The Student Room Group

Should we boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
So gay rights is now an issue, but I didn't here Mr Fry complaining when the olympic were in Beijing.

I don't know if Stephen Fry commented at the time, but lots of people did call for a boycott at the time. I was disgusted by our participation, but then I also find the exploitation of helpless, poor Chinese workers by the big IT corporations in China to make vast profits disgusting.

The British Olympic Committee and Sebastian Coe have past form in kowtowing to wicked regimes - they tried to get British athletes to sign contracts agreeing not to talk to the media in a critical manner about their hosts at Beijing.
It's your hypocrisy I can't get. If the west intervenes into Middle East countries without democracy you're up in arms. Then all of a sudden you're after us imposing our views on another democracy.

Russians generally don't take too kindly with outsiders telling them what to do. Not especially when there's still an aawful lot of tensions between east and west. I'd much rather the gay community in Russia deal with this themselves.

It's the lack of democracy and corrupt reasons for intervention in the West that bother me, not intervention per se; I supported our intervention in Libya, but I didn't support Blair's servile arselicking of Gaddafi and the policy pursued by him and Jack Straw of encouraging MI6 to repatriate the dictator's enemies and their families to Libya so that they could be placed in his torture chambers. (Yes, Britain actually did that - not only that, but our security services participated in the torture sessions most likely.)

The gay community in Russia are encircled, just like the original liberation forces in Syria, with Russia arming their bloodthirsty tyrant Assad to the teeth to further brutalise them.

Any boycott would have to be approved by our democratic processes but that's precisely why Cameron shouldn't be issuing fatuous and servile evasions, especially against a background where Russia is rejecting all attempts to enter into dialogue with them about the above.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's the lack of democracy and corrupt reasons for intervention in the West that bother me, not intervention per se; I supported our intervention in Libya, but I didn't support Blair's servile arselicking of Gaddafi and the policy pursued by him and Jack Straw of encouraging MI6 to repatriate the dictator's enemies and their families to Libya so that they could be placed in his torture chambers. (Yes, Britain actually did that - not only that, but our security services participated in the torture sessions most likely.)

The gay community in Russia are encircled, just like the original liberation forces in Syria, with Russia arming their bloodthirsty tyrant Assad to the teeth to further brutalise them.

Any boycott would have to be approved by our democratic processes but that's precisely why Cameron shouldn't be issuing fatuous and servile evasions, especially against a background where Russia is rejecting all attempts to enter into dialogue with them about the above.

Any exscuse to have a dig at the Tories though. Gay communities are encircled in most nations. You seem tto forget that democracy isn't as common as you think. And the majority of that is due to our involvement in empire.

Russia's democracy may not be ideal, but its still one person one vote. Which means laws get passed by the people.
I love the little badge from that article!

Yes! I hope to be awarded one some day.
I don't know if Stephen Fry commented at the time, but lots of people did call for a boycott at the time. I was disgusted by our participation, but then I also find the exploitation of helpless, poor Chinese workers by the big IT corporations in China to make vast profits disgusting.

The British Olympic Committee and Sebastian Coe have past form in kowtowing to wicked regimes - they tried to get British athletes to sign contracts agreeing not to talk to the media in a critical manner about their hosts at Beijing.

Alienating big nations very arely works. Democratic sensibilities have to be nurtured from within.

You are aware those nasty corporations that exploit Chinese labour have increased standards of living in china substantially? Or do you think everywhere is like the Home Counties?
Original post by InnerTemple
Yes! I hope to be awarded one some day.

Well, you would be in the same category as Winston Churchill and Pablo Picasso, so yeah, worth having. :colondollar:
So gay rights is now an issue, but I didn't here Mr Fry complaining when the olympic were in Beijing.

China is actually making progress though, Russia is going backwards
Reply 27
I thought you don't like Stephen Fry :tongue:

In answer to the question (tbh, I struggle to answer it because I care so little about the Olympics), no, I don't think we should boycott it, I don't see that it would serve any useful purpose.
Alienating big nations very arely works. Democratic sensibilities have to be nurtured from within.

The problem is the regime. Attending jamborees run by oligarchical states to further boost the egos and corrupt rule of said states contributes nothing to nurturing democracy from within. Cameron's statement on it is exactly the same as the approach to Hitler was in the 30s by Baldwin, Chamberlain, etc.

I won't be watching the Sochi Olympics on TV, which is a shame, as I like skiing and other winter sports.
Prevent the Russian athletes from competing in their own Winter Olympics. This will shame them and put a huge amount of pressure on the Kremlin.
Reply 30
The problem is the regime.

But when that regime reflects the will of the people, what then?
HaHa the sheer arrogance of the op .
By your logic we shouldn't have had london 2012 olympics because england and co like to drop bombs in afghanistan on INNOCENT people .
Do me a favour
I can't help but think that if it were laws against black people then nations like Britain and the US would pull out full stop. Are gay people worth less?
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
HaHa the sheer arrogance of the op .
By your logic we shouldn't have had london 2012 olympics because england and co like to drop bombs in afghanistan on INNOCENT people .
Do me a favour

UK. Not England.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
I can't help but think that if it were laws against black people then nations like Britain and the US would pull out full stop. Are gay people worth less?

Apparently, yes. This law effectively bans gay people from gathering in public, which if were aimed at black people, would cause leaders around the world to condemn it.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter

Of course not. But Russia isn't some small state like South Africa. And Russia has a democracy.

Tell me. Do you get mixed up about our involvemt in Afghanistan? We're improving the lives of women there.
Reply 36
I don't know because although it is a very bad and homophobic and damaging law, there are other countries doing so much worse to gay people. I highly doubt it will be boycotted, as there are very few countries in the world who even allow gay marriage, there are few who would think it would be worth it. the uk only just legalised gay marriage, they're just not going to pull out. something should be done but boycotting only works if it's the majority.
Reply 37
Original post by Blue Meltwater
A mass boycott would send a clear signal that we disapprove of their rights record, whereas to quietly participate suggests we either condone it or don't care.

What makes us pristine and sacred that gives us the rights to be holier than though giving us the clout to decide what's right or wrong?
Original post by 419
What makes us pristine and sacred that gives us the rights to be holier than though giving us the clout to decide what's right or wrong?

Not everything is relative and a matter of local culture. Human rights are human rights - even Russia is the signatory to many international agreements in these areas.
Original post by 419

So if you've been in trouble with the law in the past you can't condemn crimes you read about in the press like this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending