The Student Room Group

balancing subjects and extra curricular activities

when you are taking multiple GCSE's plus many extra curricular activities and sports how do you balance everything out?
Original post by Daphne_Blair
when you are taking multiple GCSE's plus many extra curricular activities and sports how do you balance everything out?

I think it all narrows down to your personal time management.
If, for example, you have one extra curricular activity every day for about an hour, you will probably have at the very least one hour per day to study. Maybe on weekends you will have more time. But I recommend making a mini to-do list, so writing down not only the subjects you have to study but also how you are going to study them. So maybe you need to go through past papers for geography or do practice questions for maths or review/make flashcards for chemistry, essentially you just need to be specific when writing the to-do list so it would make you feel like you don't have to do a LOT - as compared to just writing on a to-do list 'revise english'.

You also would need times dedicated to rest and relaxing, because of course it's not possible to always be studying and doing activities without rest. So maybe dedicate at least half an hour per day or at least two-three hours during the weekend for you to do your own things. On that note, it's also important to get good sleep, even if it can be difficult on a school day, try to prioritise your sleep during the weekends, as it really improves energy levels and mood when you feel well rested.

You can alternatively make a timetable, where you make a section for school and then your clubs + extra curriculars and then with the remaining time you have, you can plan what you need to do. Try to refrain from filling the timetable up to the maximum, because you still need times where you can have a break.

I hope my tips helped and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest