The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
abrp
ps forgot to mention when we first came to the country we had the chance to buy a "title" of some scottish noble...for very cheap..like 300k or something...included a castle (or an option to buy one..dont rember..i was very young)..if only my mum hadnt stopped my farther agreeing..you people could have been refering to me as Sir...or w/e :frown:

I thought that was Illegal :confused:

Or is that just Lordships?
alstoof
Your class doesn't box you, it's just who are you are, the way you where raised and what shapes you. It's like the town you where born in you can't change that, that will always be where you came from, but you can move town in later life.

yeh sure you can change all that, but people who remember you from when you were young, remember where you came from, and saw what kind of an upbringing you had, and to them that's all you will ever be known as.

you ever heard the 60s song "where do you go to my lovely"?
Middle class. Though in the US, its only the $$$ that matter.
HagerVor

i dunno..i was like 5 at the time.

Mum didnt care about those things and dad has died 4 years ago.

All i know is that if we had the chance to buy a Title..and i dont see how thats illegal? although i maybe confusing it with something.

involves "Sir" and castles and poor nobilty :biggrin:
im just class :wink:
Reply 205
HagerVor

Life peerages, yes, that's illegal.

In Scotland a precedent for buying noble titles was set when the government (this was pre-UK era) was skint and sold them off for a while.

abrp
i dunno..i was like 5 at the time.

Mum didnt care about those things and dad has died 4 years ago.

All i know is that if we had the chance to buy a Title..and i dont see how thats illegal? although i maybe confusing it with something.

involves "Sir" and castles and poor nobilty :biggrin:

So a baronetcy then? The lowest title of semi-nobility.
i really dont know.

maybe.

was over 11 years ago (add to the fact that my mum + dad couldnt speak english).

but i doubt we would have been given the chance to buy a place in the house of lords :wink:
Reply 207
Feudal baronies - the ones for sale - are not actually noble per se, but are certainly respected across the world. Unlike in England, Scottish ones actually flow from the monarch.

Scottish lords never had full rights to sit in the House of Lords - they elected representative peers from amongst themselves because there was simply too many of them. Even then, a feudal baron would not have had this right.
well..its better than nothing.

shame we didnt get it.

would have been a bit rediculous seeing as my parents couldnt speak english (and as a result we went to live in an area in Rochester with our friends who could and as a result i was sent to like the worst private school in England lol Kings School Rochester..thank god i managed to work my ass of and get out of there!)
Reply 209
based on household income then working class
anything else then internet geek class xD
Reply 210
I voted middle class but thinking about it, I'm probably more lower-middle. Well, I'm a mix of everything really. I went to a crappy comp, as did my sister, but then she'll graduate from a redbrick uni and go onto an MA at another, and I will start at one this year. My dad's an architect, my mum works at my primary school's after school club, and the household income is enough to ensure that I am entitled to no uni bursaries, nor EMA when I was at sixth form :rolleyes:, but my parents are always grousing about having no money. We have 2 cars but our house is kinda small. We live in a nice postcode of Bham but on an average road.

It's all about priorities isn't it? My parents are tight-fisted and all that so they potentially *could* get this or that, but choose not to, and save it up instead. Some people with less money may choose to sacrifice certain things to send their children to private school; my folks didn't. I'm not gonna cry about it or anything, the 'rents have a Scrooge-ish approach to money and that's all there is to it.

So errr, anyway: I'd say I am lower middle class.

Latest

Trending

Trending