The Student Room Group

Advice please?

So, I got my AS results today and I'm bitterly disappointed with them (CCCC). I am going to retake them all but I want to change two of them to Maths and a science (not sure which yet). I want to know whether this would be too much of a risk, seeing as if I fail next year I have no options as we are only allowed to retake the year once. I am dedicated to studying A LOT next year, especially seeing as I will know no one in my year. However, i'm in two minds because Maths and a science (again, I don't know which one) are hard courses, correct? I fear that I may possibly find them too hard and I'll be out of options altogether. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So you want to do retake the 4 Cs and do maths as well as a science, so 6 ASs?

Are you sure you want to retake the year, you could continue with A2 levels and do the resits in January and June next year? Sitting AS levels is always easier the second time and learning A2 content will reinforce the learning as well as adding new content to your knowledge.

What were your subjects in this year? If you want to do maths and science then do but don't overstretch yourself unnecessarily as you only need three A2 levels, you can drop the subject you got the lowest UMS in.

Hope I've helped.
Reply 2
Original post by Ripper-Roo
So you want to do retake the 4 Cs and do maths as well as a science, so 6 ASs?

Are you sure you want to retake the year, you could continue with A2 levels and do the resits in January and June next year? Sitting AS levels is always easier the second time and learning A2 content will reinforce the learning as well as adding new content to your knowledge.

What were your subjects in this year? If you want to do maths and science then do but don't overstretch yourself unnecessarily as you only need three A2 levels, you can drop the subject you got the lowest UMS in.

Hope I've helped.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I meant I'd drop two of my existing AS levels and do Maths and science instead. My current AS Levels are:
Economics - C (3 UMS off a B)
Spanish - C (Close to a B)
English Language - C
ICT - C ( 9 UMS Off a B)

I honestly think I could have put so much more work into these subjects. But, I wanted to do Maths at A-Level but I couldn't as I didn't get a B in Maths GCSE. I retook that in June and I should get a B/A (possibly not, looking at these results....:/) so if I did get at least a B in Maths GCSE, I would be able to do Maths A-Level, which would improve my chances of doing Economics at university. Also, there are no january exams now, it's only June.
Reply 3
Original post by pessimist
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I meant I'd drop two of my existing AS levels and do Maths and science instead. My current AS Levels are:
Economics - C (3 UMS off a B)
Spanish - C (Close to a B)
English Language - C
ICT - C ( 9 UMS Off a B)

I honestly think I could have put so much more work into these subjects. But, I wanted to do Maths at A-Level but I couldn't as I didn't get a B in Maths GCSE. I retook that in June and I should get a B/A (possibly not, looking at these results....:/) so if I did get at least a B in Maths GCSE, I would be able to do Maths A-Level, which would improve my chances of doing Economics at university. Also, there are no january exams now, it's only June.

Don't be too hard on yourself, your grades are B/C borderline and it's perfectly normal to feel you could have done better at AS. See it as a practice for the real thing (A2 levels). What subjects do you want to drop for maths and a science? :crossedf: for your Maths GCSE result. But doing Maths at A-level will definitely help for Economics. :smile:
Reply 4
Don't be too hard on yourself, your grades are B/C borderline and it's perfectly normal to feel you could have done better at AS. See it as a practice for the real thing (A2 levels). What subjects do you want to drop for maths and a science? :crossedf: for your Maths GCSE result. But doing Maths at A-level will definitely help for Economics. :smile:

I know but I honestly was expecting A's and B's at AS :frown: and I'd drop English language and ICT. Thank you, I hope so too, and yes, it is a very big improvement to my qualification set, as I was limited to which Uni's i could approach without Maths.
Reply 5
I know but I honestly was expecting A's and B's at AS :frown: and I'd drop English language and ICT. Thank you, I hope so too, and yes, it is a very big improvement to my qualification set, as I was limited to which Uni's i could approach without Maths.

No problem, hope it works out, do you want to get some papers back to see where you went wrong?
Reply 6
No problem, hope it works out, do you want to get some papers back to see where you went wrong?

Thank you, and me too :biggrin: And, I think i'm going to get a remark on one of my Economics modules as I am 3 UMS away from a B, so i'll probably do that. But, if I did do that, and I decided to retake the AS year, after I'd finished that AS year, could I continue with the B i got in Economics or would it already have been cashed in and unavailable to use? (Sorry this is so confusing!)
Reply 7
Thank you, and me too :biggrin: And, I think i'm going to get a remark on one of my Economics modules as I am 3 UMS away from a B, so i'll probably do that. But, if I did do that, and I decided to retake the AS year, after I'd finished that AS year, could I continue with the B i got in Economics or would it already have been cashed in and unavailable to use? (Sorry this is so confusing!)

As you probably know, if you resit a module they always take the highest grade. You can restart and resit and don't take my word for it, but most of the time resits tend to be better or stay the same, it's unlikely they'll significantly reduce unless you have an unlucky day. Unfortunately I'm not sure whether they take into consideration you've already sat Economics AS and plan to do so again and how much difference it makes, sorry :colondollar: Have you contacted your sixth form/college to ask?
Reply 8
As you probably know, if you resit a module they always take the highest grade. You can restart and resit and don't take my word for it, but most of the time resits tend to be better or stay the same, it's unlikely they'll significantly reduce unless you have an unlucky day. Unfortunately I'm not sure whether they take into consideration you've already sat Economics AS and plan to do so again and how much difference it makes, sorry :colondollar: Have you contacted your sixth form/college to ask?

Sorry, I'm making it far too confusing than what it actually is :redface:. I meant, I would leave Economics out of the AS year as I already have a B and do other subjects in that year to strengthen my other subjects. I don't know if this makes sense :lol:
Reply 9
Sorry, I'm making it far too confusing than what it actually is :redface:. I meant, I would leave Economics out of the AS year as I already have a B and do other subjects in that year to strengthen my other subjects. I don't know if this makes sense :lol:

Ohhh yes it does make sense! Sorry I read it quickly.

You already have it saved as a qualification and you resit it if you want. Doing AS subjects along that is fine.
Reply 10
Ohhh yes it does make sense! Sorry I read it quickly.

You already have it saved as a qualification and you resit it if you want. Doing AS subjects along that is fine.

Yes, that's what I meant :lol: and thank you for all of your help, you have managed to make a very dejected and unhappy person, much more optimistic, thank you! Now i think i'll go and do some extensive reviewing of grade boundaries and work out whether retaking the year or resitting individual modules is the best option.
Reply 11
Yes, that's what I meant :lol: and thank you for all of your help, you have managed to make a very dejected and unhappy person, much more optimistic, thank you! Now i think i'll go and do some extensive reviewing of grade boundaries and work out whether retaking the year or resitting individual modules is the best option.

Very pleased to hear that I helped you! Not doing as well as you hoped is not the end of the world, it's all about how you 'recover' and not let it knock you back too much. Whatever you choose I hope it works out! :smile:
So, I got my AS results today and I'm bitterly disappointed with them (CCCC). I am going to retake them all but I want to change two of them to Maths and a science (not sure which yet). I want to know whether this would be too much of a risk, seeing as if I fail next year I have no options as we are only allowed to retake the year once. I am dedicated to studying A LOT next year, especially seeing as I will know no one in my year. However, i'm in two minds because Maths and a science (again, I don't know which one) are hard courses, correct? I fear that I may possibly find them too hard and I'll be out of options altogether. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Well, AS Maths is quite easy so you shouldn't have a problem but it depends on what science you're planning on taking.

It isn't too difficult if you dedicate a set amount of time a week to study. Also, you will need to consider whether you will be taking these re-takes alongside your A2s. If so, you will really need to be dedicated but it's not impossible. Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Very pleased to hear that I helped you! Not doing as well as you hoped is not the end of the world, it's all about how you 'recover' and not let it knock you back too much. Whatever you choose I hope it works out! :smile:

Thank you, once again :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by sneha.vag
Well, AS Maths is quite easy so you shouldn't have a problem but it depends on what science you're planning on taking.

It isn't too difficult if you dedicate a set amount of time a week to study. Also, you will need to consider whether you will be taking these re-takes alongside your A2s. If so, you will really need to be dedicated but it's not impossible. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the reply, and really? And, it would be Biology or Chemistry. And no, I think what i'm going to do them alongside my A2s, i'm going to retake the AS year.
Thanks for the reply, and really? And, it would be Biology or Chemistry. And no, I think what i'm going to do them alongside my A2s, i'm going to retake the AS year.

Well, it depends on what units you are required to take for your AS Maths?

Biology is not so bad either. However, I had to take up Biology when I didn't take it up during GCSEs but it wasn't too difficult. Truth is all you need is time- time to read and time to revise thoroughly.

If that's the case, you shouldn't worry. You will be able to manage just fine :smile:
Reply 16
Well, it depends on what units you are required to take for your AS Maths?

Biology is not so bad either. However, I had to take up Biology when I didn't take it up during GCSEs but it wasn't too difficult. Truth is all you need is time- time to read and time to revise thoroughly.

If that's the case, you shouldn't worry. You will be able to manage just fine :smile:

I'm not actually sure :redface: I need to check what units they do at my sixth form for Maths. And i'm only picking a science because there's no coursework, which is what caused such bad results. Also, it is much more respected than the ones I plan to drop. Thanks for your help, i definitely feel much better now! :smile:
I'm not actually sure :redface: I need to check what units they do at my sixth form for Maths. And i'm only picking a science because there's no coursework, which is what caused such bad results. Also, it is much more respected than the ones I plan to drop. Thanks for your help, i definitely feel much better now! :smile:

You should definitely check them out. The 3 units that I did at AS were C1, C2 and an optional module (for me this was S1). As you can see that wasn't too difficult a combo so if yours is something like that you shouldn't have too much trouble.

That is true- sciences are traditional subjects and they are valued by admission tutors.

No problem, I know what it's like. I'm glad I could help. Do feel free to ask any more questions if you want to. Good luck :smile:
Could someone help me???

I got an A for History, 2 Cs for Psych and English and a D for Maths. **** maths tho, mechanics killed me. Would it still be possible for me to get into AAB unis though; my UMS was close to a B for English, so if by chance I was predicted an A for it by my teacher, does anyone think unis may accept me?
Reply 19
You should definitely check them out. The 3 units that I did at AS were C1, C2 and an optional module (for me this was S1). As you can see that wasn't too difficult a combo so if yours is something like that you shouldn't have too much trouble.

That is true- sciences are traditional subjects and they are valued by admission tutors.

No problem, I know what it's like. I'm glad I could help. Do feel free to ask any more questions if you want to. Good luck :smile:

Okay, so at my sixth form they do D1, C1 and C2 at AS. Are these hard? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest