Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Just wondering if anyone's got any tips as to how we should go about answering the different question types for tomorrow's History exam. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    What are your two depth studies? We do Russia and Germany - either of those? I'm scared

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it not about depth studies? I thought it was about British Society?

ReputationRep:
    I do Russia and Germany too. I am absolutely freaking out. There is no way i can remember all the little details too. After RS yesterday, my hand still hasn't recovered. Tomorrow will be plain and downright scary.

ReputationRep:
    How about we do some revision together? I'm scared stiff so we might as well help each other out...

First up, I have a question: how do you do those "Why are x and y different" source questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilute)
    Isn't it not about depth studies? I thought it was about British Society?
    There is definitely Depth studies. Are you sure you are doing Spec B? Its either 2 of these 4, Russia, Germany, Britain and USA.

You need atleast 2 since you are only allowed to do 1 question on each.

ReputationRep:
    Excalibur, I will but I want to finish my whole revision before I start this. How about we all go and revise all of our History courses till say about 4 or 5 and then do a proper brainstorm?

Oh and to answer your question, Look at the sources and pick out the message that it is intending to give to its reader. Just describe the similarities and differences of the actual message sent to the reader.

Good luck revising! I will be back in a few hours

ReputationRep:
    If it asks about what caused the February/October revolution, this is what you do:

Para 1 - Intro.
    Para 2 - Popular discontent.
    Para 3 - Revolutionary organizations
    Para 4 - Weakened regime
    Para 5 - Trigger
    Para 6 - Conclusion (say which was most important)

I got 14/15 (I didn't say which was most important) when I did that essay. But that kind of question is quite likely to come up for the pre-Stalin bits.

ReputationRep:
    Aaah I'm so scared, I'm doing Germany and USA for my depth studies. Yeah that sounds like a good idea Sparklie, I've been revising for a bit already so when I've covered everything I'll come back later =]
    Hang on though, is anyone else doing the USA or am I the only one?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm doing Germany and USA as mine, really need to revise them especially all those New Deal acronyms e.g. AAA, CCC , TVA, WPA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeathAwaitsU)
    If it asks about what caused the February/October revolution, this is what you do:

Para 1 - Intro.
    Para 2 - Popular discontent.
    Para 3 - Revolutionary organizations
    Para 4 - Weakened regime
    Para 5 - Trigger
    Para 6 - Conclusion (say which was most important)

I got 14/15 (I didn't say which was most important) when I did that essay. But that kind of question is quite likely to come up for the pre-Stalin bits.
    Good one My structure is similar:

1) Intro
    2) Weaknesses of the Tsarist government --> how this led to opposition groups that threatened authority & discontent
    3) WW1 - trigger, as it highlighted the weaknesses
    4) Conclusion - I usually say the weaknesses were more important but it doesn't matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_man_1066)
    Nope, I'm doing Germany and USA as mine, really need to revise them especially all those New Deal acronyms e.g. AAA, CCC , TVA, WPA
    Haha yeah, we got told to just learn a couple so that we can quote what Roosevelt did to improve things. I don't think we need every single one!
    Yay that you're doing the same as me, btw.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya if your doing Russia and Germany tomorrow go to http://www.johndclare.net and click on last night revision follow the links and there will be info on how to answer questions. Its really good he is one of my history teachers and is a godsend even if he does talk about his partially deaf mam who was given the job of listening out for air raids in world war 2!! lol

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone's revision going?

By the way, if we do russia do we need to know about life in Stalin's russia, apart from the purges/terror/propaganda/censorship? I mean, for the Nazi germany we learn about youth, work, women etc but not for Russia.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You need to know that Stalin set up youth communist clubs to spread communism, women were treated as equals way before Stalin (one of Lenin's first orders in Nov. 1917 was to declare woman equal). Hmm. Work, well you need to know about in the five year plans people were punsihed for being late and wages were calculated on the amount of product produced.

And for the essay plan above what is the weakened regime? I understand the rest but I don't understand what the weakened regime is lol. Ohhh. Do you mean about how there was corruption and stuff in the government?

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing Germany and the USA. i've revised quite a lot but i'm feeling the pressure because i ran out of time on paper 1 and don't think i did as well as i should have done.
    paper 2 is usually my weaker one but this time i need to do equally well or better than the first paper to make sure i get the grade i want. i'm so nervous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    First up, I have a question: how do you do those "Why are x and y different" source questions?
    I usually do them like this, ( I thinkits right.

I usually start with like a one line introduction just saying I am going to lok at how and why the sources differ.
    Then I write a paragraph on the first source, saying who it was written by, who its audience is, when was it written etc; and I usually briefly describe what the source is talking about.
    Then I write a paragraph about the second source and I do the same, (who it was written by etc;.
    Then I do a conclusion saying why the sources are different.

(The answers usually the sources were written at different times, by different authors with differing views/opinions, they were also targeted at different audiences, and written for different purposes etc;

I hope this helps because im REALLY bad at explaing things. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzyd)
    i'm doing Germany and the USA. i've revised quite a lot but i'm feeling the pressure because i ran out of time on paper 1 and don't think i did as well as i should have done.
    paper 2 is usually my weaker one but this time i need to do equally well or better than the first paper to make sure i get the grade i want. i'm so nervous!
    I did the exact same thing (ran out of time)! Paper 2 is my weaker one too, and I need a good mark on it to push my grade up.

Im sure you'll do really well, good luck

ReputationRep:
    thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    Im really really worried about tomorrow. May be because I havent actually finished the course yet, but also because I just know i'll either forget or not understand what the question asks.

The techniques and everything are just a blur in my mind now...

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.