The Student Room Group

Should we boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apocrypha
I dont think we should boycott these olympics, as far as i know its not a crime to be gay in Russia so why should they be boycotted.

Adding to this, what the hell does boycotting them achieve, an annoyed population that has to wait another 4 years?

The world cup is in Qatar in 2022, homosexual acts between men are illegal in Qatar, no one is screaming to boycott them.

Hypocrisy at its best from Fry and Co. If you ask me.

I agree, all the fuss over this yet we've heard next to nothing about Qatar, which is much worse. All the detail and intricacy that goes into these bids, stadiums, hotels, transport systems and so on... At no point did anyone turn round and say "hang on it might just be too hot to play football in the desert in June."

A country with just two existing stadiums won the World Cup bid. What a farce. It is being played in summer in 50+ degree heat (there is talk of building 10 new air conditioned stadiums :biggrin: but that isn't a definite yet, either that or they are actually going to stop the world's football leagues and move the tournament to the winter :rolleyes:). Imagine the **** storm if a player collapses and dies out there? The fans are going to absolutely ****ing melt outside the stadiums, the Qataris themselves move out in the summer to cooler climates, you can't actually be outside in daytime in the summer there. There's talk of fans having to fly in from Dubai for every game :biggrin:.

And what if a player is out as gay by then, is he going to be deported or executed? Not only is it a backwards country it's just stupid on every level. There is no reason for it to go there, nobody will gain anything from having a World Cup in Qatar. It's such a blatant bribe to get it there, and yet **** all is being done about it.

Btw the other bidders included England and Australia. And 2018 went to Russia :rolleyes:.

If you're pissed off about this, I suggest you take a look at the World Cups.
Original post by Zürich
Gay people really do have alot of influence dont they?

Why not boycott the 2008 games in China? Would we boycott games in Egypt for their persecution of Christians? Turkey for clamping down on protesters? Saudi Arabia where homosexuality can lead to the death penalty?

Gay people in Russia arent being rounded up and put into camps FFS, Russians just dont accept public displays of homosexuality and dont accept it being promoted in schools. Putin is not bringing these measures in against the peoples wishes, they are popular. Russia is not Islington, it has its own traditions and concept of decency and we are not to interfere in that. And if eventually Russians decide to change, fair enough but lets not have this obnoxious liberal mafia running around the world shrieking at what it perceives to be wrong.

Best comment on this thread. If you do one you must do all the others or it is hypocrisy.
Original post by 419
Another new born activist regurgitating nonsense bespoken in the media :rolleyes:

What's your opinion about hosting the world cup in the summer- at a time where it disrupts loads of football leagues around the world..........

I wouldn't consider myself an activist. And yes, maybe I did form my opinion after reading about the topic in the news. But I read a wide variety of sources. I don't have the views that I do from listening to what my parents say, or from just one specific website or paper like so many others do.
So my views are rubbish and your opinion is the only correct one? Spare me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
It has always been my view that a person should stand up for what they think is right, regardless of the effectiveness of the stance. I disagree with what is happening in Russia and so I support a boycott.
Reply 144
Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree, all the fuss over this yet we've heard next to nothing about Qatar, which is much worse. All the detail and intricacy that goes into these bids, stadiums, hotels, transport systems and so on... At no point did anyone turn round and say "hang on it might just be too hot to play football in the desert in June."

A country with just two existing stadiums won the World Cup bid. What a farce. It is being played in summer in 50+ degree heat (there is talk of building 10 new air conditioned stadiums :biggrin: but that isn't a definite yet, either that or they are actually going to stop the world's football leagues and move the tournament to the winter :rolleyes:). Imagine the **** storm if a player collapses and dies out there? The fans are going to absolutely ****ing melt outside the stadiums, the Qataris themselves move out in the summer to cooler climates, you can't actually be outside in daytime in the summer there. There's talk of fans having to fly in from Dubai for every game :biggrin:.

And what if a player is out as gay by then, is he going to be deported or executed? Not only is it a backwards country it's just stupid on every level. There is no reason for it to go there, nobody will gain anything from having a World Cup in Qatar. It's such a blatant bribe to get it there, and yet **** all is being done about it.

Btw the other bidders included England and Australia. And 2018 went to Russia :rolleyes:.

If you're pissed off about this, I suggest you take a look at the World Cups.

Actually there was a lot of screaming and shouting about Qatar hosting the world cup, although that all kicked off when it was announced. That media ****storm went on for months. Slightly different problem though, since the Qatar issue basically boils down to FIFA being massively corrupt, and football being more like a business than a sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People seem to have forgotten about the World Championships taking place in Moscow at the moment...
Reply 146
Original post by Zürich
Gay people really do have alot of influence dont they?

Why not boycott the 2008 games in China? Would we boycott games in Egypt for their persecution of Christians? Turkey for clamping down on protesters? Saudi Arabia where homosexuality can lead to the death penalty?

Gay people in Russia arent being rounded up and put into camps FFS, Russians just dont accept public displays of homosexuality and dont accept it being promoted in schools. Putin is not bringing these measures in against the peoples wishes, they are popular. Russia is not Islington, it has its own traditions and concept of decency and we are not to interfere in that. And if eventually Russians decide to change, fair enough but lets not have this obnoxious liberal mafia running around the world shrieking at what it perceives to be wrong.

This.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending