The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Football and Economics ;)

Hi, I have chosen to study economics at soas and start my first year in september. Moving away from studying... Just wanted to know if Soas has a football team as I play weekly and want to continue the routine in uni.

also wanted to know how my course will be from fellow students? What shall i expect?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
nope to the first
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Ah thats a shame :frown: so no football at all?
Reply 3
Yes, they do. There is a 1st and 2nd team as far as I know, or was when I was there last year. They have historically been pretty good teams and play in the leagues against the bigger London colleges and other universities. There are usually trials during the first couple of weeks which will be advertised at Freshers' week.

You may also be interested to get involved with the Football Beyond Borders project which was started by some members of the SOAS team a couple of years back - http://www.footballbeyondborders.org

I studied a joint degree with Economics and enjoyed the course. In your first year you will take mostly introductory classes, in Economic Analysis, Quantitative Methods (depending on your Maths background) and perhaps some Development Economics. As you move through you will have choices about whether to take modules in more development themed economics, econometrics, some finance modules etc., depending on your interests. There is a 2nd/3rd year class called 'Banking and Finance in Economic Development' which I would strongly recommend.

Overall I would say the course is good, not too much work (you will still have plenty of time to play football) and has reasonably good career prospects if you willing to pursue internships/experience outside of university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Emkay1
Ah thats a shame :frown: so no football at all?

Yeah, totally ignore that guys comment, its as wrong as wrong gets. There are plenty of football and sports options at SOAS.

As has been answered above already, SOAS has both a firsts and seconds men's team. I have quite strong links to the team so I know this to be true. About them being very competitive however, that has kinda changed in recent years. A really talented batch came and left together. They are still okay though and if you are a decent player getting into the team is super easy since they are always looking to recruit.

In addition to competitive play, if you are interested in weekly casual play, we also have an indoor 5-aside group, usually alot of fun and attracts a good mix of players.

And finally, they do a 5-aside league in ULU next door to SOAS during the spring/summer term which is just another option available.
Reply 5
Great news!!! I really appreciate you getting back to me... And thanks again for the heads up. I will defo look out for the football team when i enrol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending