The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

History at Exeter?

Hi, I'm looking at universities to apply to next year and I was wondering if you could study German from scratch at Exeter university? I've never studied Germany in education, although I've done a bit in my spare time, but I want to find a university which allows me to study the language and hopefully allows me to go on a year abroad. Here's the link below.

Thanks

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/history/historyexe/structure/
If it isnt clear from the course description then just email Exeter and ask.

Starting a language from scratch is common at Uni - its called 'language Ab initio ('at the begining'). If you have an aptitude for languages (ie. are already doing another language at A level) then you should cope okay.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by mctruffle
Hi, I'm looking at universities to apply to next year and I was wondering if you could study German from scratch at Exeter university? I've never studied Germany in education, although I've done a bit in my spare time, but I want to find a university which allows me to study the language and hopefully allows me to go on a year abroad. Here's the link below.

Thanks

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/history/historyexe/structure/

Did you ever find out the answer? I'd like to do some time abroad as well but only speak a very narrow amount of French (and I don't want to go to France anyway :tongue: )...

Do you know which countries are options to go? I've had a look but can't find much... I fantasize about going to the Nordic region. :daydreaming: And learn a Nordic (preferable Scandinavian) language. :daydreaming:
Reply 3
No, sorry. I know York and Warwick offer ab.initio language modules and allow you to take year abroads. I'm not sure about scandanavian languages though, I think the closest they offer is German.
Reply 4
I'm starting at Exeter in two weeks, studying History. I have just picked my modules and have chosen to do Intermediate German, although Beginners German was also an option. If you do German modules every year you can finish with a BA in History with proficiency in German. Hope this answers your question :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you very much, this has helped an awful lot. What grades did you get for Exeter if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 6
Original post by haley95
I'm starting at Exeter in two weeks, studying History. I have just picked my modules and have chosen to do Intermediate German, although Beginners German was also an option. If you do German modules every year you can finish with a BA in History with proficiency in German. Hope this answers your question :smile:

Hi Haley95 - when you picked your modules how many did you choose - just enough to get to 120 credits or did you select more options in case first choices not available etc. TVM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending