The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Yes, the revision for the section A part isn't really necessary because we don't know what subject it will be on and the "answers" are provided in the resource booklet! However, I'm looking through my human and physical notes because marks are awarded for bringing in other parts of the syllabus to section A answers (top tip!)

Section B, we have only been taught 2 themes out of 4 and I'm revising some case studies for wilderness areas and hazards.

Best of luck to everyone doing this exam!
Anthony

P.S. How did everyone find the physical systems exam today (Tues), I did questions 2 and 4, it wasn't too bad! (sorry for diverting the thread away from the original topic!, lol!)
Lots of case studies i think is what i'm going to do. Reading over practice ones and doing spider diagrams of what you would write in the essay.
You can sort of practice the technique for the first 50 marks. Putting in lots of data from the information and saying where you've taken it from. Reading over the markschemes might help too because for the synoptic paper they're quite detailed, unlike units 4 & 5.

Edit: haha posted just before me.
I did 1 and 4. Thought it wasn't too bad although i didn't actually name any glaciers :frown:
Reply 3
I'm just going to read through some case studies from phys and human... and look at the synoptic bits in the text book.

I did 3 and 6 today if I remember correctly -- periglaciation and soils
Reply 4
If you've got the philip allan textbook, it tell you the different themes and the case studies for each! It's really good! I'm going to be using that.

ps- I did question 4 and 5 - I was so lucky, I did a practice of the essay in question 5 last night!:eek: (slightly different with the command words though)
Reply 5
im going to look at the synoptic links and in the syllabus and just learn case studies. what i dont like about synoptic is that for the first few questions they seem to give you the answers so it all seems a bit too simple that it becomes hard if you see what i mean!
Reply 6
hey guys I'm self-studying and I'm pretty lost right now.. can anyone suggest some combinations for me to work on? thanksss
Reply 7
I've been revising hazards- atmospheric, tectonic and hydrological and also looking at human impacts on the the atmosphere, rivers, coasts. I'm also going to think about the effect of environmental areas on humans mainly glacial/periglacial areas and then maybe of tourism on environmental areas. Hope that helps a bit Stevoz. I'm so worried about this paper, I think it might ruin my chances of getting an A. Our teacher is really rubbish when it comes to synoptic, do people think that would be enough to know to allow me to at least answer one of the essay questions?

ps Anthony5 mentioned that there are 4 themes, could anyone tell me them, as I say our teacher is rubbish with synoptic
Reply 8
yeah the 4 themes are:

-physical environmets influence human activity
-human activities modify physical environemnts
-physical nad human resources may be exploited, managed and protected
-communities and their governence influence geographical interrelationships at a ranger of scales.

im not sure if this really helps you though. look at the synpotic links at the end of each of the topics...they might be of more use :smile:

im worried about this exam too. i need an A for uni...and i think i might have screwed up my Human geog exam:frown:
Reply 9
Hmmm I have history on monday morning - that's more important than geog :P I'm just gonna look at the synoptic stuff at the back of the chapters in the Edexcel book & I already know stuff from physical and human so it should be alright....
I know the infomation is provided in the resource but I'm more worried about Section A than the actual essay, it seems really horrible and I'm really pushed for time when it comes to this
Do you think it would be ok to just revise for synoptic themes 1 and 2? I prefer them to the theme 4 which our human geog. teacher focuses on. 1 and 2 seem easier and more interesting too.
Reply 12
wow one. that's really..specialized. which one?

Does anybody have case studies to share? I've just got this book by Andy Palmer (anybody using this book?) and they don't have much of those in the sypnotic sections.. =(
hiiya,
im just revising case studies for hazards and modifications/impact of human activity on the natural environment.
i have quite a few case studies and always one from an LEDC and MEDC so a volcanic eruption-mount st helenas and mt pinatubo.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :s-smilie:

ps. i did questions 2 and 6 on tuesday.
Reply 14
heyy again =) a few questions:

a) is it risky for me to just study theme 2? like do they have a question for each themes every year?

b) anybody on TSR studying for that theme? should i be studying case studies like aswan high / hoover dam, arguements for global warming, ecotourism, that sort of thing? advice sorely needed cuz I really am pretty much lost =(

p.s. can anybody please share case studies with me or at least give me names so i can try locating them in the very cofusing geo-file? thanks a lotttt
Hey I'm revising theme 2 (as well as 1) and was just thinking about looking at effect of rapid industrialisation on the atmosphere (global warming) as well as river and land pollution. For that I reckon referring to the developing world in general and then China as a kind of extended case study.

I know that there could be a lot more but I'm sort of preparing this as back-up in case I don't like the theme 1 question
Reply 16
hi stevoz - I'm revising theme 2 only, it is a bit risky but if ur like me and don't have time its fine, my teacher told us to learn one anyway. For the topics, all the topics u mentioned are fine, but also include river and coastal management, soil erosion and effects of rapid urbanisation/industry. For the case study, have one for an MEDC and LEDC if possible so you can contrast the extent of impact on the environment.
Reply 17
I dont really know how to revise for this exam, its so hard, cos you dont know what is going to come up and you ahev to use the information from the booklet.I have the Phillip Allan books, but you cant literally go through every piece of each unit.I got some papers so Ill look through those.But how are people revising for this.
I'm going to go through each sub-category for my chosen theme (1) and look at past questions for that theme, linking them to my notes and the edexcel revision book and those smaller student unit guides.
Reply 19
Any chace of anyone posting some past Qs? I've got some but I'm not sure what years from.

Latest

Trending

Trending