The Student Room Group

studying architecure at leeds becket or nottingham trent

I am torn on which uni to go to. In terms of sociability and the quality of the course and facilities. Any advice?
Reply 1
Can't speak for social life as I don't know much about either city, but purely looking at the RIBA reports on each course:
Nottingham Trent
Leeds Beckett

Leeds Beckett pros/cons: (according to the report)
++ crossdisciplinary working (arch students can collaborate with planning, landscape, project management students in their final year project, really good to have this experience under your belt when applying for jobs)
++ live project experience as the university has its own architecture practice called the Project Office
++ high employment rate for graduates
++ good pastoral care
-- doesnt place enough emphasis on sustainability/climate emergency in its curriculum according to report (sustainable design is a valuable skillset to have these days in terms of employability). degree show article however seems to indicate this is improving
-- issues with accessibility of facilities such as workshops/printing

Nottingham Trent pros/cons:
++ good pastoral care
++ emphasis on themes relevant to contemporary practice (sustainability, retrofit etc) and developing employability in students
++ very good facilities with technical workshops and support for modelmaking etc. and developing students' software skills
-- course seems very practical and not necessarily that 'artsy' or speculative. Could be a good or bad thing depending on your personal tastes
-- very slightly lower (but still very good) graduate employment rate

Looking at student work is also a good indicator of the kind of project themes and skills you'll be encouraged to develop on the courses:
NTU 2021 degree work
couldn't find a proper link but here's an Architects' Journal article about Leeds Beckett degree work

Lastly for what it's worth I used to work with a guy who went to NTU for architectural technology, intimidatingly knowledgeable and really good with software, which would seem to indicate that the course there is good at prepping you for life after uni. (Leeds Beckett may well be the same, I just don't know anyone that went there lol)

hope this helps
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pedr0
Can't speak for social life as I don't know much about either city, but purely looking at the RIBA reports on each course:
Nottingham Trent
Leeds Beckett
Leeds Beckett pros/cons: (according to the report)
++ crossdisciplinary working (arch students can collaborate with planning, landscape, project management students in their final year project, really good to have this experience under your belt when applying for jobs)
++ live project experience as the university has its own architecture practice called the Project Office
++ high employment rate for graduates
++ good pastoral care
-- doesnt place enough emphasis on sustainability/climate emergency in its curriculum according to report (sustainable design is a valuable skillset to have these days in terms of employability). degree show article however seems to indicate this is improving
-- issues with accessibility of facilities such as workshops/printing
Nottingham Trent pros/cons:
++ good pastoral care
++ emphasis on themes relevant to contemporary practice (sustainability, retrofit etc) and developing employability in students
++ very good facilities with technical workshops and support for modelmaking etc. and developing students' software skills
-- course seems very practical and not necessarily that 'artsy' or speculative. Could be a good or bad thing depending on your personal tastes
-- very slightly lower (but still very good) graduate employment rate
Looking at student work is also a good indicator of the kind of project themes and skills you'll be encouraged to develop on the courses:
NTU 2021 degree work
couldn't find a proper link but here's an Architects' Journal article about Leeds Beckett degree work
Lastly for what it's worth I used to work with a guy who went to NTU for architectural technology, intimidatingly knowledgeable and really good with software, which would seem to indicate that the course there is good at prepping you for life after uni. (Leeds Beckett may well be the same, I just don't know anyone that went there lol)
hope this helps
Thank you so much this does help a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending