmacy tend to have more in person classes and are also in school more days a week than courses like business or law. Again, this depends on the university as well, but since covid hit, lectures are increasingly becoming online.
You can check the timetables of your uni to get an insight to how yours might be. Hope this helps!
Hello,

In my experience as a medical student, we usually had Monday and Tuesdays for our labs usually from 9 till about 3. Wednesday we had half days, as most of the students have afternoon activities with different societies. Thursday and Friday we would have lectures till about 5 pm.

In my clinical years, my schedule was divided as placement days, with one day off, and one day of teaching,

I hope this gives you a better idea of how they can be.

Good luck,
Haya - MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending