The Student Room Group

Uni Timetable

I just want to know what a “full time” course usually means?
I want to apply to Teesside but to pay rent I will need a job too. Can I have a part time job as well as a full time course? Even if I only worked like 2 days a week that would more than truly cover rent. Thanks
Original post by luciaetherrr
I want to apply to Teesside but to pay rent I will need a job too. Can I have a part time job as well as a full time course? Even if I only worked like 2 days a week that would more than truly cover rent. Thanks

Full time usually means at least 16 hours a week depending on the course. If it's something like medicine, dentistry etc. then those ones will have more hours.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to fit in a part time job. Personally, I've been able to fit in a p/t job mostly on weekends and sometimes evenings after 5pm (although this has changed since starting 3rd year). Many of my coursemates also have part time jobs or internships.

Also, from what I've heard a lot of university's are more understanding that due to cost of living more students need to work, so are kind of factoring this into the timetable (in mine there's usually at least 1 day a week where I'm not schedule anything and we can either fill it with study/work).

Have you checked to see if you're eligible for any university bursaries? :smile:

@luciaetherrr

Full time courses can vary, so my course is three days a week, but it's not 9-5 each day. One day it might be half a day, another day might be a full day etc. It tends to stay the same for the term, but things can change with a new module/at the start of a new term.

It might be an idea to contact the uni that your interested in and to ask how many days people on the course usually come in for and how many hours that looks like each day.

Work is expected to be done in between lectures and seminars, which is largely up to you when you do it, but it is important to make time to read ahead of lectures, to go over anything you were unclear about from the lecture/seminar and to do any work that might be given. You might have lots of "free time" for part-time work, but depending on the modules/subject you might need to use that time to study, revise, meet up with people in your class to complete a task etc etc..

A part-time job should be manageable but it does depend on the hours your employer wants you to work, the distance and your time management skills.

You could definitely give it a go for the first year, and if it was too much, you could choose to do less hours or stop in the second year.

It might also be an idea to try and work over the summer so that you are under less pressure during term-time.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

I've worked part-time during most of my degree. In addition, there is plenty of time between semesters where you can work more hours to save money to help cover rent during the semester. It's mostly just about learning how to manage your time and your money.

I hope this helps!

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hey!
It totally is subjective depending on your course, schedule, rent, wage and how many hours you want to work. As an international student in UK, we are only permitted to work 20 hours a week, where we earn roughly 800 pounds on minimum wage each month. But, University of Southampton recommends not more than 10-15 hours every week, to manage academic workload, in a general criteria. I believe these numbers would give you a good idea to analyze your personal situation.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hiya

It is very much possible to manage a full-time course alongside part-time work. The hours of a full-time course can really depend on the subject. I study law and my hours have been 6-10 per week whereas I know maths students have about 20 per week. Mine leaves me enough time to do about 15 hours of part-time work which can cover rent :smile:

-Himieka

Hi,
It can really vary dependent on what course you are studying. For instance, I'm studying geography and have about 10-15 contact hours each week so am able to have time for a part time jobs, but i know some degrees with more labs and practical's like medicine and computer science have a lot more contact hours so it might be more difficult. Weekend and evening jobs are usually good to go along side university study. Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi @luciaetherrr ,

It depends a lot on the course that you will be studying. For example, on my timetable for next semester, I have 3 days at uni and 2 days off. You also have weekends where you can do some shifts too. However,

As others have said, I would recommend seeing if you are eligible for any bursaries that your university offers. Most people don't realise how many things they offer bursaries for so it's worth a look even if you find you aren't eligible for any.

Trying to get a flexible job is good while at uni so that you can change if your course changes. Some courses don't have the same timetable every week so you might not always be guaranteed the same days off.

I hope this helps!
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending