The Student Room Group

Young Carer

I'm not sure if I'm a young carer or not.
My mother is a single parent and I care for my younger siblings when she's not at home I cook, clean, bathe, pick them up from school and buy food sometimes. But my siblings aren't disabled.
Original post by ilovedonutss
My mother is a single parent and I care for my younger siblings when she's not at home I cook, clean, bathe, pick them up from school and buy food sometimes. But my siblings aren't disabled.

That wouldn’t normally be classed as being a young carer.

Do you have a social worker? Or are you registered with your council or GP as a carer?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2

I don't think that counts tbh. I'm a young carer and I used to get communication from my local carers service and this is their definition: "A young carer is someone under 18 who helps “care” for another person who needs support due to illness, a disability/ condition, substance misuse or mental health problems." By that definition you are not. But best to check with your local carers especially the ones you recieve communication from, if any.

the definition is someone who looks after long term disabled person so you wouldn't be regarded as YC however you would be regarded for widening access based on other criteria ( financial)
Original post by cloudless-chamel
the definition is someone who looks after long term disabled person so you wouldn't be regarded as YC however you would be regarded for widening access based on other criteria ( financial)

Providing childcare for siblings doesn’t indicate that someone is from a low income household.

WP offers aren’t made on the basis of household income - universities don’t have that information for applicants.
(edited 8 months ago)
Why is it important to be known as a young carer?
Original post by Kutie Karen
Why is it important to be known as a young carer?

It's a contextual flag for some uni admissions policies for certain. May also entitle them to certain benefits perhaps?
Original post by artful_lounger
It's a contextual flag for some uni admissions policies for certain. May also entitle them to certain benefits perhaps?

Oh. That is interesting. Do you know more on this?
Original post by Kutie Karen
Oh. That is interesting. Do you know more on this?

Not really beyond that some unis have contextual admissions policies which often use a range of indicators including eligibility for free school meals, being a young carer, or the POLAR quintile of where they live and/or go to school. If students meet certain criteria through these indicators and other factors they may be eligible for certain contextual schemes - these might include lower offers, or access to certain widening participation schemes (e.g. medicine foundation years).
Original post by artful_lounger
Not really beyond that some unis have contextual admissions policies which often use a range of indicators including eligibility for free school meals, being a young carer, or the POLAR quintile of where they live and/or go to school. If students meet certain criteria through these indicators and other factors they may be eligible for certain contextual schemes - these might include lower offers, or access to certain widening participation schemes (e.g. medicine foundation years).

Thanks. I tried to giv eyou a rep but won't allow it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending