The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are your two depth studies? We do Russia and Germany - either of those? I'm scared :frown:
Reply 2
Isn't it not about depth studies? I thought it was about British Society?
Reply 3
I do Russia and Germany too. I am absolutely freaking out. There is no way i can remember all the little details too. After RS yesterday, my hand still hasn't recovered. Tomorrow will be plain and downright scary.
Reply 4
How about we do some revision together? I'm scared stiff so we might as well help each other out...

First up, I have a question: how do you do those "Why are x and y different" source questions? :frown:
Reply 5
Dilute
Isn't it not about depth studies? I thought it was about British Society?

There is definitely Depth studies. Are you sure you are doing Spec B? Its either 2 of these 4, Russia, Germany, Britain and USA.

You need atleast 2 since you are only allowed to do 1 question on each.
Reply 6
Excalibur, I will but I want to finish my whole revision before I start this. How about we all go and revise all of our History courses till say about 4 or 5 and then do a proper brainstorm?

Oh and to answer your question, Look at the sources and pick out the message that it is intending to give to its reader. Just describe the similarities and differences of the actual message sent to the reader.

Good luck revising! I will be back in a few hours :smile:
Reply 7
If it asks about what caused the February/October revolution, this is what you do:

Para 1 - Intro.
Para 2 - Popular discontent.
Para 3 - Revolutionary organizations
Para 4 - Weakened regime
Para 5 - Trigger
Para 6 - Conclusion (say which was most important)

I got 14/15 (I didn't say which was most important) when I did that essay. But that kind of question is quite likely to come up for the pre-Stalin bits.
Aaah I'm so scared, I'm doing Germany and USA for my depth studies. Yeah that sounds like a good idea Sparklie, I've been revising for a bit already so when I've covered everything I'll come back later =]
Hang on though, is anyone else doing the USA or am I the only one?
Nope, I'm doing Germany and USA as mine, really need to revise them especially all those New Deal acronyms e.g. AAA, CCC , TVA, WPA
DeathAwaitsU
If it asks about what caused the February/October revolution, this is what you do:

Para 1 - Intro.
Para 2 - Popular discontent.
Para 3 - Revolutionary organizations
Para 4 - Weakened regime
Para 5 - Trigger
Para 6 - Conclusion (say which was most important)

I got 14/15 (I didn't say which was most important) when I did that essay. But that kind of question is quite likely to come up for the pre-Stalin bits.

Good one :smile: My structure is similar:

1) Intro
2) Weaknesses of the Tsarist government --> how this led to opposition groups that threatened authority & discontent
3) WW1 - trigger, as it highlighted the weaknesses
4) Conclusion - I usually say the weaknesses were more important but it doesn't matter
a_man_1066
Nope, I'm doing Germany and USA as mine, really need to revise them especially all those New Deal acronyms e.g. AAA, CCC , TVA, WPA

Haha yeah, we got told to just learn a couple so that we can quote what Roosevelt did to improve things. I don't think we need every single one!
Yay that you're doing the same as me, btw. :smile:
Hiya if your doing Russia and Germany tomorrow go to http://www.johndclare.net and click on last night revision follow the links and there will be info on how to answer questions. Its really good he is one of my history teachers and is a godsend even if he does talk about his partially deaf mam who was given the job of listening out for air raids in world war 2!! lol
How is everyone's revision going?

By the way, if we do russia do we need to know about life in Stalin's russia, apart from the purges/terror/propaganda/censorship? I mean, for the Nazi germany we learn about youth, work, women etc but not for Russia.
Reply 14
You need to know that Stalin set up youth communist clubs to spread communism, women were treated as equals way before Stalin (one of Lenin's first orders in Nov. 1917 was to declare woman equal). Hmm. Work, well you need to know about in the five year plans people were punsihed for being late and wages were calculated on the amount of product produced.

And for the essay plan above what is the weakened regime? I understand the rest but I don't understand what the weakened regime is lol. Ohhh. Do you mean about how there was corruption and stuff in the government?
Reply 15
i'm doing Germany and the USA. i've revised quite a lot but i'm feeling the pressure because i ran out of time on paper 1 and don't think i did as well as i should have done.
paper 2 is usually my weaker one but this time i need to do equally well or better than the first paper to make sure i get the grade i want. i'm so nervous!
Reply 16
Excalibur

First up, I have a question: how do you do those "Why are x and y different" source questions? :frown:

I usually do them like this, ( I thinkits right.

I usually start with like a one line introduction just saying I am going to lok at how and why the sources differ.
Then I write a paragraph on the first source, saying who it was written by, who its audience is, when was it written etc; and I usually briefly describe what the source is talking about.
Then I write a paragraph about the second source and I do the same, (who it was written by etc;.
Then I do a conclusion saying why the sources are different.

(The answers usually the sources were written at different times, by different authors with differing views/opinions, they were also targeted at different audiences, and written for different purposes etc;

I hope this helps because im REALLY bad at explaing things. :rolleyes:
Reply 17
lizzyd
i'm doing Germany and the USA. i've revised quite a lot but i'm feeling the pressure because i ran out of time on paper 1 and don't think i did as well as i should have done.
paper 2 is usually my weaker one but this time i need to do equally well or better than the first paper to make sure i get the grade i want. i'm so nervous!

I did the exact same thing (ran out of time)! Paper 2 is my weaker one too, and I need a good mark on it to push my grade up.

Im sure you'll do really well, good luck
Reply 18
thanks, you too:smile:
Reply 19
Im really really worried about tomorrow. May be because I havent actually finished the course yet, but also because I just know i'll either forget or not understand what the question asks.

The techniques and everything are just a blur in my mind now...

Latest