The Student Room Group

Should we boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia?

Scroll to see replies

I dont think we should boycott these olympics, as far as i know its not a crime to be gay in Russia so why should they be boycotted.

Adding to this, what the hell does boycotting them achieve, an annoyed population that has to wait another 4 years?

The world cup is in Qatar in 2022, homosexual acts between men are illegal in Qatar, no one is screaming to boycott them.

Hypocrisy at its best from Fry and Co. If you ask me.
(edited 10 years ago)
The thing I like least about this whole debacle is the inevitable comparison to Nazi Germany. Yes, there are issues in Russia. However, it is quite a leap to suggest that the situation is somehow akin to the Munich Olympics. I'll happily retract this statement if, in two or three years, Putin starts rounding up homosexuals into internment camps and summarily executing them. But until then, it is frankly ludicrous to compare the two.

Anyway, sport and politics should be kept as separate as possible. There are few occasions on which they should mix, and I am not convinced that this is one of them. In any case, as other people have said, the attitude towards homosexuality is as much a popular one as official. Boycotting Sochi is highly unlikely to change that.

Oh, just as a final note, what about Jesse Owens in '36? Who knows, perhaps there's a successful gay athlete waiting in the wings to emulate his feat!
Reply 42
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not everything is relative and a matter of local culture. Human rights are human rights - even Russia is the signatory to many international agreements in these areas.

Agree. But didn't like the phrasing of the post and I wasn't referring to this specific issue but mainly to many people displaying a supercilious attitude as they believe the Western is perfect and has thus possess the right to dictate to everyone else how they should behave. No one has that right.

Original post by Hannibal Lecter
So if you've been in trouble with the law in the past you can't condemn crimes you read about in the press like this?

What a way to gloriously fail at understanding my post.
Reply 43
The options given in the poll make it impossible for me to answer. As, of course, is the case with most of FoS's polls.
Reply 44
Original post by Apocrypha
The world cup is in Qatar in 2022, homosexual acts between men are illegal in Qatar, no one is screaming to boycott them.

Yes they are. The Qatar World Cup is hugely controversial and people are calling for it to be moved country for various reasons, including Qatar's stance on homosexuality.
Original post by pane123
Yes they are. The Qatar World Cup is hugely controversial and people are calling for it to be moved country for various reasons, including Qatar's stance on homosexuality.

Moved where? To another country in the region? Hmmm, Oh wait.. Theyre all backward when it comes to gay rights.

The calls mean nothing, they wouldve been taken into account when the decision to hold it there was made, it clearly didn't have a decision changing effect.
Reply 46
Moved where? To another country in the region? Hmmm, Oh wait.. Theyre all backward when it comes to gay rights.

The calls mean nothing, they wouldve been taken into account when the decision to hold it there was made, it clearly didn't have a decision changing effect.

No, if it were to be moved it would not be to another Arab country.

The calls may or may not mean nothing, but they exist.
Original post by pane123
The options given in the poll make it impossible for me to answer. As, of course, is the case with most of FoS's polls.

That's not quite fair - I've been pretty even handed in past polls - I will admit to having mildly tilted this one, but it was partly an effort to be amusing and partly motivated by a very considerable dislike of the way Cameron is approaching it.
Original post by 419
What a way to gloriously fail at understanding my post.

How is my analogy invalid?
That's not quite fair - I've been pretty even handed in past polls - I will admit to having mildly tilted this one, but it was partly an effort to be amusing and partly motivated by a very considerable dislike of the way Cameron is approaching it.

You haven't. You have an opinion and an agenda and try not to deviate from either.
Original post by MatureStudent36
You haven't. You have an opinion and an agenda and try not to deviate from either.

I was talking about polls - not about my views, which are there to agree or disagree with.

The biggest poll I did in terms of numbers of votes was this one on the Eastleigh by-election. It's hardly a distorted set of options.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2268456
Reply 51

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but any poll of yours that I have seen always tilts the question so that it's pretty obvious what you deem to be the correct answer.

It totally defeats the purpose of having a poll in the first place, not to mention that it is quite irritating. I entered this thread with genuine interest, only to have your views shoved in my face - yet again.

It would be slightly more bearable if you weren't so dismissive of those who do not share you opinion.

Having Cameron instantaneously boycott the olympics after Stephen Fry (Whom i recall you arent the greatest admirer of xD) sends him a letter isnt saying much to the legitimacy of Government is it?
Original post by pane123

It would be slightly more bearable if you weren't so dismissive of those who do not share you opinion.

See my post above. I'm sorry you find me dismissive, I just debate things giving my ideas in a debating style, I guess sometimes I go a little overboard, but so do a lot of people around this forum. :rolleyes:

FIFA didnt take much of anything into account, they had blatantly decided before hand that Qatar would host a World Cup no matter what, the entire process was a farce, it was a corrupt decision and bribery was clearly involved.
Reply 55
See my post above. I'm sorry you find me dismissive, I just debate things giving my ideas in a debating style, I guess sometimes I go a little overboard, but so do a lot of people around this forum. :rolleyes:

Like you, I am talking about your polls. What is the point of this poll? Unless I agree with option 1 there is nothing I can vote for.

Why not make the options 'yes', 'no' and 'don't know'? You should not attach the reason for the answer.
Original post by pol pot noodles
FIFA didnt take much of anything into account, they had blatantly decided before hand that Qatar would host a World Cup no matter what, the entire process was a farce, it was a corrupt decision and bribery was clearly involved.

Well definitely, the whole thing just reminded me of a Eurovision song contest.
Having Cameron instantaneously boycott the olympics after Stephen Fry (Whom i recall you arent the greatest admirer of xD) sends him a letter isnt saying much to the legitimacy of Government is it?

I guess that's the point of my thread - if most people (and it's looking that way) support the line Fry is taking, maybe the government should be more responsive. I think Cameron has had a quick chat with the Ozzie guy who dictates current government policy (someone by the name of Crosby apparently), Ozzie guy has said something like "nah, don't involve yourself Dave, nobody much likes poofs anyway" or words to that effect and - wowza - Conservative policy is announced!

Or, to put it in a more polite and less dismissive way, Cameron raised Coe on the blower - Coe said there isn't a rats chance in hell that the British olympic team will boycott it - they always take a 'non-political' stance - eg, they ignore human rights - and Cameron has done his best with it. Also of course Hague is on Line 2 yelling that the Russians are already upset enough, etc.
Reply 58
So my options are:

Supporting Vladmir Putin, a person who has demonised and victimised his own people, pushing them into poverty
or
Supporting David Cameron, a person who has demonised and victimised his own people, pushing them into poverty

Well that's just great.
Original post by pane123
Like you, I am talking about your polls. What is the point of this poll? Unless I agree with option 1 there is nothing I can vote for.

Why not make the options 'yes', 'no' and 'don't know'? You should not attach the reason for the answer.

You know, I thought of doing that - but it was just too damn tempting to editorialise a little! :biggrin:

You can always run your own! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending