The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by souktik
Ah, okay. Thanks for the response. :smile:
Even if that's not completely accurate, a relatively weak college at Oxford is still a relatively weak college at Oxford! :tongue:

Very true :smile: And if I remember well, St John's is a pretty academic college anyway, so I really wouldn't worry about that if I were you :tongue:
Reply 621
Original post by jadoreétudier
Does anyone want to do the 1999 and or 2002 papers?

I posted yesterday but fear my post has been lost in the conversation.

:smile:

Okay, I'll take a look at the 2002 paper now. :smile:
Reply 622
Original post by souktik
Hey, how is St John's for math? I didn't research much before applying, to be honest.

like what bluebell said i heard st johns and merton are regarded as pretty top academically (and st johns is richerst!)

Does anyone want to do the 1999 and or 2002 papers?

I posted yesterday but fear my post has been lost in the conversation.

:smile:

i did the 1999 paper a few days ago but the paper ive done it on has now been binned! im going to do 2002 paper today though, so ill be sure to compare answers with you later in the evening!
Reply 623
Original post by IceKidd
like what bluebell said i heard st johns and merton are regarded as pretty top academically (and st johns is richerst!)

i did the 1999 paper a few days ago but the paper ive done it on has now been binned! im going to do 2002 paper today though, so ill be sure to compare answers with you later in the evening!

Okay, thanks, and please tell me if your Part 1 answers are the same as mine. I'm not absolutely confident about a couple, but I hardly feel like checking carefully. :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 624
Original post by yl95
Merton would be one of them!

Also, Balliol, Magdalen and New but I'm not sure how much that holds true. Noble would know better than me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no such thing as an academic powerhouse really. Merton may have had that reputation, but from speaking to two people I've known studying maths at Merton they're more laid back than my college (New) for maths. I think I remember also the user "anyone_can_fly" on here, who studies maths at Merton, saying that last year no-one got more than 40% in collections and it wasn't much of an issue. If you get less than 40% in collections at my college the main tutor will put you on an official warning :lol:

EDIT: I picked out Merton because that's really the only college people think is the most demanding academically, and it isn't really true at all.
Reply 625
Does anyone else feel that the "-" between c and 1/c in the first line of problem 3 actually be a "+"?

Anyway, here are some of the answers - I'm not writing any solutions or proofs here - that I got:

Spoiler

Can someone help me with 2010 Q3 part i? I don't understand the bit about multiplying through the inequality

sinx<x<tanx sin x < x < tan x
by
cos(x) cos(x)

Shouldn't that give you
sinxcosx<xcosx<sinx sin x cos x < x cos x < sin x ?

Mark scheme attached

2010.PNG
Reply 627
Original post by shayiqbal
Can someone help me with 2010 Q3 part i? I don't understand the bit about multiplying through the inequality

sinx<x<tanx sin x < x < tan x
by
cos(x) cos(x)

Shouldn't that give you
sinxcosx<xcosx<sinx sin x cos x < x cos x < sin x ?

You only need to multiply the second part of the inequality, x<tanx x < tan x by cos(x) cos(x).
As you have noted yourself, that gives you the result xcosx<sinx x cos x < sin x .
Combine this with the first part of the original inequality, sinx<x sin x < x to get the result xcosx<sinx<x x cos x < sin x < x .
Hope this helps. I'll be happy to clarify any ambiguities in my explanation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by souktik
You only need to multiply the second part of the inequality, x<tanx x < tan x by cos(x) cos(x).
As you have noted yourself, that gives you the result xcosx<sinx x cos x < sin x .
Combine this with the first part of the original inequality, sinx<x sin x < x to get the result xcosx<sinx<x x cos x < sin x < x .
Hope this helps. I'll be happy to clarify any ambiguities in my explanation.

Thank you for the reply.

I see now you only multiply the second part of the inequality, which makes sense, but that would give you (if I understand this right) sinx<xcosx<sinx sinx < xcosx < sinx which makes no sense? How did you rearrange the terms to get the required result?

Again, thanks for your time!
Reply 629
Thank you for the reply.

I see now you only multiply the second part of the inequality, which makes sense, but that would give you (if I understand this right) sinx<xcosx<sinx sinx < xcosx < sinx which makes no sense? How did you rearrange the terms to get the required result?

Again, thanks for your time!

No problem, happy to help. See, sinx<x<tanx sinx < x < tanx actually stands for two separate inequalities which have been combined:
sinx<x sinx < x (1) and x<tanx x < tanx (2). You take just the second one, multiply it by cosx cosx . That gives you the inequality xcosx<sinx xcosx < sinx (3). Now combine (1) and (3)
to get the final result:
xcosx<sinx<x xcosx < sinx < x .
Is this okay?
Original post by souktik
No problem, happy to help. See, sinx<x<tanx sinx < x < tanx actually stands for two separate inequalities which have been combined:
sinx<x sinx < x (1) and x<tanx x < tanx (2). You take just the second one, multiply it by cosx cosx . That gives you the inequality xcosx<sinx xcosx < sinx (3). Now combine (1) and (3)
to get the final result:
xcosx<sinx<x xcosx < sinx < x .
Is this okay?

Ah I see! Thank you ever so much :smile:
Reply 631
Ah I see! Thank you ever so much :smile:

You're welcome. :biggrin:
guys when it says label a turning point. e.g 2006 q3

do you have to write coordinates- its a messy surd which youd have to cube to get the y value which makes even more messy.
Reply 633
2012 q5

Spoiler

Could someone explain the underlined part?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 634
Original post by seohyun
2012 q5

Spoiler

Could someone explain the underlined part?

Yeah, sure, I'll try.

m0 is 3, right?

That means:
m_1=2.m_0=3.2; m_2=2.m_1=3.2^2; m_3=2.m_2=3.2^3... m_n=2.m_(n-1)=3.2^n

[You]

Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 635
Original post by souktik
Yeah, sure, I'll try.

m0 is 3, right?

That means:
m_1=2.m_0=3.2; m_2=2.m_1=3.2^2; m_3=2.m_2=3.2^3... m_n=2.m_(n-1)=3.2^n

[You]

Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, it somewhat clearer now. :smile:

Reply 636
Original post by souktik
Okay, thanks, and please tell me if your Part 1 answers are the same as mine. I'm not absolutely confident about a couple, but I hardly feel like checking carefully. :tongue:

Spoiler

i got exact same for errything :biggrin: except for I. i put d) but i wernt too sure on that. i didnt get how to use the ii and iv bit.

if ur pretty sure ur right, can u explain it to me please
Reply 637
I've done 1999 and 2002 from this website:
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm
Although there aren't solutions. Would anyone else like to do them too and then we can compare our answers?
My answers for both papers:

Spoiler

for no.2 obviously thats in another paper. for number 3 you havent done yet,

for number 4 i agree with ur parts i,ii,iii. on the last part i agree wit ur coord wer the max value occurs and that its 1. but u also need to find the minimum value which i got to be (1/sqrt2) at ({+or-}0.5,{+or-}0.5)

numberr 5 i dont get -.-
Reply 638
Original post by IceKidd
i got exact same for errything :biggrin: except for I. i put d) but i wernt too sure on that. i didnt get how to use the ii and iv bit.

if ur pretty sure ur right, can u explain it to me please

Err, can you please remind me what the question was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IceKidd, are you an international applicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending