Original post by WarwickSUJames
I don't mean to boast, but...

:wink:

Might have to one-up you again :wink:

Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 401
Hey! I was wondering whether there is a bus that goes from the uni campus to Central Six shopping centre in Coventry? Or is it easier to get a bus straight to Coventry city centre? (I'm looking for a job) :smile:
Original post by Nirgilis
Might have to one-up you again :wink:

How is that even possible?
Original post by hello calum

Presumably, by being basically the only person using a very high-bandwidth internet connection. Like, say, the main central one for the university.
Reply 404

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over how fast my internet is :ahee:

(I'm going to stop walking round university with an ethernet cable now.. :emo: )

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over how fast my internet is :ahee:

(I'm going to stop walking round university with an ethernet cable now.. :emo: )

So how come you're at university at this time of year?
Reply 406
Since people are talking about download speeds, is there a limit to downloads on the university wifi (for torrent files etc.)? And will downloads be monitored?

This sounds really dodgy and bad but I just mean for downloading music :tongue:
Reply 407
I saw on the Facebook page that torrents don't work in warwick
Reply 408
So how come you're at university at this time of year?

Got a summer project within the chemistry department :yep: . Was in dire need of something to put on my CV :tongue: . Leaving on Saturday though, so making use of the internet while I'm here :ahee:

Summer projects are available in every department of the university - just enquire with your personal tutor to find out specifically about projects for you :yep:

Original post by Callum17
Since people are talking about download speeds, is there a limit to downloads on the university wifi (for torrent files etc.)? And will downloads be monitored?

This sounds really dodgy and bad but I just mean for downloading music :tongue:

Original post by Erika_B
I saw on the Facebook page that torrents don't work in warwick

There are no limits, but then torrent sites will not work either :nah: . If you find one that does work and you're find out, you shall be disconnected for 2 months and fined £70-£100, so be careful. There're fair usage limits written into the ITS terms and conditions somewhere however (I will cite specifics once I've dug them up :tongue: . The lengths I go to for you guys eh :rolleyes: - Right, turns out there WAS an unenforced usage of 1.3 GB per week, but that has since been removed as far as I can tell)

However, while I'm here, please make sure your computer is clean and has antivirus before arriving. Any virus introduced to the network on your computer will be flagged automatically by ITS. You'll be banned until the virus is cleaned and the fined £35 for the privilege :erm: . There're other stuff you must be aware of, such as no hacking or sharing of university secrets and the like :yep:

Other facts: Since 2010, the speed has been increased from an average 200 Kb/s connection to a 10 Mb/s connection, so be thankful!
If you need super-duper quick internet, the theoretical speed you can get out of a campus ethernet port is 1 Gb/s. Plenty :tongue:
How do they feel about live streaming of TV from, erm, less than reputable sites?
Original post by Pterodactyl
How do they feel about live streaming of TV from, erm, less than reputable sites?

if it's something that you could turn a TV on and watch simultaneously, on Sky, digital or whatever, you need a license. However if it's for example sports from a foreign site then no it probably wouldn't be a problem.
Hello :smile: does anyone know when we will find out which halls we've been allocated... All of my friends going to other unis know already... Thanks!! :smile: XxXx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Callum17
That may have had something to do with it... :wink: haha well this one was £4 and one of the others was £21 so I think I'd rather have this one :tongue:

Hahah! Have you been watching the 'Ancient Greece' programme by Dr Michael Scott? - Do you think he'll teach us?
Reply 413
Original post by KatieLou_95
Hello :smile: does anyone know when we will find out which halls we've been allocated... All of my friends going to other unis know already... Thanks!! :smile: XxXx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll find out mid-September :smile: . You'll get an email through explaining it :smile: . Your individual rooms will not have been assigned by that point, so you won't find those out till the week before you arrive :smile:

Bah, people were watching in the library and (probably) in halls.
Reply 415
Original post by TheTallOne

Nice to see you back here! :jumphug: . How's the job going? :colone:

Hehe, as TTO says, it happens all the time. The champions league final this year, there wasn't two rows of computers in the library that didn't have at least one stream of it running :rolleyes: (bearing in mind this was middle of exam revision period :lol: )
Original post by TheTallOne

Hehe, as TTO says, it happens all the time. The champios league final this year, there wasn't two rows of computers in the library that didn't have at least one stream of it running :rolleyes: (bearing in mind this was middle of exam revision period :lol: )

That is good to hear then. :biggrin:
Reply 417
Hey everyone!!This is Joe and I will be studying management this year in Warwick!! Any mates???!!!! So excited about the upcoming first year and just can't wait any more!!!:biggrin:

Being an international student, I have to arrive on Sunday morning because of my flight issue... A bit worried that I may not have enough time for the unpacking and getting around in uni!!! Another concern is that I am really afraid when I arrived, the cupboard may have been filled up already and no room for mine:sad:!!(I choose rootes as first choice...) And ... what should I do if I arrive earlier than 9.30??? cause my plane arrive at Heathrow like around 5!!!!

P.S. REALLY GOOD THREAD, THANK YOU Nirgilis!!!
Original post by JoeQin
Hey everyone!!This is Joe and I will be studying management this year in Warwick!! Any mates???!!!! So excited about the upcoming first year and just can't wait any more!!!:biggrin:

Being an international student, I have to arrive on Sunday morning because of my flight issue... A bit worried that I may not have enough time for the unpacking and getting around in uni!!! Another concern is that I am really afraid when I arrived, the cupboard may have been filled up already and no room for mine:sad:!!(I choose rootes as first choice...) And ... what should I do if I arrive earlier than 9.30??? cause my plane arrive at Heathrow like around 5!!!!

P.S. REALLY GOOD THREAD, THANK YOU Nirgilis!!!

You should be fine for cupboard space; most people are careful to only take their fair share, and if not just ask someone who's taking up too much to scale down - if you don't want to approach them yourself, just talk to your resident tutor about it.

You might end up having to wait around a couple of hours for your key if you arrive that early unfortunately.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 419
Still not received my welcome booklet :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest