to: a/1-a C2/C1

help :frown:
Original post by Deadsea
How do I get from:

a(C2/C1)^1-a/(1-a)(C1/C2)^a

to: a/1-a C2/C1

help :frown:

So you have:

a(C2C1)1a(1a)(C1C2)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a}}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\right)^a}

Multiply top and bottom by (C2/C1)^a, i.e. the inverse of the 2nd fraction in the denominator.

and the rest should be trivial.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
So you have:

a(C2C1)1a(1a)(C1C2)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a}}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\right)^a}

Multiply top and bottom by (C2/C1)^a, i.e. the inverse of the 2nd fraction in the denominator.

and the rest should be trivial.

Thanks but I'm still slightly confused, could you show me in steps? Thanks in advance for your time and help
Reply 3
Also, if could anyone give me any useful websites or anything as to how I could make improvements on these types of questions i.e. inverses/fractions? When it comes to more advanced maths like calculus I don't have as much of a problem, questions like these I always struggle with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't normally do fully worked solutions, but I think that might be the best thing for you in this case.

You do need to familariise yourself with the rules for manipulating indices. Write them down separately and make sure you understand them all.

From a(C2C1)1a(1a)(C1C2)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a}}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\right)^a}

Multiplying top and bottom by (C2/C1)^a.

a(C2C1)1a(C2C1)a(1a)(C1C2)a(C2C1)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a}\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^a}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\right)^a \left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^a}

We can then add the indices on the top, since what's in the two brackets is the same.

And we can combine the two brackets on the right in the denominator as they are to the same power.

a(C2C1)1a+a(1a)(C1C2×C2C1)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a+a}}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\times\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^a}

We then simplify:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1}}{(1-a)\left(1)}^a}

And that gives

a1aC2C1\displaystyle\frac{a}{1-a}\frac{C2}{C1}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ghostwalker
I don't normally do fully worked solutions, but I think that might be the best thing for you in this case.

You do need to familariise yourself with the rules for manipulating indices. Write them down separately and make sure you understand them all.

From a(C2C1)1a(1a)(C1C2)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a}}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\right)^a}

Multiplying top and bottom by (C2/C1)^a.

a(C2C1)1a(C2C1)a(1a)(C1C2)a(C2C1)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a}\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^a}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\right)^a \left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^a}

We can then add the indices on the top, since what's in the two brackets is the same.

And we can combine the two brackets on the right in the denominator as they are to the same power.

a(C2C1)1a+a(1a)(C1C2×C2C1)a\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1-a+a}}{(1-a)\left(\frac{C1}{C2}\times\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^a}

We then simplify:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\frac{a\left(\frac{C2}{C1}\right)^{1}}{(1-a)\left(1)}^a}

And that gives

a1aC2C1\displaystyle\frac{a}{1-a}\frac{C2}{C1}

Thank you so much! +rep
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest